Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

I was wondering about that ever since the project was anounced. I don't know how the musical incorporates songs into that kind of story, it might have been done tastefully. But from what I remember from the Spielberg version it has rape and domestic abuse in it, and I just find it weird that there's a musical version with songs between all this horrifying stuff. Even if the songs are serious. 

Yeah, some of the stuff that I've read about the source material makes me wonder why Warner thought it'd make for a Christmas musical. Again, it really should've been pushed back to Black History Month of next year where it'd be a better fit. They also probably should've gone for a more modest budget, but I digress. I also wonder if a lot of black audiences are just sick and tired of black trauma movies and rejecting this as a result.

What we know about TCP is group views overrated that first day. Saying that i don't think the other days of the week business have been terrible. On Friday It got the best increase from the day before than any movie. 

The greatest showman started really slow and then the WOM became to have an impact. The fact It doesn't have WOM outside Its target It's not proved and based only on the First day data and seeing how that was frontloaded and with "organized group views from various black communities" could be not very representative than the general appeal It could have in the long run.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

TBH I think WB should've given Blue Beetle the Christmas release. It would've legged out even better than it did back in August plus we know the character is returning for Gunn's DCU so it makes sense to have that character's movie release as close to the beginning of that universe as possible. 

• Like 1

Just now, dallas said:

TBH I think WB should've given Blue Beetle the Christmas release. It would've legged out even better than it did back in August plus we know the character is returning for Gunn's DCU so it makes sense to have that character's movie release as close to the beginning of that universe as possible. 

Nah, WB knows Aquaman has substantial international appeal that no way BB can match. WB is smart here to maximize holiday effect for Aquaman, especially at the international space, knowing that many parts of the world like Asia are not this into Wonka. Also, it wouldn't be nice if Aquaman miss out December, that will allow pundits to make excuse of "it wasn't a December release!" for its flop. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Nah, WB knows Aquaman has substantial international appeal that no way BB can match. WB is smart here to maximize holiday effect for Aquaman, especially at the international space, knowing that many parts of the world like Asia are not this into Wonka. Also, it wouldn't be nice if Aquaman miss out December, that will allow pundits to make excuse of "it wasn't a December release!" for its flop. 

Fair points. Besides the Trinity + Joker, Aquaman is probably the DC hero with the most widespread appeal. Despite it still being a flop, Aquabro 2 is kinda proving that. This may be a tad optimistic but this could end as the highest grossing DCEU flick since the original Aquaman if it passed Black Adam's total. 

The BB/Aquabro comparisons are silly considering Blue Beetle was not a sequel, came out at the end of a super crowded summer that included two BO titans releasing just a few weeks before and most importantly, couldn't even have the cast to promote the film.

That's not to say Aquaman isn't a much more popular character and at the very least proves he is nowhere as radioactive as say a Green Lantern or Shazam at this point (Flash is also a very damaged IP), but being the biggest budget movie of the holiday season and being a sequel to a 1B dollar grosser (which was also the biggest budget movie of its holiday season) give it a large advantage over BB.

Edited by Spidey Freak

3 hours ago, dallas said:

Fair points. Besides the Trinity + Joker, Aquaman is probably the DC hero with the most widespread appeal. Despite it still being a flop, Aquabro 2 is kinda proving that. This may be a tad optimistic but this could end as the highest grossing DCEU flick since the original Aquaman if it passed Black Adam's total. 

I don't think he's bigger than Flash, but Momoa is obviously more appealing to the public than Ezra Miller.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I wonder if WB will court Paul King for the Harry Potter remake, seems like the perfect fit honestly, and he already works with them. Either way, his career will certainly keep going in its upwards tajectory and I'm excited to see what he chooses to do next.

I don't think any self-respecting filmmaker wants to be associated with that franchise for at least a while (especially a reboot of the franchise)

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vale9001 said:

What we know about TCP is group views overrated that first day. Saying that i don't think the other days of the week business have been terrible. On Friday It got the best increase from the day before than any movie. 

The greatest showman started really slow and then the WOM became to have an impact. The fact It doesn't have WOM outside Its target It's not proved and based only on the First day data and seeing how that was frontloaded and with "organized group views from various black communities" could be not very representative than the general appeal It could have in the long run.

It's possible the first two days were really overloaded due to organized group views. That would explain the sudden big drop after that. 

That said, I think the big increase in Friday was because over 25 years old people seem to be TCP main audience. It will be interesting to see the numbers on Saturday.

Edited by Kon

52 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I wonder if WB will court Paul King for the Harry Potter remake, seems like the perfect fit honestly, and he already works with them. Either way, his career will certainly keep going in its upwards tajectory and I'm excited to see what he chooses to do next.

Big yuck at a remake so soon to a great adaptation of the books, but a Wizarding World movie a la the Hogwarts video game? Paul King would be perfect for that