Grand Cine

Weekdays 01/08-01/11

A strong case to be made that Barbie is the most profitable movie of the decade so far. The sheer amount of money made from toys, merchandise, Halloween costumes etc., and on a lower budget than most movies with comparable gross level. Only potential competitor could be NWH.

• Like 2

Moderation

@MightyDargon this fetishistic hatred you have for WB isn't funny anymore. It seems 99% of the time you're just trying to start petty fanboy war nonsense with DC/Warner and it's beyond tired. It's not funny, never was funny, never will be funny, and frankly seems to indicate you're just here to troll. So cut this out now, or I will cut you out. And if you don't like this, take note that we aren't the only place on the Internet where you can talk about DC/WB. No reason to hang out in a place you hate.

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

A strong case to be made that Barbie is the most profitable movie of the decade so far. The sheer amount of money made from toys, merchandise, Halloween costumes etc., and on a lower budget than most movies with comparable gross level. Only potential competitor could be NWH.

Yeah, and I was just talking about box office. The other revenues were surely gigantic as well. Granted, that marketing budget was a lot costlier than I think they will ever let the public know, but it still doesn’t matter. There’s almost no way they didn’t make over a bil profits from all lines of revenue on that movie. 

Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to say that WB had a solid year. The DCEU disappointed (as always) but aside from small failures like Magic Mike and House Party, all of their releases did great. Even Aquaman 2 may come close to breaking even (unlikely, but possible given non-existent marketing). I do believe that WB will fare far better this year, as their slate is incredibly strong. 

25 minutes ago, dallas said:

Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to say that WB had a solid year. The DCEU disappointed (as always) but aside from small failures like Magic Mike and House Party, all of their releases did great. Even Aquaman 2 may come close to breaking even (unlikely, but possible given non-existent marketing). I do believe that WB will fare far better this year, as their slate is incredibly strong. 

Better than a likely $1.5b+ profit from box office alone? I have doubts. Thats far from easy. 

Then again, I am thinking Joker and Beetlejuice are the two BO stories of the year and neither have break the bank budgets at all. So maybe. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Seems like it will be at +20M before Oscar nominations at this point, super stable without never getting more than 850 theaters

If Searchlight is smart enough in how to expand it fully wide and capitalize the eventual 10 or more nominations, this will have a very long and solid run until March - April

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like it will be at +20M before Oscar nominations at this point, super stable without never getting more than 850 theaters

If Searchlight is smart enough in how to expand it fully wide and capitalize the eventual 10 or more nominations, this will have a very long and solid run until March - April

Looks like a cheap Tuesday + GG bump cause it dropepd 59% on Monday from previous Monday. It seems a short term thing. Luiz never proesents the full context.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Looks like a cheap Tuesday + GG bump cause it dropepd 59% on Monday from previous Monday. It seems a short term thing. Luiz never proesents the full context.

And that 59% Monday to Monday was still the best in the top 10 and one of the best for movies in general. The only movies that held better week to week were American Fiction and All of Us Strangers, which both saw theater expansions.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eric George said:

And that 59% Monday to Monday was still the best in the top 10 and one of the best for movies in general. The only movies that held better week to week were American Fiction and All of Us Strangers, which both saw theater expansions.

It's chugging along fine but its PTA for so few theaters isn't impressive. It was only when it played in 8 theaters but dropped big with the first expansion and kept dropping. 

Edited by Valonqar

Any chance Poor Things can out-gross The Favorite? Could see it being at 20M by Oscar noms... not sure how well the Oscars can help bump a movie in the 2020s, but it should at least come close, no?

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Any chance Poor Things can out-gross The Favorite? Could see it being at 20M by Oscar noms... not sure how well the Oscars can help bump a movie in the 2020s, but it should at least come close, no?

Hard to say because of the different release schedule. PT started in more theaters and it already has holiday season behind it. TF in the same 18 days didn't even reach holiday boost stretch. I don't even know how you do the comparison, by days of release or where they were at the same time (Dec and Jan). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

In my head, I thought The Favourite grossed like 25M and thought "oh yeah, that's possible." My heart sank realizing it did 35M back then. The past couple years screwed up my mind when it came to specialty box office. I don't even think Favourite was even seen as that big a hit back then either. I miss those old days. 😭

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's chugging along fine but its PTA for so few theaters isn't impressive. It was only when it played in 8 theaters but dropped big with the first expansion and kept dropping. 

But its PTA at this stage is quite comparable to the favourite, a pre-pandemic award season player. Although I doubt poor things is more audience friendly than that movie. At this stage I would say Poor things is the first movie that have a pre-pandemic like platform release run since Licorice pizza. I was hoping the holdover to replicate a similar run like GB, only smaller but obviously the streaming ruin the party.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

But its PTA at this stage is quite comparable to the favourite, a pre-pandemic award season player. Although I doubt poor things is more audience friendly than that movie. At this stage I would say Poor things is the first movie that have a pre-pandemic like platform release run since Licorice pizza. I was hoping the holdover to replicate a similar run like GB, only smaller but obviously the streaming ruin the party.

yes TF and PT PTA is very similar. I guess Yorgos fans. 

58 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Full context is it dripped 59% from a holiday Monday that basically acts like a Sunday vs a regular Monday where everyone is back to work. Its Monday hold was also great in that context. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Full context is it dripped 59% from a holiday Monday that basically acts like a Sunday vs a regular Monday where everyone is back to work. Its Monday hold was also great in that context. 

Even fuller context is Monday evening was one of the highest rated sports events of the year with the college football final, it’s not the Super Bowl but over 20 million eyeballs on a week night is nothing to scoff at

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Well it’s still the best hold and last MON was a holiday, it still looks very good to me tbh

This will probably ended up similar results of The Favourite back in 2018, it’s starting to outgross it daily from what i saw (TF released earlier to be fair). I’m expecting around 32-35M finish.

Considering how much the landscape changed since TF and that this is probably an even weirder movie, it’s a very impressive run , one of the best for awards contenders since the pandemic for sure

Let’s hope similar results will be seen once it starts the OS rollout next month