Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

15 minutes ago, Cookson said:

At the moment -1 is just running to next Thursday. My question is, with the state of the box office, and with this particular film doing pretty good and has good wom.. wouldn’t it be odd for Toho to not extend its run? There’s nothing to lose 

They may extend...

Just like I expect Waitress, if its early presales turn into something bigger, may extend as a Fathom event past Dec 11 (it's currently only scheduled for Dec 7-11).

Just like Taylor extended for the month of November...

Movies doing well seem to stick around, even if they were originally planned not to do so...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Just like Taylor extended for the month of November...

wasnt it presented right from the start as a possible 16-week engagement?

Starting to temper expectations for December. Still optimistic for a few movies but on the whole….it’s gonna be a long few months until March. At least Beyoncé and Hunger Games are showing life.

off topic but is Strange World actually bad? I’ve been curious about checking it out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

wasnt it presented right from the start as a possible 16-week engagement?

Yes, but everything's always possible if money changes hands...nothing about Godzilla requires it to leave...so if it has good weekdays (vs falling off a cliff), I'd expect you might see some places hold it over next weekend...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

darn, silent night is lionsgate?

how much did it cost?

Hasnt been revealed. According to John Woo, it was basically an indie film production for him, smallest he's ever worked with and then Lionsgate just did distribution. I could be wrong but that's how I took it. 

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

There's still Argyle, and maybe that'll do amazing, but what I've seen so far looks... iffy. 

Let's see on Argyle. I think It looks it looks fun and has potential if this is good Matthew Vaughn and not bad.. The second trailer should drop in the next few weeks to be in front of the holiday movies and be pushed heavy during the NFL end of season/playoffs. Something needs to surprise in Jan/Feb and hold us over until Dune 2 opens. Or not.

Everything that's out right now is pretty much a goner in three weeks due to the theater count bloodbath. Christmas weekend has 7 wide releases between that Friday and Monday + wide expansions for Poor Things and American Fiction also set. Wonka (heading into its second frame) and possibly Hunger Games (though it too will be on its way out by that point) are the only movies from before that weekend that'll still be playing everywhere.

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I know its not a normal movie, but it still seems kinda weird to me that some people will be celebrating a 20-25 million ow as a win

2019 really spoiled us 

Probably bc it's not 2019 anymore. Lol. Majority of adult movie flop in box office now. Even Leo couldn't save his movie this year. People only come for event movies.

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This is a bigger bomb than The Marvels, right? 

Technically yes, but in reality I’d say no. Disney’s animated film product had already fallen way off, so the ceiling was much lower, the budget for Wish a sunk cost. Was only a question of how much it would lose 

Marvels is going to end up way below whatever presumed floor there was for an MCU release, and as a sequel to a very successful film as well, not an original 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Starting to temper expectations for December. Still optimistic for a few movies but on the whole….it’s gonna be a long few months until March. At least Beyoncé and Hunger Games are showing life.

off topic but is Strange World actually bad? I’ve been curious about checking it out.

Strange World's biggest problem is that everything feels like a rough draft to something interesting. From the characters to the writing to the concept to the themes. It's all got strong potential, but the lack of depth just means the whole thing's pretty bland. A pity.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Animal

North America Premieres + Day 1 Reported Gross: $2,777,563 (680 Locs)

USA - $1,988,854

Canada - $785,763

Hindi - $2,389,540

Telugu - $384,724

Tamil - $3,299

Canada with an abnormally high % of the total. In line with what I was seeing at Cineplex yesterday. FWIW, it’s equally strong at those theatres today.

Napoleon is playing much better overseas it seems so even though it will make about the same as Killers DM much better Int. Still a money loser yes but I am on the Apple did not care much train. There is no  way they greenlit and made these movies with these budgets expecting to profit in the short term.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Everything that's out right now is pretty much a goner in three weeks due to the theater count bloodbath. Christmas weekend has 7 wide releases between that Friday and Monday + wide expansions for Poor Things and American Fiction also set. Wonka (heading into its second frame) and possibly Hunger Games (though it too will be on its way out by that point) are the only movies from before that weekend that'll still be playing everywhere.

I think Renaissance will still play at some AMC theatres. AMC stands to make too much profit for them to toss it aside. Even the Eras tour is still playing this weekend at a lot of AMC theatres. They want to soak up every cent they’ll get as a distributor to add to what the theatres % usually is. 

Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some AMC’s playing Eras over the Christmas week for that same reason.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Saltburn looking at the smallest drop for the weekend with 15% according to Deadline. Having seen it, I can guarantee that it's going to have a very long shelf life once it becomes available for streaming when the Internet will go crazy over the most batshit insane scenes in the movie.

This post should be used in their marketing.

50 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Disney should really be giving more movies to someone like Gareth Edwards, for example. Reliable filmmakers who can do well in a studio system and keeping to realistic budgets.

The last time Disney gave a movie to Gareth Edwards, they had to reshoot half the movie and pretty much remove him from the creative process at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, M37 said:

Technically yes, but in reality I’d say no. Disney’s animated film product had already fallen way off, so the ceiling was much lower, the budget for Wish a sunk cost. Was only a question of how much it would lose 

Marvels is going to end up way below whatever presumed floor there was for an MCU release, and as a sequel to a very successful film as well, not an original 

Captain Marvel was so successful because of Infinity War and the lead up to Endgame.

It would have been a $600m WW grosser in normal circumstances.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

It was weirdly one of the more unpleasant films I've seen in recent years. It's also an adventure movie that basically guts the core appeal of being an adventure film. But don't worry, you'll hear writers express their anger at their parents/grandparents without getting around to actually defining the young protagonist in affirmative terms for the call to adventure.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Napoleon is playing much better overseas it seems so even though it will make about the same as Killers DM much better Int. Still a money loser yes but I am on the Apple did not care much train. There is no  way they greenlit and made these movies with these budgets expecting to profit in the short term.

Sure, bu0, for killers of the flower moon, ^1, Apple's implicitly valuing post-theatrical SVOD rights + whatever prestige value comes from getting oscars at slightly over $200M. 

^1 This assuming no home video release (who knows) and no linear tv deals (obviously a given).

Edited by PlatnumRoyce