kayumanggi

Weekend estimates | 31.70M GODZILLA × KONG: TNE | 10.10M MONKEY MAN | 9.00M GHOSTBUSTERS: FE | 8.36M THE FIRST OMEN | 7.85M KFP IV | 7.20M DUNE II

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I am wondering about TFOne, I assume if we don't hear anything about that by IF it's getting delayed.

I wouldn't complain, need open market for Wild Robot

Hasbro just hinted they are going to reveal the figures on April 18th. And there are some murmurs that something will show from it at Cinemacon.

Paramount just does shorter marketing campaigns for their animated movies. Like TMNT last year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I FINALLY got to see GxK and i unsurprisingly loved it!

This is the movie where the MonsterVerse finally abandons all ties it its realistic roots (yes, GvK was somehow a bit more "grounded" than this one) and goes full Showa-ish fantasy bullshit that is really fun in my opinion. They fully comitted to this route and i can very much respect that.

What really suprised me was Kong and how good he functions as a protagonist. Godzilla is a glorified grumpy buddy but it works, especially towards the end. The fights are phenomenal in their stupidity. The humans were tolerable, Dan Stevens was the clear highlight.

Overall, id say this is the same level as GvK for me but for a bit different reasons. Cant wait to watch it again and cant wait to watch it after drinking a bit of good old german beer.

9/10, masterpiece.

I was just wondering if you'd seen the movie or not. I actually preferred this to the last one, which I loved too. But the last movie had a messy, uneven story that was clearly heavily reedited after how poorly King of the Monsters fared. This one flows a lot better, and has a more consistent, even tone than the last one. There's also so much great visual storytelling here, with long stretches of setpieces without any dialogue or actual actors at all. And yet you can tell exactly what story is being told in them. That's what makes this one especially good to me. Skull Island has finally been topped for me, and this is now my new favourite. Onward to more movies!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I was just wondering if you'd seen the movie or not. I actually preferred this to the last one, which I loved too. But the last movie had a messy, uneven story that was clearly heavily reedited after how poorly King of the Monsters fared. This one flows a lot better, and has a more consistent, even tone than the last one. There's also so much great visual storytelling here, with long stretches of setpieces without any dialogue or actual actors at all. And yet you can tell exactly what story is being told in them. That's what makes this one especially good to me. Skull Island has finally been topped for me, and this is now my new favourite. Onward to more movies!

I especially liked the adventure-themed middle portion of the movie and yeah, it reminded me a lot of Skull Island. This movie just knows exactly what it is and wastes not a second pretending its something different.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Very sad about First Omen

Saw yesterday, it’s the best studio horror of the decade along with Malignant. Absolutely insane acting and directing, not even the clear forced connections and the plot being obvious hurt it, incredible commentary about current social anxieties as well without being just another “A24 trauma” type movie. 

They should market this better, let the good reviews drop sooner … even tho it’s not a very crowd pleaser type of horror movie, it could’ve opened bigger.

I agree but sadly the C Cinemascore is telling of how audiences really feel. 

I saw that it opened in almost every international market this weekend; were numbers released? 

It's sooo much better than a breakout hit like Smile, which I found derivative on first watch and never revisited again. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

KFP 4 will surpass PIB 2 , biggest success for Dreamworks since Dragons 3 in 2019. And Even , he could surpass this one and become the biggest success for Dreamworks since Dragons 2  in 2014.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I agree but sadly the C Cinemascore is telling of how audiences really feel. 

I saw that it opened in almost every international market this weekend; were numbers released? 

It's sooo much better than a breakout hit like Smile, which I found derivative on first watch and never revisited again. 

$9.1m international start for The First Omen. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'll also lower my expectations considerably for Fall Guy after how Monkey Man just utterly collapsed. Even $300M worldwide seems like a stretch to me for that one, but we'll see.

You are comparing The collapse of Monkey  Man to the Fall Guy?  One is a hard core R rated movie that had very little appeal to women and  the GA and stared Dev Patel who is not a name  A list actor. The other one is a PG-13 action comedy with two A-LIst actors hot off the biggest phenom of last year and will appeal to both genders.  Is there a chance that the GA does just shrug off The Fall Guy and say we will wait for streaming? Yeah  but Monkey Man failing is not some sign that is more likely to happen.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$9.1m international start for The First Omen. 

That doesn't seem terrible although I don't follow int'l box office closely. Where do you see it ending with that start? 

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

That doesn't seem terrible although I don't follow int'l box office closely. Where do you see it ending with that start? 

About $25m? Still has some markets left and I’m only going by IMDb which isn’t reliable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Man post cmmasterclay’s copy pasta of saying he’s an old guy at 29 and everyone takes me at face value 

I'm 30 now. :( Once you get into that new decade you're mega old. All my friends are married with kids. Making plans is fucking impossible. Everybody just wants to UberEats and watch Netflix between play dates. My parents took me to movies! All my friends went to movies as kids! What happened? 

Anyway, more than being actually old, I'm Box Office Theory old. I've posted since 2008!!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm 30 now. :( Once you get into that new decade you're mega old. All my friends are married with kids. Making plans is fucking impossible. Everybody just wants to UberEats and watch Netflix between play dates. My parents took me to movies! All my friends went to movies as kids! What happened? 

Anyway, more than being actually old, I'm Box Office Theory old. I've posted since 2008!!

30 is old sigh. Not going to say my age but it is a lot older than 30.  You probably did answer your own question there as to why families are not going to the movies as much anymore. Streaming. It's great in some ways but so bad in others when combined with a pandemic it has changed things probably for good. Not much we can do about it. Like I said in a post last night. If you love movies keep going. The theaters are still open. They will stay open and movies will keep coming out. And yes non tentpoles also will keep coming out. They are still on the schedule and the studios will try like hell this week to hype people and the theater chains up this week to see those movies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, narniadis said:

Considering that reality proves your point wrong this is an asinine take LOL. 

But then again, I remember being the young Box Office Fanatic and not understanding why the older crowd (even older than @baumer lol) used to gripe some on the BOM boards. Over 20 years of following the topic shows the same trends and ebb and flow. YES the younger crowd / date crowd has been the larger pocket for decades - but where does the money for that demo come from? If the "middle class dads" don't have the funds or time, its a near guarantee that the younger gens also don't have as much relatively speaking.

Then, look at the actual data from media companies about usage and streaming and we realize the younger demo is also hit by the lack of appreciation for the long-film format and it creates a wider divide that the older crowd cannot overcome.

Funny, I am not usually so negative when I am on this board, but my pov as an accountant means I am looking at the info from pure data points and reality instead of wishful thinking.

My wife and I talk about when we saw xyz movie - Facebook memory just this week was from Captain America 2's OW in 2024 - back when we had more money and time and went nearly every weekend because we love the experience. The last OW we went to? Black Panther in 2022. There are some realities that may not be apparent to those in a bubble - but factually exist and are a major part of whats going on.

I will enjoy finally getting around to MI7 this week, as I also see that Poor Things is on Hulu. It's not for lack of desire but lack of time and financial ability. If you have kids, and are invested in them, you will understand this some day.

Good thing I’m never having kids then. Get to go the movies any time I want and nobody can stop me. 👍🏻