Grand Cine

Weekdays 01/08-01/11

36 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It doesn't matter what I like, those two stories seem like Disney and Warner Brothers floundering. Both studios had a "terrible" 2023, even with Barbie for Warner Bros. and Guardians 3 for Disney. Instead of reflecting on the problem, Warner Bros. is throwing money at it, while Lucasfilm is saying "people like Grogu. Add his name to the title and make it a movie!"

Meanwhile, Anyone But You was made for $25 million and is going to make a healthy profit. And it's not even a well-received film critically.

Warner Bros didn't have a terrible year. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dallas said:

That's why the word was in quotations. But if you say WB didn't have a terrible year, Disney didn't have a bad year, either. Made more than Warner Bros despite zero $1 Billion films. Doesn't help that Zaslav rivals Iger in making terrible decisions.

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

That's why the word was in quotations. But if you say WB didn't have a terrible year, Disney didn't have a bad year, either. Made more than Warner Bros despite zero $1 Billion films. Doesn't help that Zaslav rivals Iger in making terrible decisions.

Warner Bros actually had multiple successes while Disney had one movie that profited and another few that might have broke even. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dallas said:

Warner Bros actually had multiple successes while Disney had one movie that profited and another few that might have broke even. 

I can't, in good conscience, claim Warner Bros. had a good year when:

1. Zaslav was shamed into allowing Coyote Vs. ACME into being sold to another distributor
2. They're seemingly going ahead with making more movies based on Hasbro toys for no other reason than because Barbie was a success
3. The Flash, while not as big a bomb as The Marvels, was a failure on every level, from the controversy surrounding Miller to the terrible filmmaking to James Gunn calling the film amazing.

I'm not going to deny Disney had a bad year, but I'm also not going to pretend that Warner Bros had a good one, either. But again, that's why I used quotations around "terrible."

• Knock It Off 6

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I can't, in good conscience, claim Warner Bros. had a good year when:

1. Zaslav was shamed into allowing Coyote Vs. ACME into being sold to another distributor
2. They're seemingly going ahead with making more movies based on Hasbro toys for no other reason than because Barbie was a success
3. The Flash, while not as big a bomb as The Marvels, was a failure on every level, from the controversy surrounding Miller to the terrible filmmaking to James Gunn calling the film amazing.

I'm not going to deny Disney had a bad year, but I'm also not going to pretend that Warner Bros had a good one, either. But again, that's why I used quotations around "terrible."

Warner Brothers is a business whish succeeds when it makes a profit. These little pieces of gossip are irrelevant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just dropping by to say that it's awesome to see Anyone but You claim the number one spot even if it is just a monday.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, dallas said:

WB's year was definitely mixed at best. Their horror stuff did really good and Barbie's the big thing saving it from being a disaster plus Wonka's ended up pretty nicely, but Flash was a 200-250 million dollar loss, Blue Beetle was a flop, Shazam 2 was a flop etc. Color Purple is now an underperformer for them too. That's ignoring their smaller films that didn't really amount to much either like House Party & Magic Mike's Last Dance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Just dropping by to say that it's awesome to see Anyone but You claim the number one spot even if it is just a monday.

Never thought I would see the day a romcom got number one again. That's pretty cool.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

Not even close.

719qGUOVv8L._AC_UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, then you can dodge some balls.

Here's something rather interesting from Letterboxd.

Barbie was "watched" by 2,652,389 members while Oppenheimer was only "watched" by 1,814,452 members. I would have expected those numbers to be closer.

Even more interestingly, The Super Mario Bros. Movie was only "watched" by 986,806 members. Fascinating.

Obviously, watched is it quotations because these are how many people who marked they saw the film on Letterboxd.

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Here's something rather interesting from Letterboxd.

Barbie was "watched" by 2,652,389 members while Oppenheimer was only "watched" by 1,814,452 members. I would have expected those numbers to be closer.

Even more interestingly, The Super Mario Bros. Movie was only "watched" by 986,806 members. Fascinating.

Obviously, watched is it quotations because these are how many people who marked they saw the film on Letterboxd.

That tracks. And letterboxd has a larger ratio of women to men (would not be surprised if its close to 50/50) than most other movie communities.