Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

The point is Mario and PIB2 are event film that you watch with your friends' or family give incentive for people to go to theaters. They see a moviegoing as a gathering, family event or an outing. 

The same can't be said to drama fare, where the moviegoing tend to be more silo or smaller numbers, thereby closing the difference between watching movie on PVOD at home and actually going to cinema. Oppenheimer become an outlier because it break into main stream conscious and make itself an event, allowing big group moviegoing easier. I saw Oppenheimer with another 8 friends of mine but couldn't even get one for Past Lives. 

Interesting, I never thought about movies being "events" in terms of how many people I could get to come with me to a particular thing. I suppose it makes sense, as it indicates broader interest (or the lack of it).

I just don't know if the toothpaste can be put back in the tube with respect to streaming and how it's changed moviegoing decisions. It's seeming like how overall movie attendance never recovered to mid-1940s levels after television first became widespread in the 1950s.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I'm sure Toho is ecstatic that their first ever solo distribution in the US (As far as I know?) has almost made back the entire budget of Minus One already. Insane success story for it especially considering the last wide release for a Japanese Godzilla film (Godzilla 2000 back in well...2000) was an infamous flop. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'm sure Toho is ecstatic that their first ever solo distribution in the US (As far as I know?) has almost made back the entire budget of Minus One already. Insane success story for it especially considering the last wide release for a Japanese Godzilla film (Godzilla 2000 back in well...2000) was an infamous flop. 

And on a general note, i think Toho must be extremely happy with the overall standing of the Godzilla franchise. After Final Wars in 2004, it looked kind of dead, but G14 and Shin Godzilla really elevated the franchises status imo. I know you personally dont like the later entrys in the MonsterVerse that much, but i think its safe to say that the MV massively expanded the Godzilla fandom worldwide. For a franchise that was in quite a dire state 20 years ago, its future sure looks good right now.

• Like 2

Just now, poweranimals said:

After seeing so much buzz for Godzilla this weekend, I expected more than $11 million.

For a movie that Americans can only see (as far as i know) in a subbed version when Americans are famous for not wanting to see any movie subbed and considering that the movies showtimes are very limited and not forgetting that the last Toho Godzilla movie made 1,9M back in 2016 in total, i think 11M OW looks really stellar.

And whats also playing a role is that the Minus One hype is still mostly a hype among a niche audience and extremely Internet-centric. WOM travels faster than every nowaydays, but it still needs some time to travel.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Just spent an hour going down a Poor Things rabbit hole. How's the film gonna do next weekend? It's getting rave reviews, but I've also seen the discourse.

In limited release, it should do very well, maybe even the best of the year (unless too much of the target audience has already seen it through festivals or screeners). I follow the Regal/AMC mystery movies and some people kept guessing Poor Things. As much as I would love to see the reactions of an unsuspecting audience to a movie like that, it was never going to happen.

I don't know if Searchlight is putting it in 2,000 theaters at Christmas or just 600 or so, for prestige releases the concept of "now playing everywhere" can be very dubious in reality. I think matching The Favourite would be a win considering the changes in the market since 2018.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

For a movie that Americans can only see (as far as i know) in a subbed version when Americans are famous for not wanting to see any movie subbed and considering that the movies showtimes are very limited and not forgetting that the last Toho Godzilla movie made 1,9M back in 2016 in total, i think 11M OW looks really stellar.

And whats also playing a role is that the Minus One hype is still mostly a hype among a niche audience and extremely Internet-centric. WOM travels faster than every nowaydays, but it still needs some time to travel.

how did crouching tiger do 128 million dom?

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Hate this thing people do where they'll bring up the like one time something went against the norm like that's a normal scenario.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Hate this thing people do where they'll bring up the like one time something went against the norm like that's a normal scenario.

im asking how crouching tiger did 128 million, not denying what he said 

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

By beeing one of the best movies of all time. The film had incredible buzz among film critics and was a genuine WOM sensation in the US. It also came out at a time (2000/2001) when moviegoing was at its highest, which certainly didnt harm the movies chances at getting a great result.

Its 128M is still absolutely incredible if we consider that the 2nd highest foreign language movie (Life is Beautiful) sits at 57M.

And btw by grossing 11M OW, Minus One is already in the Top 30 in that list.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Just spent an hour going down a Poor Things rabbit hole. How's the film gonna do next weekend? It's getting rave reviews, but I've also seen the discourse.

It'll have the best PTA of the year on its opening weekend, then crawl to 15M. Just how things roll for speciality movies these days.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

It is said that Saltburn had 550 theaters that were up in gross from their previous Saturday. I haven't seen the movie but the Emerald definitely put something special in the movie to make an big impression on the crowd, whether they like it or not. Verified audience score also went up to 77%.

Some lady on the way out of my showing during the week claimed it was the worst movie she ever saw (cue the "sure Jan" meme). It's a movie that, regardless of whether you like it or not, will surely stick with you.

Speaking of which, can we get an RTM thread for it please mods? Thanks.