kayumanggi

Weekend estimates | 31.70M GODZILLA × KONG: TNE | 10.10M MONKEY MAN | 9.00M GHOSTBUSTERS: FE | 8.36M THE FIRST OMEN | 7.85M KFP IV | 7.20M DUNE II

Speaking of deals, I didn't post these b/c they were Atom limited (and ran out within hours)...but The Long Game offered free tickets a week ago for today (but were usable for whatever opening day was at a theater), and Ordinary Angels offered free tickets (twice) for their opening day only.  So, if both movies have surprising previews and/or opening days, now you know why (no idea how many were offered, but as I said, they ran out in a day, so I think it was more limited than KFP4, as an example)...

I couldn't do April 7 (kid college admission event), so no seeing The Long Game for me.

I do have April 24 tickets for Ordinary Angels, which I'm hoping I'll be able to see, but we'll see if kid stuff gets in the way (weeknights are tough, but free date nights are priceless, so fingers crossed)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Marketing materials for Gladiator 2 are already up in the CinemaCon lobby (should probably get a thread for that event open since it starts tomorrow) so Paramount is going to have stuff to show off there. Always figured Transformers wouldn't officially start its marketing campaign until IF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

If TFOne is getting delayed, it's possible it may be because Paramount is in such dire straits they can't actually market their movies until a buyout occurs.

Seeing as they're seemingly kicking off the marketing for Gladiator 2 next week despite it being due for a month after TFOne, I don't think matters are that bad yet. But I do think that these merger plans might cause them to decide to push off some of their less appealing movies far enough that they'll be in the hands of the next regime by the time they're finally out so that the current one can save marketing money, akin to what Fox did with their leftover X-Men movies before Disney came in.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Speaking of deals, I didn't post these b/c they were Atom limited (and ran out within hours)...but The Long Game offered free tickets a week ago for today (but were usable for whatever opening day was at a theater), and Ordinary Angels offered free tickets (twice) for their opening day only.  So, if both movies have surprising previews and/or opening days, now you know why (no idea how many were offered, but as I said, they ran out in a day, so I think it was more limited than KFP4, as an example)...

I couldn't do April 7 (kid college admission event), so no seeing The Long Game for me.

I do have April 24 tickets for Ordinary Angels, which I'm hoping I'll be able to see, but we'll see if kid stuff gets in the way (weeknights are tough, but free date nights are priceless, so fingers crossed)...

Ordinary Angels?  That movie already came out and is gone from theaters. Do you mean Unsung Hero?  That looks like the same type of movie as Ordinary Angels.  Movies that open to around 7m and end their run at 18m. 

Except I get the impression Gladiator 2 was going to get whatever remaining money Paramount has for marketing no matter what. I've seen theater standees for IF but not many trailers or much attempt at hyping the movie. I wouldn't want One being promoted with the effort I've seen put into IF.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Marketing materials for Gladiator 2 are already up in the CinemaCon lobby (should probably get a thread for that event open since it starts tomorrow) so Paramount is going to have stuff to show off there. Always figured Transformers wouldn't officially start its marketing campaign until IF.

absolutely fire tagline.

• Like 1

I FINALLY got to see GxK and i unsurprisingly loved it!

This is the movie where the MonsterVerse finally abandons all ties it its realistic roots (yes, GvK was somehow a bit more "grounded" than this one) and goes full Showa-ish fantasy bullshit that is really fun in my opinion. They fully comitted to this route and i can very much respect that.

What really suprised me was Kong and how good he functions as a protagonist. Godzilla is a glorified grumpy buddy but it works, especially towards the end. The fights are phenomenal in their stupidity. The humans were tolerable, Dan Stevens was the clear highlight.

Overall, id say this is the same level as GvK for me but for a bit different reasons. Cant wait to watch it again and cant wait to watch it after drinking a bit of good old german beer.

9/10, masterpiece.

• Like 6
  • Heart 2
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

While the Omen is not "hot IP," they really dropped the ball with the marketing materials. I saw more stuff for First Omen this April (bus ads, pics of a splashy premiere, etc) than I did for Evil Dead Rise last April (both being old horror IP), but the materials were lacking while EDR made what they had count: better posters, trailers, taglines. 

Edited by Flopped

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It'll crack $100M just to save face, and that is that with Ghostbusters.

mathes going back to an animated series is the way to go if they want to exploit this IP.

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Sydney Sweeney’s social media followers are saying “no thanks”

I mean this is a 9M budget movie that break the record for it’s studio and will finish and ~18M DOM only. 

It’s a clear win imo

I actually got the Ghostbusters stat wrong. It's closer to needs 11 mil than 12 mil. Basically it would have to somehow get dumped from almost all the theaters it's currently playing at to fail to hit 100 mil. 

Very sad about First Omen

Saw yesterday, it’s the best studio horror of the decade along with Malignant. Absolutely insane acting and directing, not even the clear forced connections and the plot being obvious hurt it, incredible commentary about current social anxieties as well without being just another “A24 trauma” type movie. 

They should market this better, let the good reviews drop sooner … even tho it’s not a very crowd pleaser type of horror movie, it could’ve opened bigger.

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 made $202 million in 2014 to Spider-Man 2’s $373.5 million in 2004. Same difference, even bigger discrepancy. The law of diminishing returns in a franchise with numerous sequels. Has always happened. 

I was just using Godzilla as an example but my overall point was revenue isnt increasing but costs are.  This is bad business.  It's bad for theaters. Theaters are squeezing every dollar they can from a declining consumer base.  I'm not saying theaters will no longer exist because I don't believe that but more theaters closing I do believe is coming.  Theaters will need to give the customer an experience they can't get at home....bigger everything screens, sound, seats.  Maybe, multiplexes will remodel from 12 screens to 6 IMAX type screens.  IDK, but what makes money in theaters today is very obvious. For, every original hit like Anyone Buy You (88m domestic) we get 10 that fail just look at the top grossing movies this year.