Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #THU - The Marvels $1.2M, Priscilla $418K, Freddys $355K, KotFM $347K, Holdovers $263K

The reason why 'The Marvels' is bad for the MCU moving forward is because the brand has taken a big hit to its reputation.  There were already issues with many of the TV shows being mediocre, Ant-Man 3 being terrible and not making nearly as much money as they thought and the horrendous Secret Invasion debacle. Now anyone is talking about is how the MCU is trash now compared to what it once was.  

These box office bomb headlines are everywhere right now.  I saw segments on MSNBC about it.  The sentiment out there is the MCU has a quality problem.  

That might not spell disaster for 'Deadpool 3' but it could definitely hurt the other upcoming shows and movies. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I still don't feel like people comprehend just how lacking Marvel was at hyping this film themselves. Sure, there was a strike going on, but the largest promotional push I saw for the film was a cat cam on Youtube a week before release. 

We have over a year until any of those projects you mentioned hit theaters, so there's more than enough time to rebuild hype.

Hell, just look at how people reacted to the Echo trailer. That show is getting more love by Marvel Studios than The Marvels did, with an actual screening of two episode at an event!

They spent more on TV ads for The Marvels then they did Endgame. It got plenty of marketing push.

Marvels - $27.6M

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/391015/the-marvels-hits-franchise-low-with-47m-start.html

Endgame - $20.7M

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/335168/endgame-hits-massive-box-office-records-with-mo.html

GOTG3 - $21.1M

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/385135/summer-movies-rising-disneys-guardians-of-the-g.html

• Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

6 hours ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Currently predicting a $15.8m second weekend and a total of ~$71m by its second weekend. Taking it through Thanksgiving it'll be just under $90m. I think with Thanksgiving it'll still be able to clear $100m but there's a much closer ceiling after that.

But with a B Cinemascore and losing PLF unlike Ant-Man 3 isn’t that second weekend number little higher?

This movie defeated Ant-Man 1 for the lowest MCU opening weekend in terms of admissions. And it'll probably sell ~45% of Ant-Man 1 admissions in total domestically.

You know what? Only one out of seven live action CBMs this year will be higher than Ant-Man 1 in domestic total admissions.  :hahaha::hahaha:

Hell, 4/7 (maybe even 5/7) will be lower than half of Ant-Man 1 in domestic total admissions 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Haha 1

Multiverse of Madness really was Marvel's very own Batman v Superman in hindsight. It's incredible how quickly things change in just a year. At the start of 2022, Marvel was still a force be reckoned with. But now, as 2023 wraps up, they're a laughingstock. If it wasn't for the Marvel vs DC club veto, I'd have seriously considered making a Kang Dynasty<Josstice League club.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Multiverse of Madness really was Marvel's very own Batman v Superman in hindsight. It's incredible how quickly things change in just a year. At the start of 2022, Marvel was still a force be reckoned with. But now, as 2023 wraps up, they're a laughingstock. If it wasn't for the Marvel vs DC club veto, I'd have seriously considered making a Kang Dynasty<Josstice League club.

Fast X numbers. 

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Fast X numbers. 

Too much.

MCU will long since have been a dead zombie franchise by the time they get to another Avengers movie.

After Deadpool they’ve got:

Falcon America: Brave New World.

Thunderbolts

Blade with 50+ year old Ali.

Iron Heart TV Show

Echo TV Show

There’s no way they maintain enough interest for $700M for the next 3 or 4 years with all this content about D list characters nobody cares about.

• Like 2

Avengers movies will live or die on their WOM.

As long as they at the very least fun  crowdpleasers, there is enough for 1-1.5B+ especially if they dig into the cameo route .

Sub 1bn seems like exaggerated  this far out. 

Spiderman ,Xmen and F4 if in right hands still have potential.

I can agree on this, the era of interconnected cinematic universes is numbered. Infinity saga was the first of it's kind and was special. Now it has reduced novelty . See multiverse saga limping to the finish line ,and maybe the mutant saga and that's about it .

Superhero fare is definitely going down in terms of popularity and they simply won't have enough appeal to justify mega budgets for spawning massive interconnected stories and crossovers.

CBMs will revert to standalone  and pocket universes (Nolan trilogy, raimi SM trilogy) for some of the popular ones that bring in some money.

Don't think they will die out  horribly like  westerns . 

Saw an article on Reddit stating 19% of marvels OW was Gen Z. So yeah they starting to clearly move away from  CBMS.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

I can’t put this down to anything but most people not having seen Ms Marvel, Wandavision, or both. 
If I hadn’t seen them both then I wouldn’t be going either. I think the interest is there, but nobody wants to show up mid-season, without having seen the rest of it.

Even Fury’s presence will have people thinking “oh yeah, he’s in that Invasion show I haven’t got round to yet.”

Having it all interconnected has backfired massively since Disney+ came on the scene and blew up the surest thing in the business. It's really pathetic when you look at what they've brought upon themselves. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I still don't feel like people comprehend just how lacking Marvel was at hyping this film themselves. Sure, there was a strike going on, but the largest promotional push I saw for the film was a cat cam on Youtube a week before release. 

We have over a year until any of those projects you mentioned hit theaters, so there's more than enough time to rebuild hype.

Hell, just look at how people reacted to the Echo trailer. That show is getting more love by Marvel Studios than The Marvels did, with an actual screening of two episode at an event!

There was a good amount of promotion for The Marvels. An example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D3amY0lAOfAs&ved=2ahUKEwjP0ov5hcaCAxXwILkGHfdvAHoQwqsBegQIDhAG&usg=AOvVaw0hjQ8-kV4sf6LMG3IfRdEr

There is a lack of hype for The Marvels, but that's more likely due to lack of interest on the brand and characters.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Kon said:

There was a good amount of promotion for The Marvels. An example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D3amY0lAOfAs&ved=2ahUKEwjP0ov5hcaCAxXwILkGHfdvAHoQwqsBegQIDhAG&usg=AOvVaw0hjQ8-kV4sf6LMG3IfRdEr

There is a lack of hype for The Marvels, but that's more likely due to lack of interest on the brand and characters.

plenty know about it. They just think they’re ineligible to see it as they’re out of the loop. 

This is not seen as an MCU movie, and more a feature length follow up to television shows not everyone has seen. 

I tend to see AtSV a little as its own thing and not a 'pure' CBM since it is animated rather than live action.

But even if you include it, it appears only 2 CBM's are likely to turn a profit for movie studios this year, AtSV and GOTG3. 

Everything else is going to end up being somewhere between a loss and a major loss.

That is something studios are going to have to react to. 

I think every reason that has been mentioned plays a part in the Marvels poor performance (and frankly the poor performance of CBM's in general). 

The zeitgeist for CBM's was the 2010's - but we are past that now. A good CBM will still make alot of money. But a mediocre to poor one is going to lose money. It's up to the studios to realize this and make better movies (at a lower cost) or CBM's will start to have a long term negative bottom line on profits.

We are in a different environment than we were 4 years ago. I think the overall ceiling for movies is lower than it was pre-pandemic. Fewer people are going to the movies and I don't really see that changing. I hardly think CBM's are going the way of Westerns, but I no longer see them as a dominant force at the theaters. 

My 20-yr old son sort of exemplifies this. Before COVID he was an opening night viewer of Marvel and SW movies.

That is no longer the case. And it is not because he doesn't like Marvel or hasn't seen the D+ shows (he has seen every one of them).

He hasn't seen any Marvel movie post-COVID on opening night.

The only CBMs he was excited to see in theaters were SM:NWH and AtSV.

He made the decision pretty early on that The Marvels and AM:Q were films he was happy to wait until they were on D+ to watch. (he largely felt the same way about MoM and especially LT). From the trailers he did not see them as 'good enough' movies that he wanted to see them in a theater. He is much more picky about what he is willing to see in a theater and he sees far fewer movies in theaters than he did pre-COVID (at best he sees 1/3 as many movies now in theaters as pre-COVID). He is more interested in having game night with his friends than movie night with them and they now have a game night every Friday night. He watched FNAF - but he watched it on Peacock, not in a theater. He wasn't interest in seeing it in a theater but was happy to watch it on streaming.

I think the combination of COVID and a raft of mediocre to poor movies in his preferred movie genres has led him to decide that movie going just isn't as important part of his life as they were pre-COVID.

• Like 2

It's the same for me and all the people I know. Before we could muster a group of people, different people every time, to go watch marvel movies in theaters. It was really easy. Basically you just asked and available people would jump in the occasion.

Now it's just... over. Nobody cares about Marvel movies anymore in my group of friends. But I already have people that want to go see Dune 2 with me. I went to see Barbie with people easily. Oppenheimer, easy. Mission Impossible, easy. The balance has shifted massively. A caveat: GOTG3 was easy as if suddenly it was the good old times. Anecdotical, I know, but still.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 7