Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Well, yes of course. Every opinion on every subject matter is inherently subjective because we are all humans and none of us has a truly objective look on things when it comes to art. Science etc is another discussion, but when talking about movie culture, everything is always subjective.

I personally look at plattforms such as YouTube, TikTok or Twitter and i see Dune trending on many of them. YouTube especially gets flooded at the moment with reviews, video essays etc. In the last few years ive never seen anything on this scale for streaming-only movies.

Its also (in my opinion ofc) only logical when you think about it: Everything that takes some effort to do has a higher chance of securing a place in your memory. The less effort it takes, the less likely it is that you will remember it. Streaming is designed to make watching movies easier, more comfortable and ultimately less time-consuming. And that is exactly the right way to make a movie less memorable and hence, less culturally impactfull.

I mean, there are many movies in theaters pretty forgotten too. So, I'm not sure the "effort" to see movies in theaters is really the reason why these have cultural impact.

• Like 1

More confidence: Dune: Part Two seems to be bringing in younger audiences, which is a very good sign that this feature will have legs throughout the spring. The under 25 set showed up at 26% this past weekend per Screen Engine/Comscore’s PostTrak exits.

Let’s also not forget about repeat business: Close to half of those who saw the Denis Villeneuve directed sequel this weekend said they’re going to see it again in a theater. And as far as Dune 3 goes: Message to Legendary and Warner Bros, but 81% of PostTrak audiences say they want to see a threequel.

‘Dune: Part Two’ Mines More Moola: Domestic Opening Weekend At $82.5M – Box Office (deadline.com)

• Like 2

God, this whole "GRRR STREAMING BAD STREAMING MOVIES HAVE NO IMPACT NETFLIX IS EVIL GRRRRRR" schtick is just tiring. We go through this like every other month, and it's such an obnoxious circlejerk. We get it. It's not interesting or funny anymore. And by this point, you guys have already won this battle. So now you're just being sore winners. Who cares about this pathetic battle and "grr streaming bad" stuff anymore? Get over it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 6
  • Knock It Off 8

I’m seeing the narrative pop up online that since this debuted similar to Oppenheimer, it will also gross $900m+. Whole lotta people are going to be disappointed.

I still see it ending in the $600-700m range, which is a great result. Of course it would be great to see Dune go higher, but you have to keep those expectations in check.

Also, Deadline is sticking with the $50m prediction for KFP4 which feels… optimistic.

Edited by Starphanluke
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Gitesh calling it FINAL numbers is weird because these def are not actuals, and so are NOT final numbers.

these are ESTIMATES by Warner Bros.

Let’s see how the actuals go. Paramount made a mistaken of 600K on One Love first Sunday estimate numbers.

So Dune actuals for example may bring 83M.

Anyways those are not final numbers, they are not actuals.

Edited by leoh

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I mean, there are many movies in theaters pretty forgotten too. So, I'm not sure the "effort" to see movies in theaters is really the reason why these have cultural impact.

Thats true, but a theatrical release makes it a lot more likely that a movie is remembered. Thats my main point. From then on, questions about the quality, timing of release, certain themes and actors etc play important roles too ofc, but the theatralic release can make all the difference.

• Like 2

I hardly ever go to a movie twice, and when I do it is because different groups (family/friends) want to go so I just go more than once.

I am definitely going to this film again. Glad the OW was solid and hope its legs hold up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Great opening for a great movie. 

Curious to see int'l revised estimates too

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Astonished 1

On the topic of cultural relevance of streaming vs theatrical ...

I think one major distinction between the two is that there is a long history of box office grosses being reported, picked up (even if just a sidebar) in most major news outlets, while streaming numbers were for a while a black box, and even now just don't break through to the general public.

If you asked 100 people what was the #1 movie this weekend, maybe 30 (40?) could correctly tell you it was Dune. But if you asked for the top streaming film, would there be even 10 correct answers? (fwiw: I would not be one of them)

In addition, theatrical releases are competing amongst themselves in a finite physical space of screens, and by default cannibalize each other, trying to maximize their time in the spotlight before being ushered out the door. Streaming releases however, can become a top hit weeks after release, and can stay on digital platforms for weeks, months or even years (so more like 80s box office runs).

To make an analogy, streaming numbers are like regular season sports contests, where winning is important but there will be another game soon after, while box office grosses are the playoffs: a limited number of spots, and only one winner. And no matter how great a regular season game, more people remember the playoff results, because of the finality of the result

• Like 6

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

What is most impressive about Dune 2 BO is its IM from previews. That bodes extremely well for its legs. 

Without EA, around 9x IM right? 

No huge signs of frontloaded franchise. I’m fully expecting second weekend drop to be in the low 40’s

• Like 2