Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I genuinely think you could bring some people back to theaters by altering the environment to make some screen use acceptable.

nah. You seriously want PSAs that say "It's OK, use your phone."

and it's not like people get kicked out for it either

Edited by cannastop

58 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The ads are totally insane. I saw a 4pm showing of the Iron Claw on Christmas. They started the first preview at 4:17pm. There was then random Hotels.com and AirBnB ads in the middle of previews. And a bunch of Regal Unlimited ads after the previews before the movie. Film started at 4:35pm. Wanted to be out by 6:15, got out at 6:45 and nearly missed dinner. And that's regular now. Also, the theater was ice fucking cold to the point my head was pounding. Great movie, but just an unpleasant experience. Also, the general perception is that these movies are now long as shit themselves on top of everything else. I'm Mr. Theatrical and even I'm debating seeing Color Purple and Ferrari in theaters because going to movies is such an annoying endurance test these days. You can see how more casual people tuned out.

They broke up the trailers to show more ads??? Are you kidding me? I would be pissed. 

Interstingly, I have the opposite problem with theaters I go to in recent years about not wanting to run the AC anymore. Used to be great heat escapes, but now you’re in there sweating if it’s hot out. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They broke up the trailers to show more ads??? Are you kidding me? I would be pissed. 

Interstingly, I have the opposite problem with theaters I go to in recent years about not wanting to run the AC anymore. Used to be great heat escapes, but now you’re in there sweating if it’s hot out. 

Here in Germany, depending on the theater you go to, its completely normal to have like 20 Minutes worth of (shitty) ads, then like 10 trailers, then another round of 5 minutes of (shitty) ads, then another 3 trailers or so, then a cinema-ad and then the movie starts.

Watching a 2 hour movie normally takes me 3 hours. One third of my cinema experiences is shitty ads and trailers. Thats partly on me though, since i know about these ads i could come later and avoid most if them. But then again i always have the fear of "What if they dont play as many ads this time?", i.e. missing out on the start of the movie.

But yeah, cinema ads SUCK.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I deal with this every time I go to Regal. It's only one ad granted, but it's still a mood kiler At least it's not 2021 anymore where I had to see that Matt Damon crypto ad inbetween the trailers every single time I saw any movie ever.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Marcus and Regal does this every show.

AMC doesn't though.

I haven’t had a regal near me for a bit and I don’t even know of Marcus. Thats some bullshit, I would stop getting there for the preview if they were also going to put ads between. 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Here in Germany, depending on the theater you go to, its completely normal to have like 20 Minutes worth of (shitty) ads, then like 10 trailers, then another round of 5 minutes of (shitty) ads, then another 3 trailers or so, then a cinema-ad and then the movie starts.

damn. That's excessive. I think I got like 10 trailers when I saw Spider-Man No Way Home in Lie-MAX though.

Was going to buy a ticket for a movie tonight for Iron Claw or Ferrari (leaning towards the latter, more convenient showtime) at a local multiplex that is more of a walk-up business theater, so I took a peak at how the prime evening shows are all selling for everything and was very fascinated by the results:

Spoiler

Anyone But You (7:10) - 68

Wonka (7:15) - 54

Boy and the Heron (7:25) - 50

Boys in the Boat (7:10) - 40

Aquaman (IMAX 6:45) - 29

Ferrari (7:05) - 20

Hunger Games (7:40) - 18

Godzilla Minus One (7:35) - 15

Poor Things (7:50) - 14

Anyone But You (7:10) - 

Color Purple (7+7:30) - 5

The Iron Claw (7:20) - 4

Eras Tour (8:10) - 3

Migration (7:15) - 2

Obviously it's just one theater, but it doesn't seem like ABY is slowing down much. 

Edited by JonathanMB
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Watching a 2 hour movie normally takes me 3 hours. One third of my cinema experiences is shitty ads and trailers. Thats partly on me though, since i know about these ads i could come later and avoid most if them. But then again i always have the fear of "What if they dont play as many ads this time?", i.e. missing out on the start of the movie.

But yeah, cinema ads SUCK.

In France , we have 1-2 trailers and after around 10 minutes of ads with 1 or 2 trailer inside , so it's shorter than US or Germany but we have the same ads of some company since almost 10 years , it's so bad .

I’m sorry but I cannot get on board with this “people should be allowed to check their phones during movies” thing and you should really try your hardest to not do that during a movie because it’s really disrespectful to other people. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing bright screens elsewhere other than the big one I’m watching.

Honestly that is one thing (of many, gonna try to be the positive one about theaters here :) ) I love about going to the theater: I’m forced to stay off my phone for a couple hours! You should embrace that, not try to incorporate your tiny screen even further into your lives 

• Like 12
  • Heart 1

11 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

I’m sorry but I cannot get on board with this “people should be allowed to check their phones during movies” thing and you should really try your hardest to not do that during a movie because it’s really disrespectful to other people. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing bright screens elsewhere other than the big one I’m watching.

Honestly that is one thing (of many, gonna try to be the positive one about theaters here :) ) I love about going to the theater: I’m forced to stay off my phone for a couple hours! You should embrace that, not try to incorporate your tiny screen even further into your lives 

the lives of others dont stop just because I stop checking my phone

I stopped going to the theater closest to me because phone signals didn't reach inside it (it was underground)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Another thing from talking to friends is just how big of an issue not checking the phone is. In the post-COVID era, this isn't just an acceptable inconvenience anymore. People could receive a work email at any time, and just generally have gotten used to spending every single minute staring at the screen and on their Whatsapp chats and in a constant state of communication with people that wasn't quite true even in 2019. I know it would piss off the purists on the board, but I genuinely think you could bring some people back to theaters by altering the environment to make some screen use acceptable.

People already check their phones enough as is. If it became acceptable I would immediatly stop going.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the lives of others dont stop just because I stop checking my phone

I stopped going to the theater closest to me because phone signals didn't reach inside it (it was underground)

Are you seriously telling me that you can’t go 2 hours without checking your phone? I mean I get that for some people they absolutely have to if they have a job they’re on call for or if they have medical reasons for family members, and maybe that is the case for you so I am not judging, but I really hope that most people, if that doesn’t apply to them, they could go through a movie with their phone on do not disturb. Really for humanity’s sake lol

• Like 12

Yeah id personally go so far to state that anyone who scrolls on their phone during a movie disrespects the art of cinema. Its the same as snorring during a play for me. Im normally a very calm person, but whenever i see someones phone light blink up during a movie, i get unreasonably aggressive.

• Like 8