Grand Cine

Weekdays 01/08-01/11

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well it’s still the best hold and last MON was a holiday,

10 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

Full context is it dripped 59% from a holiday Monday that basically acts like a Sunday vs a regular Monday where everyone is back to work. Its Monday hold was also great in that context. 

Great point! I'm getting nervous. I don't want it to win Picture and Director cause I'm tired of little seen movies winning when Barbenheimer should take it one way or the other (Nolan/Oppenheimer or Barbie/Gerwig) and that it's Disney movie thanks to Fox merger irks me cause I'm enjoying Disney's bad 2023 and don't want saving graces. They mismanaged and should face the music 100%.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Great point! I'm getting nervous. I don't want it to win Picture and Director cause I'm tired of little seen movies winning when Barbenheimer should take it one way or the other (Nolan/Oppenheimer or Barbie/Gerwig) and that it's Disney movie thanks to Fox merger irks me cause I'm enjoying Disney's bad 2023 and don't want saving graces. They mismanaged and should face the music 100%.

Oh don’t worry about that, i’m sure it won’t win Best Picture. 

Maybe it would had a shot if the winner is decided by the movie most listed at #1, but now that it’s preferential and they want a consensus, these divisive movies doesn’t have a chance because many people will put it at the end of their lists and that counts. 

Oppenheimer is probably taking it easily. The little seen movie with most chances imo is The Holdovers, it’s a cozy movie that maybe won’t get many #1’s but probably won’t get many #10’s either, which sometimes is enough to win. Allegedly, it’s what happened with Green Book.

I have a very strong respect for Fox tho, they’re really carrying Disney quality these past years.

Edited by ThomasNicole

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Lmao

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Oh don’t worry about that, i’m sure it won’t win Best Picture. 

Maybe it would had a shot if the winner is decided by the most movie listed at #1, but now that it’s preferential and they want a consensus, these divisive movies doesn’t have a chance because many people will put it at the end of their lists and that counts. 

Oppenheimer is probably taking it easily. The little seen movie with most chances imo is The Holdovers, it’s a cozy movie that maybe won’t get many #1’s but probably won’t get many #10’s either, which sometimes is enough to win. Allegedly, it’s what happened with Green Book.

I have a very strong respect for Fox tho, they’re really carrying Disney quality these past years.

I wished that meger never happened. Yes, Searchlight and Cameron carry the quality these days. 

I think that Holdovers will win Supporting Actress (that's locked 100%), likely Original Script (now that Barbie vacated) and maybe an Actor (a toss between Giamatti and Murphy unless Murphy takes SAG cause he'll take BAFTA than it's over) but not Picture. It's a type of a movie you vote for cause you don't really like a movie whose Director is going to win (ROMA, TPOTD) so you look for comfy alternative. I don't think that Oppenheimer is like ROMA anbd TPOTD that needs an alternative. Foreign voters will support it I think.

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Thank god we have you rooting against this well-made little film for adults not based on a franchise from the stone age, wouldn't want more of these to succeed!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Likeable star circumvented apathy for the franchise somewhat. Why studios and talent agents advise their stars/clients to insult fans, say divisive or plain dumb shit is beyond me but it doesn't work. Going viral and putting butts in seats are 2 very different things.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Thank god we have you rooting against this well-made little film for adults not based on a franchise from the stone age, wouldn't want more of these to succeed!

I'm rooting for Barbenheimer. Do you know that this year will be 20 years since a movie that made over 300M in dom boxoffice and over 900M WW(1.1B to be exact) won? Small and medium movies win all the fuckin time and not because they are the best (CODA lol). So lets that not be this year. Well made little adult film should win Best Actress and Production Design cause they carry the said little film for adults. But Picture and Director should go to Barbie or Oppenheimer. No split nonsense. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Knock It Off 2

If there is one small movie that can challenge Oppenheimer, that is not holdover or poor things. It is American fiction. Holdover and Poor things is mostly socially irrelevant and unimportant to be a best picture winner. The past 10-20 years if there is a trend, the movie that touches real world issues tend to win like class conflict (Parasite), racial relation(Green Book), nomadland (capitalism), spotlight(press integrity), 12 a slave and moolight(black’s plight). 

American fiction seem to have checked off this box and audience is responding very well with 97%. Could be A+ cinemascore if they poll it. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Also at $93.99m WW per mojo, not counting Tuesday domestic or about $900k from Brazil, so really at least 95 right now. I’m actually starting to believe in 100.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If there is one small movie that can challenge Oppenheimer, that is not holdover or poor things. It is American fiction. Holdover and Poor things is mostly socially irrelevant and unimportant to be a best picture winner. The past 10-20 years if there is a trend, the movie that touches real world issues tend to win like class conflict (Parasite), racial relation(Green Book), nomadland (capitalism), spotlight(press integrity), 12 a slave and moolight(black’s plight). 

American fiction seem to have checked off this box and audience is responding very well with 97%. Could be A+ cinemascore if they poll it. 

if it wins SAG ensemble definitely watch out. It overperformed with SAG while Holdovers and Poor Things underperformed (no Ensemble for either, Ruffalo missing for AF's Brown). I think it's biggest hurdle is winning Script + Acting which is a must for movies that miss director and editing (don't expect AF to get either). 

Edited by Valonqar

I don't have much interest in Hollywood's platform shenanigans anymore. Wide release your goddamn movies or get out. At this point not seeing Poor Things/American Fiction playing near me has pissed me off more than seeing them would actually make me happy.

Edited by MightyDargon
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't have much interest in Hollywood's platform shenanigans anymore. Wide release your goddamn movies or get out.

pretty much this. if you think you have a masterpiece on your hands, sent it to festivals and then release it in 3000+ theaters. Sink or swim like the rest of them.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

pretty much this. if you think you have a masterpiece on your hands, sent it to festivals and then release it in 3000+ theaters. Sink or swim like the rest of them.

Especially since actual audiences WILL get bored and watch "awards bait on streaming" (i.e. Saltburn) if you don't have the balls to make your actual awards bait available. Not all audiences live in NY or LA. This industry is so fucking provincial it's pathetic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Especially since actual audiences WILL get bored and watch "awards bait on streaming" (i.e. Saltburn) if you don't have the balls to make your actual awards bait available. Not all audiences live in NY or LA. This industry is so fucking provincial it's pathetic.

great point about Saltburn. Platform flop, streaming phenomenon. they didn't reach the right audience with platform BS. they targeted arthouse people but it turned out to be tailor made for TikTokers. 

• Like 1