Grand Cine

Weekdays 01/08-01/11

TCP is a toast after MLK weekend. It always performed when there's a short-lived external factor (Xmas day, MLK weekend) rather than on its own strength unlike ABY which is all its own doing not this or that life-saving booster.

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

pretty much this. if you think you have a masterpiece on your hands, sent it to festivals and then release it in 3000+ theaters. Sink or swim like the rest of them.

Well, if the studios execs don't feel that releasing the movie in 3000+ theaters, they would have their reasons.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are angry about studios releasing movies at limited level. 

Edited by Kon

52 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm rooting for Barbenheimer. Do you know that this year will be 20 years since a movie that made over 300M in dom boxoffice and over 900M WW(1.1B to be exact) won? Small and medium movies win all the fuckin time and not because they are the best (CODA lol). So lets that not be this year. Well made little adult film should win Best Actress and Production Design cause they carry the said little film for adults. But Picture and Director should go to Barbie or Oppenheimer. No split nonsense. 

What the fuck does any of this have to do with rooting for it to fail at the BO?

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

Well, if the studios execs don't feel that releasing the movie in 3000+ theaters, they would have their reasons.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are angry about studios releasing movies at limited level. 

Becasue many times they misjudge the audience and make them unavaliable to people who would be interested. Saltburn is the latest example. Studio thought it was for one audience but it was for the other that wasn't reached in platform release. Sure, streaming corrects that now but it just shows how clueless they were whom to market it. Likewise, streaming cut Holdovers legs. Not only it got platform release but was sent to streaming too early because they didn't expect it to do well in wide release or something. It's very confusing.

Edited by Valonqar

Anyone But You mantains great holds over 1M.

Unfortunately, this should be the last day in the 1st place, since the Thursday preview for Mean Girls will take that position.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 5

Denying the use of platform release is showing that just how patience is depleting from our world quicker than iceberg. 

I bet if every studio start throwing movie randomly 3000 theaters and then quickly drop them afterward, people will again start complaining they couldn’t come to aware of a movie fast enough before it loses its screentime. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

Anyone But You mantains great holds over 1M.

Unfortunately, this should be the last day in the 1st place, since the Thursday preview for Mean Girls will take that position.

It's passing 50M this weekend. How much more it is expected to earn after that point? Great reasult either way since many wrote it off.

24 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't have much interest in Hollywood's platform shenanigans anymore. Wide release your goddamn movies or get out. At this point not seeing Poor Things/American Fiction playing near me has pissed me off more than seeing them would actually make me happy.

Amen, especially as a foreigner. 95% of these serious prestige movies are similarly restricted to megacities here, and my area never gets them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Guntur Kaaram - $1.036M Previews 

I'm trying to understand this film's potential US/NA Box Office and its premiere... do we know in how many US theaters it is premiering?  I looked around in a couple of US markets, and Guntur Kaaram seems to be in fewer theaters than the recent "Salaar: Part 1," for example.  Salaar was in 802 NA theaters.

Also the above tweet reads "USA Premieres Gross" (not just *Previews*). I found a couple of online articles from today saying that Guntur has broken the $1 Million mark for all of its US-presales, so could this $1.036 M number be referring to total North America pre-sales? An India Times article today reads: "...reports hint at even more astounding numbers, estimating estimating that by the end of its premiere, revenue may reach $1.5 million." (India Times; link below)

For comparison, "on its initial day in North America, "Salaar" generated an impressive $3.7 million." (GreatAndhra link below) Salaar ended up being pretty front-loaded, earning a total $5.6 million over that 3-day Fri-Sun Dec 22-24 weekend (including its Thursday previews).

Links:

ComingSoon.net: https://www.comingsoon.net/indian/news/1481291-guntur-kaaram-advance-booking-collection-us-mahesh-babu-movie-crosses-1m-mark ("trade pundits have revealed that the pre-sales of the movie have surpassed the $1 million milestone in the US. This is a testament to the massive popularity of the Mahesh Babu-starrer. As a result, these numbers are expected to go as high as $1.5 million by the end of the premieres.")

India Times: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/telugu/movies/news/mahesh-babus-guntur-kaaram-pre-sales-soar-past-1-million-ahead-of-usa-premiere/articleshow/106717295.cms?from=mdr 

Great Andhra piece about Salaar Part 1: https://www.greatandhra.com/movies/news/us-bo-salaar-becomes-third-big-hit-for-prabhas-134526#:~:text=On its initial day in,"Salaar" amounts to %243%2C759%2C055.

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

14 minutes ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

I'm trying to understand this film's potential US Box Office and its premiere... do we know in how many US theaters it is premiering?  I looked around in a couple of US markets, and Guntur Kaaram seems to be in fewer theaters than the recent "Salaar: Part 1," for example.  Salaar was in 802 NA theaters.

Also the above tweet reads "USA Premieres Gross" (not just *Previews*). I found a couple of online articles from today saying that Guntur has broken the $1 Million mark for all of its US-presales, so could this $1.036 M number be referring to total North America pre-sales? An India Times article today reads: "...reports hint at even more astounding numbers, estimating estimating that by the end of its premiere, revenue may reach $1.5 million." (India Times; link below)

For comparison, "on its initial day in North America, "Salaar" generated an impressive $3.7 million." (GreatAndhra link below) Salaar ended up being pretty front-loaded, ending up earning a total $5.6 million over that 3-day Fri-Sun Dec 22-24 weekend.

Links:

ComingSoon.net: https://www.comingsoon.net/indian/news/1481291-guntur-kaaram-advance-booking-collection-us-mahesh-babu-movie-crosses-1m-mark ("trade pundits have revealed that the pre-sales of the movie have surpassed the $1 million milestone in the US. This is a testament to the massive popularity of the Mahesh Babu-starrer. As a result, these numbers are expected to go as high as $1.5 million by the end of the premieres.")

India Times: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/telugu/movies/news/mahesh-babus-guntur-kaaram-pre-sales-soar-past-1-million-ahead-of-usa-premiere/articleshow/106717295.cms?from=mdr 

Great Andhra piece about Salaar Part 1: https://www.greatandhra.com/movies/news/us-bo-salaar-becomes-third-big-hit-for-prabhas-134526#:~:text=On its initial day in,"Salaar" amounts to %243%2C759%2C055.

Yeah, the above number is just USA as of 8 AM PST (still a full day of Previews to go). Perhaps, articles published are looking for $1.5M North America Premieres. I should have mentioned the time (as of __:__ AM/PM) so that won't have confused you 😅

As for the Pre-sales, $1,065,286 / 44,929 admits (556 locs) ~ 1,792 Shows for Final Day at USA (incl. Canada it's $1.2M for NA Pre-sales). So, you are not wrong about it.

EDIT: $1,060,007 USA Premieres as of 09:00 AM PST

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

I'm trying to understand this film's potential US/NA Box Office and its premiere... do we know in how many US theaters it is premiering?  I looked around in a couple of US markets, and Guntur Kaaram seems to be in fewer theaters than the recent "Salaar: Part 1," for example.  Salaar was in 802 NA theaters.

For comparison, "on its initial day in North America, "Salaar" generated an impressive $3.7 million." (GreatAndhra link below) Salaar ended up being pretty front-loaded, earning a total $5.6 million over that 3-day Fri-Sun Dec 22-24 weekend (including its Thursday previews).

Links:

All I know is this is $22 a ticket at my local cinemark (normal prices are $7.50 to $9.25) so I’m unlikely to be among its viewers.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

There's nothing wrong with a platform release, if you haven't the patience to wait, that's not the movies problem. 

On Demand culture. It’s ridiculous. Some scarcity is good, actually! People discovering or anticipating things is a nice feeling, but now we’re all demanding instant gratification all the time. 

I’m old enough to remember when patience was a virtue!

Edited by MisterLibby
  • Like 3

Just saw Anyone But You. I’m with @baumer on this. Slayed the audience. Brilliant to see this with a packed out crowd weeks in, for a genre we were told was dead to cinemas. 

Good movie too. Glen Powell - you’re all sleeping on Twisters if you think this crowd aren’t coming back for him. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 2

20 hours ago, dallas said:

Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to say that WB had a solid year. The DCEU disappointed (as always) but aside from small failures like Magic Mike and House Party, all of their releases did great. Even Aquaman 2 may come close to breaking even (unlikely, but possible given non-existent marketing). I do believe that WB will fare far better this year, as their slate is incredibly strong. 

They still spent $100M on marketing and it's very OS/China heavy which is where studios get less revenue from

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

They still spent $100M on marketing and it's very OS/China heavy which is where studios get less revenue from

Ancillaries cover marketing costs. Why's is it so hard to accept that in the current context of CBM, Aquaman is over performing? Yes, in a very black and white sense it is a flop, but movie business is rarely back and white.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Just saw Anyone But You. I’m with @baumer on this. Slayed the audience. Brilliant to see this with a packed out crowd weeks in, for a genre we were told was dead to cinemas. 

Good movie too. Glen Powell - you’re all sleeping on Twisters if you think this crowd aren’t coming back for him. 

Hmm… is he shirtless for the whole movie? I guess I may have to re-evaluate my “most guaranteed bomb ever” assessment of that movie if so….