Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #THU - The Marvels $1.2M, Priscilla $418K, Freddys $355K, KotFM $347K, Holdovers $263K

We'll see if the final number is slightly higher at 1.8M. Overall I don't see anything special happening. I'm just waiting for the 60+% second weekend drop so that MCU fans can let go of this Elemental legs fantasy. Elemental isn't even a good comp for The Marvels even if it did have legs. It's a PG-13 rated MCU movie while Elemental is a Pixar movie. I just despise that comparison. 

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

1.6-1.7m  Thursday 

WF had 8.9* IM which would put it at around 14m -15m . That would be a 67-67-68% drop . 

And that had good WOM lol. Quantumania escaped 70% drop. Will marvels be the first.

Neither QM nor WF lost all PLFs on weekend2.

For me, The Marvels' bombage now has entered the "kind of (embarrassingly) sad" territory, falling off from the "hilarious" stage.

Because even though i personally dont care for Marvel anymore, its still a bit bewildering to see a movie from them do so terribly. 

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

At this rate November BO may not even beat 2021's number. That is it, the end of American cultural hegemony. 

Marvels dropping like a rock, Hunger Games not breaking out, Trolls 3 not doing much, Wish social media reactions are mixed....perfect storm of bad results.  I don't think November 2023 will beat November 2021.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

1.6-1.7m  Thursday 

WF had 8.9* IM which would put it at around 14m -15m . That would be a 67-67-68% drop . 

And that had good WOM lol. Quantumania escaped 70% drop. Will marvels be the first.

That is unlikely. its losing tons of shows(most good ones) to HG/Trolls. It will drop quite a bit today. 

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

For me, The Marvels' bombage now has entered the "kind of (embarrassingly) sad" territory, falling off from the "hilarious" stage.

Because even though i personally dont care for Marvel anymore, its still a bit bewildering to see a movie from them do so terribly. 

It's the worldwide rejection which is the interesting part for me. Audiences around the world across distinct countries and cultures collectively decided that this was their moment to jump off the MCU train. Normally there's a lag between domestic and WW of one movie where OS stays high but domestic drops before both drop with the next movie, that wasn't there here, it all just fell apart.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

it’s interesting to compare this to Shazam2 and Quantumania’s drops. This is fighting for a 2X OW legs right now that Quantumania barely managed and Shazam2 barely missed.

51 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

We'll see if the final number is slightly higher at 1.8M. Overall I don't see anything special happening. I'm just waiting for the 60+% second weekend drop so that MCU fans can let go of this Elemental legs fantasy. Elemental isn't even a good comp for The Marvels even if it did have legs. It's a PG-13 rated MCU movie while Elemental is a Pixar movie. I just despise that comparison. 

69% drop just like Quantumania and Shazam 2 incoming, there are some very interesting parallels to both

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's the worldwide rejection which is the interesting part for me. Audiences around the world across distinct countries and cultures collectively decided that this was their moment to jump off the MCU train. Normally there's a lag between domestic and WW of one movie where OS stays high but domestic drops before both drop with the next movie, that wasn't there here, it all just fell apart.

Looks like Ant-Man finished off the MCU, we just didn't notice until now since many people wanted to see the final part of the Guardians of the Galaxy saga.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MeMyselfAndI said:

Looks like Ant-Man finished off the MCU, we just didn't notice until now since many people wanted to see the final part of the Guardians of the Galaxy saga.

As I've said elsewhere, Multiverse of Madness was the beginning of the end for me. That was the first time I was severely underwhelmed by a Marvel movie. And judging by the steep drops it saw, I wasn't alone.

And what can I say about that Marvels number that hasn't already been said? We're seeing the real-time implosion of an entire genre, a genre that saved exhibition from certain death time and time again, and that's crazy. Where will Marvel go from here? Will they have to reboot now like DC should have done years ago? Will the once or twice per year Barbenheimer-style breakouts be enough to last theaters through the decade? The next 5 or so years are going to be fascinating to say the least.

• Like 5