kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

Anyone but you. 7/10. Bog standard story helped by very fun and likable leads.

Aquaman 2: 6.7/10. Basically the first movie but way more shlock. It was fun turn  off your brain knd of movie. Would have made750M+ in a world where superheroes were still a craze 

TLM . Yeah hadn't seen that. Outside Ariel ,the rest was pretty boring and generic  6/10

Beekeeper 6.7/10.

Wonka 7/10

American fiction 8.5/10

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Didn’t Avatar 2 ended up being one of the most streamed movies of the year while also being one of the best selling movies of the year in home media? I’m pretty sure it was also the most pirated movie in 2023. 

Basically it’s succesful in every possible metric that exists, just like the first one, being a juggernaut in box office being only one of it’s metrics. 

People care about these movies, people watch them both in theaters and at home, just say it’s not a meme online next time and call it a day. 

It's actually insane how much people can be proven wrong about this film only to keep at it because they don't see enough memes.

• Like 6

These Jennifer Lopez or Ryan Reynolds movies on Netflix breaks records too but as Tarantino said who knows them?.

I don't want to compare these movies to Avatar but it's not about memes. You don't need memes to know star wars, back to the future, titanic, lord of the rings and many others were cultural phenomenons. You don't need social networks to see how characters like Gollum, Gandalf were only know by fantasy readers became total cultural icons and no Avatar characters has that.

What's wrong if we admit Avatar is not cultural relevant?. People watched the first movie cause it was the first movie after Titanic (and first movies in 12 years from Cameron) and because "you have to see it in 3D". The sequel came after 13 years and it was the sequel of a movie with 3B dollars in the box office. So people saying "this is not gonna make 1B" especially with a christmas release, were delusional. Still if you make a comparison between tickets sold with the crazy amount again to watch the movie in 3D IMAX or whatever cause "you have to see it in that way" i'm not saying it sold half of the tickets of the first but not that much more.

Imo now it's really hard for the saga to take the momentum with a new movie released every 2-3 years when you can't sell "15 years after let's see how the technolgy changed" if people don't care about the stories. Cause yeah no avatar characters is iconic as Gollum or Dumbledore or Neo from Matrix. And it's not about the memes. 

Maybe it's very cultural relevant in the East of the world, I don't want to make the perception of the West something is real for cultures i don't really know personally. In the West? Avatar didn't became the next star wars, harry potter, lord of the rings. It's just not that  

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

These Jennifer Lopez or Ryan Reynolds movies on Netflix breaks records too but as Tarantino said who knows them?

Because disregarding the fact that those movies suck ass and maybe 1% of the people who watched those movies on Netflix would pay money to watch them, quite literally the amount of people who have seen those movies are much less than the number of people who have seen Avatar. 

• Like 2

I'm not even a big Avatar fan, but arguing that people don't care about Avatar feels quite literally like arguing that the earth is flat. You're pretty much arguing against a known fact with all the evidence in the world using nothing but conjecture.

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Imo now it's really hard for the saga to take the momentum with a new movie released every 2-3 years when you can't sell "15 years after let's see how the technolgy changed" if people don't care about the stories. Cause yeah no avatar characters is iconic as Gollum or Dumbledore or Neo from Matrix. And it's not about the memes.  

I mean, after Matrix 4 (which i loved) and Secrets Of Dumbledore bombing, it should’ve been clear that iconic characters is not all that matters for movies to be impactful. 

Inception and Interstellar are arguably some of the most relevant movies of the past decade and people hardly remember characters names as well. 

To some extent, the “it doesn’t have iconic characters” and the “it doesn’t have memes” arguments comes from the same place, since memes are usually created around characters. And while yeah having memorable characters is nice, measuring impact based on that alone is hollow. Morbius was one of the most quoted characters last year, it’s still quite big on social media, yet the movie is a total failure.

Avatar doesn’t have iconic characters so far, and it’s not the next LOTR or HP, but it clearly didn’t needed to be in order to be equally or more succesful. LOTR and HP have more exciting characters but they also can’t deliver the dreamy otherworldly experience both Avatar stories did. 

Sometimes movies impact people in different ways, and thank God because they’re art not math. Having no Gollum doesn’t mean there’s no cultural impact, it just mean that the impact is probably different, especially because that also doesn’t mean people dislike the characters and their story, or the movies wouldn’t have such great reception … no CGI can save a story from being boring. Like i said earlier, it’s succesful in every possible reliable metric that exists, we shouldn’t keep fighting data twice for the same franchise, so i’m sorry but the Netflix comparisons just won’t do it. 

And while you’re totally entitled to your vision, it’s hard to understand why the franchise will have a hard time from now on right after a movie with amazing audience reception including on US. People loved watching it, but they won’t come back because they doesn’t easily remember the lead name? The tech explanation also doesn’t matter, the movie was a huge success at home too, people can watch CGI in other movies if they want to.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:08 PM, stripe said:

Things I'm crossing fingers for this weekend.

-KFP4 over 35M

-Dune2 under 30% drop

-Arthur with healthy IM to around 12M

-Oppenheimer reaching 330M (so finally 4x OW)

-Cabrini delivering strong hold, with 5M

-Agregated top10 weekend over 100M

-More than 10 movies over 1M. It would require Love Lies Bleeding, One Life and The American Society of Magical Negroes over 1M.

It was a No, no, no, no, no, no and barely yes

Saaaad

People do remember Pandora and its creatures. For a film that plays almost like a documentary for a big chunk of its runtime I don't know what more you would need to know the mission was successful.

"The film sold half the tickets of its predecessor" is not the flex you'd think it is when the market as a whole sells half the tickets it did in 2009 too. Like, yeah, no shit.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

Thought avatar 2 was meh story wise.

But this whole " it's not culturally relevant " argument has aged now.

Just because it's not talked as much about as SW/Indy/MCU/wizarding world and the list goes on and on....

Doesn't really mean it's not . Infact it makes all the more impressive. The rest of the franchises I've mentioned have to maintain a certain amount of chatter to keep interest and momentum going ofcorse corresponding with making of crowdpleaser/good movies.

Avatar 2  trailers were also beautiful but fine , didn't really generate much buzz online as some of these franchises I've mentioned.

Both avatar movies whether one may like them or not are both theatrical experiences that demand to be seen on the biggest screen possible. They are cream de la cream ,gold standard when it comes to technical aspects and visual effect medium.

Avatar don't need memes, cameos ,fan service," character X did the thing".....

It's Avatar . That's all the audience needs to see and it's enough and that's cultural relevancy  , it's just different .

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JustLurking said:

It's actually insane how much people can be proven wrong about this film only to keep at it because they don't see enough memes.

After how much Avatar 2 made, I will never ever doubt the Avatar franchise again.

8 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I think it’s fine to acknowledge avatar is insanely popular while being slightly baffled at not seeing, literally, a single meme for it. In 2024 that is objectively odd. Trouble is, when you say that, some avatar fanboys think it’s an insult and get defensive. But it’s not. It’s just noting an aberration. When I don’t see other billion dollar grosses I still often feel like I have through online osmosis. I haven’t seen barbie but can pretty much guess the story beat for beat and reel off a few quotes by now. Put a gun to my head and tell me to do the same for avatar 2? I’m dead. 

To me that’s not a bad thing, it’s intriguing. The franchise exists beyond the internet. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think it’s fine to acknowledge avatar is insanely popular while being slightly baffled at not seeing, literally, a single meme for it. In 2024 that is objectively odd. Trouble is, when you say that, some  avatar fanboys think it’s an insult and get defensive. But it’s not. It’s just noting an interesting aberration. When I don’t see other billion dollar grosses I still often feel like I have through online osmosis. But not avatar 2. 

If anything it's the opposite, aka people using the fact that the property doesn't generate all that many memes to imply people don't actually care for it. Yet they make these very same movies they supposedly don't care about absolute box office juggernauts and then proceed to make them home media powerhouses on top of that. It's simply a nonsensical argument.

Avatar 2 is one of the rare movie I heard people mentioning it at the workplace, along with top gun 2. Not even meme phenomenon like Barbie generate that kind of buzz at the workplace. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

If anything it's the opposite, aka people using the fact that the property doesn't generate all that many memes to imply people don't actually care for it. Yet they make these very same movies they supposedly don't care about absolute box office juggernauts and then proceed to make them home media powerhouses on top of that. It's simply a nonsensical argument.

well, I’ve never made that argument. 🙂

To me saying the films are objectively very popular and that popularity often isn’t reflected in their internet presence isn’t a qualitative statement, it’s just a fact. And an interesting one in relation to modern box office because it’s so unusual. 

30 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think it’s fine to acknowledge avatar is insanely popular while being slightly baffled at not seeing, literally, a single meme for it. In 2024 that is objectively odd. Trouble is, when you say that, some avatar fanboys think it’s an insult and get defensive. But it’s not. It’s just noting an aberration. When I don’t see other billion dollar grosses I still often feel like I have through online osmosis. I haven’t seen barbie but can pretty much guess the story beat for beat and reel off a few quotes by now. Put a gun to my head and tell me to do the same for avatar 2? I’m dead. 

To me that’s not a bad thing, it’s intriguing. The franchise exists beyond the internet. 

That’s wrong. We do have memes

IMG_0133.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I can't believe, in 2024, we're still having "Avatar has no cultural relevance" arguments after a sequel that was almost as wildly successful. Aren't y'all tired?

Especially following Aquaman and Captain Marvel just proving what a billion dollar or more blockbuster that clearly didn't leave much of an impact really looks like.

• Like 4

Avatar absolutely has cultural impact and the movies are well loved world over. That doesn’t change the fact however that they are primarily FX movies and are very thin in terms of story and character 

• Like 1