kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Big number for GxK.

Honestly surprised too, I figured GvK had the novelty of seeing the two fight each other, but the trailers for GxK were kind of lacking a similar hook to me. Turns out GA just wants monster movies. 

More like GVK didn't reach its full potential at the time of release atleast domestically. Had GvK released today, it would be doing better than what GxK is doing. Lot of people caught it on OTT and enjoyed it enough to come for the sequel. That and the audience that couldn't go for GvK are coming for this. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The thing is, for those to work, you actually need to release the tension instead of blueballing the audience. 

Even Jaws which is used as an example of what Godzilla 2014 was trying to do, didn't cut away after the big reveal. Everything till the Hawaii airport scene, I'm fully on board with the cutaways and maintaining suspense. Once the big reveal happens in Hawaii, every cutaway loses the audience more and more.

not to mention for some reasons  making the movie “MUTOs with special guest star Godzilla”. It’s like if Jaws was about a giant squid for most of the movie and then they go “oh yeah there is also this other creature out there”

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The thing is, for those to work, you actually need to release the tension instead of blueballing the audience. 

Even Jaws which is used as an example of what Godzilla 2014 was trying to do, didn't cut away after the big reveal. Everything till the Hawaii airport scene, I'm fully on board with the cutaways and maintaining suspense. Once the big reveal happens in Hawaii, every cutaway loses the audience more and more.

Honestly, if they just kept the airport fight, the reception of the movie would have done a total 180. It justifies the build-up we got, we have a cool action scene midway to keep the audience avoiding restless, and the climax is still satisfactory. Just not cutting to news footage would have made things so much better. Jaws still showed the shark eating the tourists. If they cut away to news footage and a kid watching on TV, people would not regard it as the classic it is.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Godzilla 2014 was awesome and so many modern blockbusters, not just kaiju movies, could take notes from how it does things like "scale" and "building tension." Yeah the human characters sucked but at least they shot it from the human scale. I get that these silly Godzilla vs a bunch of other monsters are part of the Showa legacy but those movies were cheesy and fun in a way I just don't find these. I'm a vocal hater of the last two of these though so don't let me rain on parade.

Idk, Godzilla ‘14 definitely felt like it was trying to build tension, but the whole enterprise just felt so inert. There was a sense of scale, but it was never coupled with a sense of dramatic urgency like Cloverfield or Minus One had. It felt like a lot of nicely composed images that never signified much, but I also find Edwards to be one of the most dramatically inert directors in Hollywood right now so maybe i’m biased lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefBrody said:

So weird how the KOTM BO has become the anomaly now in this franchise...

That one is easily the worst, so it’s what she deserves. I know there are people here who love it, but even if you are just here for the monster action, I can’t see the appeal when everything is pitch black and full of thunderstorms, so you can’t see shit. Just an ugly looking movie in general. GvK is flawed as hell, but at least I could see what I was looking at.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

It felt like a lot of nicely composed images that never signified much, but I also find Edwards to be one of the most dramatically inert directors in Hollywood right now so maybe i’m biased lol

As an unabashed hater of The Creator, I couldn't agree more. He GETS scale, and does present it very well on screen. But there is literally nothing else beyond that and some aesthetically-pleasing shots. I love me some dinosaurs so God knows I'll watch the next Jurassic movie, but knowing he's at the helm makes me think it will be even worse than the last couple... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Bob Marley, Dune 2, KFP4 all overperform in relative to expectation before their presale opened. Now GxK is added into the mix. 

Outside of superhero genre, WB actually has very consistent wining steak.  

WB very much needs that since the rest of their year outside of FURIOSA and JOKER II is weak.

3 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

That one is easily the worst, so it’s what she deserves. I know there are people here who love it, but even if you are just here for the monster action, I can’t see the appeal when everything is pitch black and full of thunderstorms, so you can’t see shit. Just an ugly looking movie in general. GvK is flawed as hell, but at least I could see what I was looking at.

Both GvK and Pacific Rim made the right decision of having their big night-time fight scenes in Hong Kong. Nothing against Boston or San Francisco, but if you want your visuals to pop, there's far better options.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Why is Kong so big? I thought trailer was garbage but I guess it was just the right big dumb movie at the right time? 

I was also wrong about this. The trailers looked terrible to me. Now I'm thinking if I should see this or not. :hahaha:

People just wanna watch big ass monsters collide in silly ways every 3 years or so. They don't want dumb serious human plots (Wingard knows this as the human characters in both GvK and GxK are just pawns used to move the plot until the point the monsters take over, with the humans disappearing from the screen during the climax of both flicks). They don't want extensive cinematic universes wih hours upon hours of content (it is beneficial for this franchise that nobody knows the show exists and it is canon). Sometimes people just want a dumb sequel every 2-3 years.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

WB very much needs that since the rest of their year outside of FURIOSA and JOKER II is weak.

Beetlejuice should at least do decent, mid trailer & all

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People just wanna watch big ass monsters collide in silly ways every 3 years or so. They don't want dumb serious human plots (Wingard knows this as the human characters in both GvK and GxK are just pawns used to move the plot until the point the monsters take over, with the humans disappearing from the screen during the climax of both flicks). They don't want extensive cinematic universes wih hours upon hours of content (it is beneficial for this franchise that nobody knows the show exists and it is canon). Sometimes people just want a dumb sequel every 2-3 years.

God knows I think it looks dumber than a pile of petrified gorilla poo, but I still have my tickets in LieMAX for tonight, expecting some stupid fun. And judging by the number of seats sold, I think a lot of people think the same. Whether the movie will deliver or not remains to be seen, but it PROMISES to be the kind of movie worthy of a PLF outing.

I think that has become crystal clear post-pandemic - you will still have those huge transcendental movies that are true cultural phenoms, but beyond that, for movie to be successful in the 200-300 million DOM/600-700WW range, they HAVE to look like they justify their playing on a PLF screen. This seems to fit the bill.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Beetlejuice, Furiosa, Joker 2, Lord of the Rings, Twisters - all should do at least well.

Trap and The Watched - WB is usually very good with promoting horror movies.

Challengers, Red One, and Horizons - I have no idea.

Godzilla 2014 had horrible legs, King of the Monsters flopped, GVK and Skull Island did well enough but didn't have an exceptionally positive reception from critics and audiences, and this new one is 54% rotten and doesn't have any new hook, yet the franchise is in a healthy state at the box office. Goes to show how unpredictable audiences are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James said:

Beetlejuice, Furiosa, Joker 2, Lord of the Rings, Twisters - all should do at least well.

Trap and The Watched - WB is usually very good with promoting horror movies.

Challengers, Red One, and Horizons - I have no idea.

RED ONE is also Warner Bros.?

Just now, James said:

Twisters is WB internationally, right? Uni is domestic? If so, I do think WB have the better deal as it seems the kind of movie that will do far better internationally. I would be shocked if it more than 100 domestically.

Furiosa I also am not feeling it. The trailer did not seem well received (even beyond the usual trolling) and despite it being an insane masterpiece, Fury Road was still more of an unexpected hit than a "box office behemoth", it's missing the Max character (which would hurt such a belated follow-up movie/prequel) and seems like it can only go down from Fury Road.

Lord of the Rings probably has the second biggest range out of all of them. I can see a tragic flop or a huge hit, especially given its release date and potential legs. But for now I'm more likely to err on the side of pessimism and call it an incoming flop.

Joker 2 is bound to open big regardless of legs, but Jesus that budget...

And I honestly have no idea about Beetlejuice. Legacy sequel, but the original possibly isn't one clamouring for a sequel? We've had one disaster of a legacy sequel to a 1988 movie already, and Coming to America is arguably more beloved than Beetlejuice. Then there's the Burton factor - he's all over the place both in terms of box office and quality. I honestly have no idea, but whatever happens, I hope it's not a middle-of-the-road performance. Either give me 250+ domestically or under 100, please. I want to be entertained.