Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

OT: Family made Christmas season movie plans.  We decided nothing was worth full price b/c no movie got 6 votes.  So, we took our 2 leading vote getters - Migration and Aquaman (2 votes each - I didn't vote for either one:) - and saw one tonight at our independent theater (which kept discount Tuesday) and we'll see one next Tuesday with today's Atom deal.

So, today was Migration.  And my girls said it was what Secret Life of Pets wanted to be.  No one hated it, not even my "hates all kids movies" husband.  It had some beautiful and amazing animation sequences and a really nice soundtrack.  And it didn't overstay its welcome.  And my bottom 3 loved it.  That said...

I agree with my spouse that it's Soarin' over Illumination.  If you all have been to Disney, you know the ride, and this movie felt like a version of a themepark ride.  In all ways good and bad.  Everyone's happy to ride it.  But, it's virtually plot-less as a series of vignettes, even for a kids' movie.  It's like cotton candy - sugary, sweet, and virtually non-existent.

Here are our actual grades.

Me - B- b/c I'm being generous.  Look, it's beautiful, but kinda boring for adults.  That said, my kids and teens loved it, and the cute family of 7 with little kids were in awe.  So, it wasn't made for me and it was short, so I never got too bored.

Spouse - C - one of his highest kid movie grades

Oldest girl - B-

2nd girl - A-

Oldest Teen Boy - A-

Youngest Boy - A-

It is a perfect Christmas release.  There won't be fights after this movie.  No one's gonna complain about X, Y, or Z.  People will just say the ducks were cute...and they were...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dallas said:

I think next year's slate is going to do well at the box office. There may not be any $1B grossers, but there will be multiple success stories. 

Exactly. People just need to not put the burden on movies to greatly overperform their expectations just to make things seem better. Like for example  if Dune 2 does 150-200 DOM and 500+ WW we don't need the whole it should have done 200+/700+ to make up for a likely not great Jan/Feb.

• Like 2

Next year certainly looks much better than this year in September to December. I think summer looks a bit weaker but not exceedingly week. April and May are bleh. March is pretty alright. January and February are dire. Let's see what mid budget films get thrown back onto schedule in next few weeks.

I also think that the immense economic and political factors of next year could have impacts in unanticipated directions (positive or negative).

• Like 2

After now watching Saltburn, they definitely fucked yo this release. It should have been a slow burn expansion. Now that everyone is watching it on Prime, it’s all over Twitter. They went too wide too fast and didn’t give it room the breathe to get the discourse going.

• Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

After now watching Saltburn, they definitely fucked yo this release. It should have been a slow burn expansion. Now that everyone is watching it on Prime, it’s all over Twitter. They went too wide too fast and didn’t give it room the breathe to get the discourse going.

That was the end goal, though. And it worked.

34 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

They used the theatrical window as actual promo for the streaming release and it paid off big time imo. Saltburn crushed any Netflix release this past week. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

That was the end goal, though. And it worked.

But they could have maximized the Box Office more and still had a big streaming splash. What is the point of going theatrical if you’re only going to half ass it? It has Golden Globe noms and might get some Oscar noms, but now it has shot its shot theatrically. I dunno, makes very little sense to me. If you’re going theatrical, go all in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TCP 7-7.25M TUE.

more front loaded than i would have hoped but also think WOM is going to kick in fast. 

les miserables seems like the best comparison here. they had almost identical opening days on christmas that also fell on a weekday. take the true opening day of 15.89 and this fell 55%. Les fell 32% from OD so yeah TCP will really need to have some great legs to have a shot at 150.

I made for a double feature today in seeing both The Color Purple and Wonka. Both seem like absolute crowdpleasers that should do very well over the coming holiday week and into January.

Wonka was a surprise in how well it worked - and Chalamet is successful in making a young Wonka his own. He is truly delightful in the role.

Happy Holidays all :)

Peace,

Mike 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

OT: Family made Christmas season movie plans.  We decided nothing was worth full price b/c no movie got 6 votes.  So, we took our 2 leading vote getters - Migration and Aquaman (2 votes each - I didn't vote for either one:) - and saw one tonight at our independent theater (which kept discount Tuesday) and we'll see one next Tuesday with today's Atom deal.

So, today was Migration.  And my girls said it was what Secret Life of Pets wanted to be.  No one hated it, not even my "hates all kids movies" husband.  It had some beautiful and amazing animation sequences and a really nice soundtrack.  And it didn't overstay its welcome.  And my bottom 3 loved it.  That said...

I agree with my spouse that it's Soarin' over Illumination.  If you all have been to Disney, you know the ride, and this movie felt like a version of a themepark ride.  In all ways good and bad.  Everyone's happy to ride it.  But, it's virtually plot-less as a series of vignettes, even for a kids' movie.  It's like cotton candy - sugary, sweet, and virtually non-existent.

Here are our actual grades.

Me - B- b/c I'm being generous.  Look, it's beautiful, but kinda boring for adults.  That said, my kids and teens loved it, and the cute family of 7 with little kids were in awe.  So, it wasn't made for me and it was short, so I never got too bored.

Spouse - C - one of his highest kid movie grades

Oldest girl - B-

2nd girl - A-

Oldest Teen Boy - A-

Youngest Boy - A-

It is a perfect Christmas release.  There won't be fights after this movie.  No one's gonna complain about X, Y, or Z.  People will just say the ducks were cute...and they were...

We did the same ($4 discounts) and this post really sums up my family's pov on it as well. 

Our oldest wants to see Wonka but had to keep the 2.5 and 6 year old in mind. 

• Like 1