kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Tbh i do think loving Fury Road too much is maybe the problem for your friend and should be a problem going forward to a portion of the audience. 

Miller did said the movie is less action oriented, uses time very differently etc. 

Following Fury Road is hard enough, but for people hoping for a similar experience maybe it will be simply impossible to not be disappointed while watching something else. 

I’m not sure this means reviews will be divisive or audience reception will be bad because the franchise had a history of changing it’s tone each movie, but i do think there’ll be some discourse around it especially from people who loveeeees Fury Road a bit too much, which i’m sure is a lot of people. 

He actually said that if anything he thinks reviewers/audiences are going to be too mean to the the film because of this comparison, so fair or not I think there will be a backlash that impacts box office. I'm not too high on it - something like 45/120.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

My justification for Twisters is I'm basically predicting a San Andreas run lol.

Just now realizing what the Twisters is. The creativity of modern day Hollywood never seize to amaze me...

Season 5 Episode 20 GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The tone of this thread feels wildly different to the one for King of the Monsters 5 years ago, where the steep decline of the projections with each passing day was a gut punch to the Goji fans in the site, to the point where some of them even quit the forums altogether for a while. I have a hunch they'll be feeling a lot differently this weekend.

I also wonder where we'd be had Godzilla vs Kong not already started filming, or not been in the can by the time King of the Monsters failed.

I think the Monsterverse would just be dead

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Twisters has a good director and looks like it's at least stylistically faithful to the original so I can see it tapping into a certain receptive audience.

I think Twisters could  be one of the surprises of the summer. I think though it should move up a week to the 12th because it will lose all it's PLF's to DP & Wolvie on the 25th. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Doesn't it feel like if Horizon was really good we would have at least heard whispers by now? That's usually how it goes, especially when Ruimy and EmpireCity types are ready to declare masterpiece at the first positive word. I think it looks terrific, I'm excited for it, Open Range is awesome etc. But I feel like we would have had some sort of "it's so good" buzz or Cannes premiere or something by now. Maybe Costner is just a part of a different crowd, though.

Idk maybe? I don't really care for the whole "early buzz" beat in general and don't think anything should be read into what is or isn't brought up in it. Even if there was buzz that it was "really good" it wouldn't really mean anything except hyping up stans for a news cycle.

Godzilla x Kong is likely going to end up having the run the '21 movie would've enjoyed in normal circumstances with no day-and-date. That asterisk aside, the Monster-Verse has been pretty dependable gross-wise with the exception of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, an obvious outlier due to a mixture of aforementioned reasons (tepid reception to the '14 Godzilla flick, 5 year gap between movies, weak reviews, a crowded marketplace, no hook for more casual viewers not invested in Godzilla/monster lore, etc.).

Just came back from the cinema and this is by far the dumbest of the series, but it was a lot of fun. Pretty much everything King of the Monsters should have been.

Yet again, having Kong as the lead with Godzilla as the heavy, coming in for the monster fights is simply a formula that works for this stupid ass series of movies. 

My bf was completely unenthused going in but he loved it. It's pure cheese and ham for the masses and I can see audiences feasting on it very nicely. I preferred it to GvK as well. Bring on Kong Vs Godzilla: Custody Fight next!

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Just came back from the cinema and this is by far the dumbest of the series, but it was a lot of fun. Pretty much everything King of the Monsters should have been.

Yet again, having Kong as the lead with Godzilla as the heavy, coming in for the monster fights is simply a formula that works for this stupid ass series of movies. 

My bf was completely unenthused going in but he loved it. It's pure cheese and ham for the masses and I can see audiences feasting on it very nicely. I preferred it to GvK as well. Bring on Kong Vs Godzilla: Custody Fight next!

I wish Kong was my dad :(

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

You liked it, hubs?

Um...yes? Did think it was a downgrade from GvK and probably second-worst of the whole Monsterverse saga behind only King of the Monsters. Had fun with it, but there were some deep flaws in the direction (mainly the VFX and comedy) that drag the piece down. But I get the appeal. And the kids in the audience seemed hyped, so good for them.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Um...yes? Did think it was a downgrade from GvK and probably second-worst of the whole Monsterverse saga behind only King of the Monsters. Had fun with it, but there were some deep flaws in the direction (mainly the VFX and comedy) that drag the piece down. But I get the appeal. And the kids in the audience seemed hyped, so good for them.

Yeah, I was a little bit like, "Ooh! That's not..." about some of the visual effects too. Some jokes hit, and others didn't.

But, it was a fun experience.

3 hours ago, M37 said:

GxK has a decent chance to top all except ERAS on Good Friday.  Will also become the 9th highest grossing release of the year after one day, and then be batting GBFE for 4th place for the year by end of the weekend

Nah trust the process

$35M TFRI and the Kong walkups go crazy, $100M OW

/hj

As we told you last night, the audience score on this is high. PostTrak is 5 stars. It’s a really fun creature feature with a lot of heart; heck, it’s even better than Jurassic World: Dominion. Seriously.

I'm not sure if it's a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised it's not since it's written by Paid Anthony. It's impossible to be worse than Dominion, c'mon, it's not some big leap to be better than rock bottom.

Edited by Firepower
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have a good friend who saw the test screening of Furiosa last month. This was the same screening that WorldOfReel reported an "overwhelmingly positive" reaction. My friend, who loveeeees Fury Road, said to tamp down quality expectations considerably and that the movie was a bit inert and a bit of a mess. I was obviously upset to hear this, but that's the word I got.  I think the person Ruimy reported on that had an overwhelmingly positive response did indeed love it and found others that did, and my friend who was disappointed and felt others there were a bit eh on it also had the experience they had. Both totally valid and true experiences, but either one can be used to shape a narrative. I'll just say that based on this divergence I'm not expecting universally praised rapturous masterpiece like Fury Road was.

It does look worse than Fury Road as well.