Grand Cine

Weekdays 01/08-01/11

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Just saw Anyone But You. I’m with @baumer on this. Slayed the audience. Brilliant to see this with a packed out crowd weeks in, for a genre we were told was dead to cinemas. 

Good movie too. Glen Powell - you’re all sleeping on Twisters if you think this crowd aren’t coming back for him. 

Big question is if The Challengers will make more, less or the same. It will surely be compared to this run cause of Euphoria stars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HowSway said:

Ancillaries cover marketing costs. Why's is it so hard to accept that in the current context of CBM, Aquaman is over performing? Yes, in a very black and white sense it is a flop, but movie business is rarely back and white.

Yeah sure, we can go with that 

34 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

~17.3M by SUN? Still nearly 2 weeks until Oscar nominations

His box office coverage of Poor Things is so dramatically positive, I like to think it's a counter to Grace Randolph's intense outrage. Can't wait to scour Twitter the weekend it hits 2,000 theaters for all the indignant reactions. No walkouts at my screening, but shout out to the guy who gave the extended, "Wow!" at one of the sex scenes.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

His box office coverage of Poor Things is so dramatically positive, I like to think it's a counter to Grace Randolph's intense outrage

Let them fight. Both are annoying af with their histronics and (melo)dramatic reporting and should be gone. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Weekend theater counts. Mean Girls in the lead and BRUTAL cut for The Color Purple. On the bright side, the per theater average might improve?

alsways "great" to see a movie that's gonna collapse (coughNightSwimcough) add more theaters while something that's doing well (ABY) losing 120.

Holy shit that TCP drop! You weren't exaggerating!

Poor Things is following The Favorite strategy to a T. Down to 500+ theaters and then expansion after the Oscar nominations. Since it kept 580 vs TF's 517 and TF expanded to 1.5K I assume PT's expansion will be slightly higher than that number maybe 1.6K-1.7K theaters. Probably depends on how crowded the month is.

American Fiction is expanding bigly up to 600 theaters, It went up yesterday.

Goidzilla also got slashed.

Edited by Valonqar

38 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

alsways "great" to see a movie that's gonna collapse (coughNightSwimcough) add more theaters while something that's doing well (ABY) losing 120.

Holy shit that TCP drop! You weren't exaggerating!

Poor Things is following The Favorite strategy to a T. Down to 500+ theaters and then expansion after the Oscar nominations. Since it kept 580 vs TF's 517 and TF expanded to 1.5K I assume PT's expansion will be slightly higher than that number maybe 1.6K-1.7K theaters. Probably depends on how crowded the month is.

It's probably theaters with 1-4 screens dropping Anyone But You, small places that cycle through releases very quickly. 

Poor Things making about as much as The Favourite would be incredibly impressive. I keep waiting for Searchlight to drop a PVOD date to stop the party. It's one thing when a movie had 3-5 weeks in 3,000+ theaters first, and another when the "wide" release was barely half that size.

27 minutes ago, movies!movies! said:

The Color Purple is only holding onto locations where business is at least passable, and a lot of those -2,000 theaters haven't been adding much to the daily totals since New Year's.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, movies!movies! said:

I shouldn’t be surprised since it was already gonna leave the top 10 this weekend. But damn I wasn’t expecting 2,000 theaters to drop it on its third weekend alone. Movie is so front loaded 

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

They also cut big from HG: BOSS and G-1. 

Last weekend's #3 Aquaman 2 losing a whopping 812 theaters (23% of its previous total theaters), last weekend #4 Migration losing about 500 (498) and Boys in the Boat losing -680 are all  large cuts. Hell, even last weekend's #1 Wonka is losing 417 theaters. Those are all bigger drops than most industry forecasters seemed to have been baking into their models. 

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

20 minutes ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

Last weekend's #3 Aquaman 2 losing a whopping 812 theaters (23% of its previous total theaters), last weekend #4 Migration is losing about 500 (498) and Boys in the Boat losing -680 are all  large cuts. Hell, even last weekend's #1 Wonka is losing 417 theaters. Those are all bigger drops than most forecasters seemed to have been baking into their models. 

I mean there's three wide releases coming out this weekend, plus some theaters are also getting Soul and/or American Fiction. This was inevitable, though Color Purple is the only real terrible drop IMO. I don't think this will have much impact on the movies you listed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eric George said:

I mean there's three wide releases coming out this weekend, plus some theaters are also getting Soul and/or American Fiction. This was inevitable, though Color Purple is the only real terrible drop IMO. I don't think this will have much impact on the movies you listed.

With those films, I was thinking more around the margins, particularly in cases where there are fairly close races between certain films at the Box Office, etc. Such differences may help finally sink Aquaman 2 below Migration, help ensure that Wonka comes in well below Beekeeper this weekend, etc. (I'm certainly not saying those will be the only causes, but contributing factors.)

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

8 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Holy shit Barbenheimer is STILL in theaters!

I don't think Oppenheimer's going to completely leave the theatres until like after the Oscars.