Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #THU - Godzilla -1.0 $1.28M, TBOSS $1.148M, Beyonce $1.145M

5 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

WOM in action: I don't like kaiju movies and had zero plans to see Godzilla Minus One in theaters. But FOMO and the good word here and elsewhere means I'm going to watch it tomorrow night. Exciting!

I really hope you enjoy it! Imo, the awesome thing about Minus One is that its the first time since probably the original in 1954 that there are very well-written, compelling and sympathetic human characters that you really can root for. Genre-wise, its actually more of a War drama than a "typical" Kaiju movie and i mean that in the best sense. I love me some silly Godzilla action any day of the week, but Minus One is actual cinema.

Also, expect an eargasm. The soundtrack and sound mixing in it is S-class. 

• Like 3

Yeah I have friends who have zero interest in Zilla or kaiju flicks before checking this out. I’d imagine it will be the first non-English movie they’ve ever seen in a theater as well for some of them. Amazing. I’d go crazy for this to have like a Puss 2 run, I’m just really worried about the onslaught of new releases for screen count. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah I have friends who have zero interest in Zilla or kaiju flicks before checking this out. I’d imagine it will be the first non-English movie they’ve ever seen in a theater as well for some of them. Amazing. I’d go crazy for this to have like a Puss 2 run, I’m just really worried about the onslaught of new releases for screen count. 

They just extended the run to the 14th i believe, but ofc i hope they will extend it much further. I also see the potential for a really leggy run here if they just let the movie have enough theaters for a while. I mean i would have loved 11M in TOTAL for this movie before it came out (topping Godzilla 2000), but i really feel like the movie gains momentum every day with its WOM right now and theaters should want to capitalize on that.

• Like 1

G-1's PTA is well ahead of any of the other movies in 2,000+ theaters right now, if it has a strong hold the next two weekends it should be able to hold onto at least half a screen at most theaters going into Christmas, maybe sharing with Hunger Games or Boy and the Heron. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

They just extended the run to the 14th i believe, but ofc i hope they will extend it much further. I also see the potential for a really leggy run here if they just let the movie have enough theaters for a while. I mean i would have loved 11M in TOTAL for this movie before it came out (topping Godzilla 2000), but i really feel like the movie gains momentum every day with its WOM right now and theaters should want to capitalize on that.

Yeah, WOM still seems like it’s building. For example when I logged on to YouTube tonight the algorithm served me half a dozen reviews done in the last day or less, including Cinemassacre (3.8 million subscribers) which just put a review up a few hours ago. There’s no reason for theaters to rush this out the door.

3 hours ago, JustWatching said:

Yeah, WOM still seems like it’s building. For example when I logged on to YouTube tonight the algorithm served me half a dozen reviews done in the last day or less, including Cinemassacre (3.8 million subscribers) which just put a review up a few hours ago. There’s no reason for theaters to rush this out the door.

Saw this getting mocked on social media and it’s probably the funniest YouTube thumbnail in history. The best comedians wish they could make something this funny. I hope to use “I love eating woke movies for breakfast” at some point in my life lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hunger Games also still has the second best week-to-week drop of the holdovers (behind only Saltburn doing its bizarre small-scale miracle run - -3% from last Monday!), so I think it's doing fine. Minus One's hold is just pretty exceptional, especially after such a strong Sunday hold. 

• Like 1

In this early December period, most non-family films have an approximate 7-8x Weekend/Weekday baseline ratio. Last week, HG:Boss turned a $1.85M Wed into a $14.17M weekend, or 7.86x, and its Monday number is solid, projecting to a ~$9M/-35% weekend or so

That Godzilla topped it isn't weakness for HG, but strength for G-1, the WOM kicking in, which based off that Monday number is on track for a $8M+ second weekend (following a $9.3M OW minus previews). However, it is losing IMAX, and especially for new releases Wed is the key number (and can drop a lot from Monday), so not going to call for that just yet, but at least $6.5M+ looks good to me pending Wed/Thu dailies

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

Saw this getting mocked on social media and it’s probably the funniest YouTube thumbnail in history. The best comedians wish they could make something this funny. I hope to use “I love eating woke movies for breakfast” at some point in my life lmao

Yeah. This just shows when the Anti-woke crew think a movie is "political".

Godzilla -1 fails on give female characters agency, so the Anti-woke crew will say this movie isn't political or woke. Not matter how many political messages it has.

Edited by Kon