filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

Stuff like TMNT and Mario were always going to be a stretch for Oscars because they tend to gravitate towards animated projects with an aura of sophistication to them, which Disney/Pixar and Spider-Verse unquestionably provide. I assume Wish would've easily gotten in if it hadn't turned out to be such a pathetic bomb.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

The Academy, and to some extent Critics and Audiences seem to be a bit over Wes Anderson movies right now except in the form of memes. After Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest it seemed like it was only a matter of time before Anderson got an Oscar but Isle of Dogs (outside just Animated movie), French Dispatch and now Asteroid City are all also-rans.

I do think there’s some minor rejection by a portion of critics as he became way less interested in traditional structures and narratives, which always hurt immediate things like RT scores etc and certainly Oscar chances since most members doesn’t really care for somewhat difficult movies unless they have huge campaigns, which Wes don’t do.

But for the most part he’s still very beloved by most critics. The French Dispatch was the 13th most mentioned movie by the year-end lists of critics back in 2021, this year Asteroid City is 11th (was in the top 10 last week above SpiderVerse).

Box office for his movie are also very consistent for what they are, he’s in a great position imo as a filmmaker. And despite all that he’s likely winning short for Henry Sugar.

Edited by ThomasNicole

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Stuff like TMNT and Mario were always going to be a stretch for Oscars because they tend to gravitate towards animated projects with an aura of sophistication to them, which Disney/Pixar and Spider-Verse unquestionably provide. I assume Wish would've easily gotten in if it hadn't turned out to be such a pathetic bomb.

I think if TMNT had been a bigger box office hit it might've been able to push out Elemental, but it just kinda came and went and didn't have legs nearly as good.

Good nominations overall, directors branch keeps being the most interesting of the academy. 

Some bizarre decisions here and there but yeah, fine. 

Also funny seeing people freaking out over Greta not getting in best director when Barbie wasn’t that well received overseas and it was evident for months that foreign members would likely not support her. Than on US there’s clearly some rejection by directors over product blockbusters which Barbie is, it happens every year (Dune, Top Gun and Avatar this decade only), it was a obvious missing but still people are acting like this is shocking.

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Nimona would have been a bomb like it was on Netflix, Disney likely made the right call.

I know someone reacted with "knock it off," but...

1. The film would have been banned in many international markets

2. The controversy that would have happened with a major studio release never happened because... well... Netflix.

3. I saw a post about the film's viewership on Netflix, and only had 18 million hours viewed in total before it fell off the Global Top 10. Compare that to another Netflix animated film Leo, which had 61 million hours viewed its first week in late November. It's still on the list, with 7.1 million hours viewed last week!

4. There's no way of knowing how much of the film was altered by Netflix. Based on Blue Sky's past output, I assume they improved on the film. But that's conjecture. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Nimona would have been a bomb like it was on Netflix, Disney likely made the right call.

From a purely financial standpoint, yeah. I liked the film but it’s way more niche than people pretend it is. It wasn’t big on Netflix and original animation has been failing to match pre-pandemic numbers. If Disney released it in theaters it would’ve done low numbers, and the same people praising it either would’ve said it bombed was because it was “woke” or because it was from Disney.

At least it actually got released and critically recognized instead of getting canned or written off like other films in recent years…

Nimona was definitely better off from a creative standpoint with Netflix than Disney, so I think as far as that movie is concerned, this is the better timeline for it. Disney probably would've insisted on Bal and Amb being "very good friends"

When I look at the movies that  got zero nomination despite how great their reception at varying degree like all of us strangers, iron claw, AIR, saltburn, Margaret, origin, Priscilla and etc, 2023 is definitely the strongest Oscar year in many many years. I think only 2014 and 2019 match this level of intensity.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's wild how out of touch the general population is. I looked at the replies, and the ones that aren't "Disney sucks" or "Nimona rocks" all seem to think Spiderverse will win.

No one even acknowledging The Boy and the Heron.

The fact that they aren’t even counting The Boy and the Heron as competition will make it even funnier when it inevitably wins. I just can’t see any of the Disney ones or Spider-Verse being big with the older Academy voters, whereas Ghibli has more of a prestige to it that they’ll probably vote for by default.

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Also funny seeing people freaking out over Greta not getting in best director when Barbie wasn’t that well received overseas and it was evident for months that foreign members would likely not support her.

Barbie made $175 million more internationally than Oppenheimer. What are you on about?

• ...wtf 1

Winners predictions:

Game over: Randolph, Zone (Foreign)

Almost there: Oppenheimer, Nolan, Stone, RDJ

2-way race: Murphy and Giamatti, Script categories (Anatomy and Holdovers, American Fiction and Barbie), Spider and Heron

Edited by Valonqar

As a Godzilla fan, i never would have thought that the day would come that a Godzilla movie gets an Oscar nomination, let alone a Toho Godzilla movie.

This is a good day. A very good day. I appreciate it and i like it. Thumbs up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The fact that they aren’t even counting The Boy and the Heron as competition will make it even funnier when it inevitably wins. I just can’t see any of the Disney ones or Spider-Verse being big with the older Academy voters, whereas Ghibli has more of a prestige to it that they’ll probably vote for by default.

If there's anything the Academy loves, it's legacy. Just ask John Williams.

• Like 3