filmlover

Weekend Thread: 2/9-11 | Deadline projects Argylle $6.6M Weekend #2, Lisa Frankenstein $4M

First of all I've never heard of Robin Williams daughter, had no idea she was in the movies and I don't think 99% of the population know she's in movies either. And seriously doubting as far as her chances of having some kind of career because one movie that was dumped on super bowl weekend bombed.

Could you imagine if people wrote off Sylvester Stallone after he did F.I.S.T? 

Can you imagine if people wrote off Matt Damon after he did The legend of Bagger Vance?

Imagine if people said Kevin Bacon wouldn't have a career after he did quicksilver?

You don't judge a person after one movie. End of story.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

First of all I've never heard of Robin Williams daughter, had no idea she was in the movies and I don't think 99% of the population know she's in movies either. And seriously doubting as far as her chances of having some kind of career because one movie that was dumped on super bowl weekend bombed.

Could you imagine if people wrote off Sylvester Stallone after he did F.I.S.T? 

Can you imagine if people wrote off Matt Damon after he did The legend of Bagger Vance?

Imagine if people said Kevin Bacon wouldn't have a career after he did quicksilver?

You don't judge a person after one movie. End of story.

agreed but those are weird comparisons. Being the daughter of a famous actor gives Zelda Williams a huge leg up while those other actors didn’t have that advantage  and Damon had already appeared in several hits before Bagger Vance 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

So uh...how about the game? Anybody excited?

im-a-little-bit-scared-ttthefineprinttt.

===

BTW, we getting a dedicated thread like most years, are we gonna leave the passing game commentary/trailer discussion/ad chatter here?

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

im-a-little-bit-scared-ttthefineprinttt.

===

BTW, we getting a dedicated thread like most years, are we gonna leave the passing game commentary/trailer discussion/ad chatter here?

Yeah, but I have no reason to get it up now. Probably tomorrow morning or later tonight.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

the movie event of the year

95993aa50307cabcf2389e5e75a80b94.jpg

This is a positive message for other crap films. Even with seven Razzie nominations, eventually the kids who weren’t old enough to know better at the time, will feel some strange nostalgia and you could get a re-release. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No marketing and full price for a movie that's been out on streaming for 2 years. These releases weren't meant to get a lot of money but I still bet Disney was at least expecting a few million bucks. I'm still looking forward to seeing Turning Red on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Argylle was a complete mess.

Rockwell is the only saving grace but he's not enough to carry it.

The action scenes are just so over the top cheesey. Even though I felt each kingsman film was worst than the last, I still enjoyed the action in them and each one had at least 1 memorable action set piece. The 2 big ones here are memorable only in how God awful they are. That CG oil scene is going to haunt my nightmares.

The twists every 5 minutes, twists that undo the last twists that comes off a twist that had undone the previous. It's like a Russian doll of twists each one dumber than the last.

3/10. As much as i hated it, it was still better than night swim.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

No marketing and full price for a movie that's been out on streaming for 2 years. These releases weren't meant to get a lot of money but I still bet Disney was at least expecting a few million bucks. I'm still looking forward to seeing Turning Red on Tuesday. 

Well, given how some other re-releases went, maybe. Nightmare Before Christmas made $10 million last year. But I think after Soul bombed and didn't crack $1 million, everyone knew that Turning Red was going to be on the latter end of the scale.

For what it's worth, I went and saw  Dune and Turning Red today, and my area had both of them on the $7 bargain price they usually charge for rep releases and Tuesdays.

Even though both played to near-empty auditoriums (4 of us at Dune, 10 at Turning Red), the experience of seeing both reinforced why I'd love to see re-releases as a more common occurrence in down times at the box office. Both films were most definitely enhanced by the big screen experience.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This is a positive message for other crap films. Even with seven Razzie nominations, eventually the kids who weren’t old enough to know better at the time, will feel some strange nostalgia and you could get a re-release. 

to be fair the razzies were never a good concept for an award.