Eric is Anxious

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Captain Marvel was enjoyable and way better than Aquaman imo. In fact, Aquaman was genuinely bad. The fact that Aquaman 2 will do more than The Marvels speaks to my theory that it's not about the quality of the movie that made it flop

Emmm... no, not really. At least Aquaman had some nice visuals and action scenes. Cap Marvel didn't have any standout elements, it was just there, some movie.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, jimisawesome said:

YA movies fell off because YA book sales fell off. After all, YA became a toxic environment of one-upmanship on who is the purest of the pure.   It made the French Revolutionary government look like a lesson in understanding.   This along with YA market being dominated not by 8-18 year olds but 18-35 year old readers

Agree wholeheartedly with this.

I remember when John Green was accused of being a pedophile for writing stories whose main characters were teenage girls.

And also, the kids who grew up with YA fiction became adults and still wanted the YA genre to cater to them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Emmm... no, not really. At least Aquaman had some nice visuals and action scenes. Cap Marvel didn't have any standout elements, it was just there, some movie.

Aquaman:

1200px-Cheeseburger.jpg

Captain Marvel:

alt-5a8f2aef44513-4922-a8566d24a1fff9cf6

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Hunger Games Catching Fire made more than Captain Marvel and Wonder Women Domestically. With a Higher Women audience percentage than both at 59%. And Katniss Everdeen has more successful movies than both of them without riding the superhero wave. What makes the series appeal more to women than female superheroes? 

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

"Avatar bad because white savior" is the sort of take that could only get traction on twitter or resetera. Not just because it is wrong but also because even if it was true no one would actually give a shit. There is a reason the films did massive literally everywhere.

Rather the "name of the trope" is intentionally dismissive and thus misses the ways the core idea at the heart of the pattern matching can have broader appeal. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

"Avatar bad because white savior" is the sort of take that could only get traction on twitter or resetera. Not just because it is wrong but also because even if it was true no one actually gives a shit. There is a reason the films did massive literally everywhere.

If everyone rejected critical thinking like you then we'd all be in deep shit.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

That reminded me, the Borderlands movie with Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart still hasn't come out yet! Original principal photography was in 2021. It's scheduled for next August now.

There weren't streaming services during the Great Recession. I don’t know if moviegoing still feels like a cheap activity compared to a month's worth of Netflix, Disney+, Prime, etc. and YouTube is free.

With the pandemic restrictions, I think that also made people value going out differently. If they're going to go out, they'd rather be out doing stuff where they can talk and be social the whole time and not just sitting in a dark theater.

People will come to movie theaters in big numbers for "events" but there's less of just going for the sake of it. Plus they know it will be available at home soon enough, and in the meantime they can just watch a million other titles or listen to podcasts, etc.

This needs to be repeated 1000 times.  Movie going is no longer the cheapest activity.  Both "Netflix and ..." and "Let's just game online" are both wildly cheaper than movie going activities now.  Especially for those under 25 (who aren't making much money) and families (who have a lot of full price tickets to buy).  Something needs to be done to rope families back in a large way to continue the movie going habit for the future eventual 25+.  25+ all enjoy those cheap all-you-can-watch subs that families (and under 25s) just can't buy.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

This needs to be repeated 1000 times.  Movie going is no longer the cheapest activity.  Both "Netflix and ..." and "Let's just game online" are both wildly cheaper than movie going activities now.  Especially for those under 25 (who aren't making much money) and families (who have a lot of full price tickets to buy).  Something needs to be done to rope families back in a large way to continue the movie going habit for the future eventual 25+.  25+ all enjoy those cheap all-you-can-watch subs that families (and under 25s) just can't buy.  

Its kind of a death spiral. Because attendance levels are shrinking, studious and theaters try to sequeeze more money out of the remaining moviegoers with higher ticket and food prices, all the while PLF's get more and more prominent as the way to see a movie, despite it beeing obviously quite expensive.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Kids nowadays grow up in an evironment where they find it hard to read 1 simple page of a book. Social Media has trained them to think that more than 6 or 7 sentences after another is a "long text". I fear books will soon become a niche product, just like cinema itself. In the school ive worked this year, the teachers literally can not fathom how bad the reading comprehension of the kids is.

I realize i sound like some old rambling 60 year old right now, but i do believe that Social Media fundamentally changed the new generations' outlook on practically all traditional media and entertainment, including books.

My youngest refuses to read for fun and has been in that "one page is a lot" paradigm.  We just kept at it year after year, using audiobooks, and he is just now, years later than his siblings, able to sit and read along to an audiobook for 45 minutes without losing it.  Is his comprehension as high as his sibs - nope.  But we figure another year or two and he'll have the novel-reading/understanding skill down, b/c it's a needed skill.  But it now takes so much more work to build it.

But, tech skills - no problem.  The stuff I struggle with is the stuff he does with ease...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, JustLurking said:

Jake was literally about to lead the entire clan to its death until Eywa stepped in to save them.

But the overall message that the movie sends (as do so many others) is that native people (and in a larger sense, racial minorities) need a white savior. Without that they have no means of gaining equality because they're too dumb.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its kind of a death spiral. Because attendance levels are shrinking, studious and theaters try to sequeeze more money out of the remaining moviegoers with higher ticket and food prices, all the while PLF's get more and more prominent as the way to see a movie, despite it beeing obviously quite expensive.

I wonder if AMC and Regal dropped PLFs from their subscriber programs if PLFs would really be that lucrative and prominent.  I think it's a chicken and egg thing.  Many would only pay for PLF for Oppy and Avatar, but then PLFs wouldn't survive...

1 minute ago, DInky said:

But the overall message that the movie sends (as do so many others) is that native people (and in a larger sense, racial minorities) need a white savior. Without that they have no means of gaining equality because they're too dumb.

If you watched the film and this is your take I'm not sure you have any right to call anyone's read of it "lack of critical thinking". I don't even know where to begin.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DInky said:

I don't know a single person who took this kind of message from the movie.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

If you watched the film and this is your take I'm not sure you have any right to call anyone's read of it "lack of critical thinking". I don't even know where to begin.

You need to look at the movie as part of a larger pattern rather than zero in on plot specifics. If European colonialism was never a thing then you could totally argue that its not a white savior movie (in fact, that wouldn't even be a trope). But we live in a world where colonialism did happen and non-white people have  been depicted as primitive and inferior again and again. Avatar doesn't do anything to challenge those negative assumptions.

Edited by DInky
  • Haha 1

From my point of view,the real classic is appeal and cause the resonance for everyone,no barrier of gender,nationality ,age and soical income

I give you guys a great example,the timeless legendary that popular all over the world:

Tom and Jerry

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

"Avatar bad because white savior" is the sort of take that could only get traction on twitter or resetera. Not just because it is wrong but also because even if it was true no one would actually give a shit. There is a reason the films did massive literally everywhere.

Speaking of, they're taking The Marvels's performance pretty hard. One user in particular with a Kamala Khan profile picture is especially pissed and is adamant to blame racism and misogyny for the movie tanking. That same user was also a major Blue Beetle simp and was also similarly pissed when that bombed. Hopefully they read the room and realize that bigotry alone doesn't lead the sequel to a billion dollar blockbuster to nosedive to the level of Morbius.

4 minutes ago, DInky said:

You need to look at the movie as part of a larger pattern rather than zero in on plot specifics. If European colonialism was never a thing then you could totally argue that its not a white savior movie (in fact, that wouldn't even be a trope). But we live in a world where colonialism did happen and non-white people have  been depicted as primitive and inferior again and again. Avatar doesn't do anything to challenge those negative assumptions.

The film literally portrays Pandora's ways as better hence why Jake falls in love with them to begin with, and even when he tries to resort to what he does know (war) it fails and he has to get bailed out by Eywa for it.

This is literally the opposite of critical thinking lol, it's like you're reading an outline of the plot instead of what actually happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

The film literally portrays Pandora's ways as better hence why Jake falls in love with them to begin with, and even when he tries to resort to what he does know (war) it fails and he has to get bailed out by Eywa for it.

This is literally the opposite of critical thinking lol, it's like you're reading an outline of the plot instead of what actually happens.

A film can still reinforce negative stereotypes even if the filmmakers' intentions are good. That applies to most white savior movies.