filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That's not really how this works, hardly any films with a ton of nominations end up translating into a ton of wins.

In context I think it’s reasonable to say that not awarding lead actress or director noms counts as ‘not going nuts’ for barbie, I’m sure we can agree on that much 

Edited by Hatebox

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If cruise doesn’t get in, no reason Robbie should. It is just isn’t method enough for their role to play a macho-fighter and stereotypical doll. 

That is not the point. The point is that she was snubbed together with the director while Ferrera who was missing precursors cause her performance was nothing to write home about except that cringe speech got in. It would be as if Jon Hamm got in for TGM without Cruise. It's nonsense.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Supporting Actress

Ferrera (!!!!)

not sure what exactly is supposed to be achieved by nominating her, I just cant see how dozens/hundreds of people come together and say it was one of the years best performances

whatever you think about the monologue, the delivery wasn't anything special  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

In context I think it’s reasonable to say that not awarding lead actress or director noms counts as ‘not going nuts’ for barbie, I’m sure we can agree on that much 

Two acting noms, writing and also best picture outside of a bunch of technicals is still quite a bit nuts, it's more nominations than several of recent years' Best Picture winners.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

never udnerestimate Netflix ability to push through actors in shitty biopic baits. Rustin, Nyad, Maestro. Bravo, Netflix. :apocalypse:

I heard shirley awful, but I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up being nominated in the acting categories next year 

Greta directs two shitty movies; gets nominated. Greta directs a master class; gets snubbed. Never change, Oscars. Never change. 

No Margot and no Cinematography also seem sus. 

• Knock It Off 1

Maestro’s the only bad film nominated for BP, which is a pretty big improvement considering most BP lists have 3-4. Margot snub kind of lame, kind of fell in love with that one on a rewatch despite being cold when I saw it theatrically

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

never udnerestimate Netflix ability to push through actors in shitty biopic baits. Rustin, Nyad, Maestro. Bravo, Netflix. :apocalypse:

Netflix with 1/4 the acting nominees should be proof that no one should doubt their power with that group.