kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

17 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

were it not for 2 very negative reviews, the fall guy's Metacritic score would be maverick-tier, yet audience reactions in no way reflect that

weird movie for there to be a critic-audience divide, did critics give it a pass because its a movie about movies?

TC rating on RT is 81% with a 7 avg.   Pretty close to MC's 7.3.    Which is in line with IMDB & LB's current averages.

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

General audience has never heard of Metacritic tho. And I disagree, a lot of the general audience only see the score on social media, never mind the website itself. 

General audiences use Metacritic all the time. It gets noted all the time for video games, it's not an obscure website. More importantly, it tracks how the critics actually feel about the movie other than good/bad. Fall Guy did not have the kind of "divisive" response Joker did that actually propelled the movie, nor did it have the near-universal praise of something like Oppenheimer or Minus One. It was "this is a good action movie" not "this is an absolute world beater and savior of movies".

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

TC rating on RT is 81% with a 7 avg.   Pretty close to MC's 7.3.    Which is in line with IMDB & LB's current averages.

im pretty sure its mc was 77 yesterday, and that with a 25/100 review included

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

were it not for 2 very negative reviews, the fall guy's Metacritic score would be maverick-tier, yet audience reactions in no way reflect that

weird movie for there to be a critic-audience divide, did critics give it a pass because its a movie about movies?

No, they gave it a pass because they never factor in the cost of seeing a film in their reviews. This film looks like a perfectly good movie that I can wait to rent once it's on digital platforms, in my opinion, but a majority of the critics seeing it saw it for free and watching the film is their job. So they don't come out of the film with the same baggage general audiences have (ticket price, time spent, etc.).

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

No, they gave it a pass because they never factor in the cost of seeing a film in their reviews. This film looks like a perfectly good movie that I can wait to rent once it's on digital platforms, in my opinion, but a majority of the critics seeing it saw it for free and watching the film is their job. So they don't come out of the film with the same baggage general audiences have (ticket price, time spent, etc.).

That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that people did not seem very "buzzed" about seeing Fall Guy before or after reviews dropped, which would have been evident in a spike in advance sales. After all the hype it got ON HERE (but not really on other sites) it'll likely do a bit better than Civil War for its week 1 and cost the studio a lot more. If there had been a single scene or aspect to the movie that was "hyped" (even if it were controversial) I would have changed my tune.

6 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

If there had been a single scene or aspect to the movie that was "hyped" (even if it were controversial) I would have changed my tune.

But there was. The Guinness World Record stunt! That was a major part of the marketing. And the rest of the stunt work, actually.

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But there was. The Guinness World Record stunt! That was a major part of the marketing. And the rest of the stunt work, actually.

...okay, but I seriously don't remember that. It felt very muted even compared to the Civil War "THIS COULD HAPPEN TOMORROW" stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

...okay, but I seriously don't remember that. It felt very muted even compared to the Civil War "THIS COULD HAPPEN TOMORROW" stuff.

That's because it was sandwiched between "This is also a Rom-Com" and "Hey look, Ryan is Beavis again!" marketing. The marketing felt very unsure of itself, and they never stayed in one lane long enough to make general audiences feel comfortable about the film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

That's because it was sandwiched between "This is also a Rom-Com" and "Hey look, Ryan is Beavis again!" marketing. The marketing felt very unsure of itself, and they never stayed in one lane long enough to make general audiences feel comfortable about the film.

I seriously don't even remember the first Fall Guy trailer. This movie's marketing was a total botch compared to something like Civil War. Yeah a stuntman movie isn't "zeitgeisty" but they had no idea what they were selling compared to how comparable action films are usually marketed. 

The Fall Guy looks like the dictionary definition of a movie I'd have on as mindless background noise while I sent emails on my couch, tbh. It looks like a Netflix original in the vein of Red Notice. The good reviews are the reason it's on my radar to even see in theaters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I suspect the marketing was unsure about the direction because there wasn't a big reaction from the audience at any point. If they had felt that the audience responded to any of these directions, they would have been consistent with it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Don't forget, "You loved Barbenheimer, right—right?" at the Oscars (okay, fine, it was brief awards banter) and during Ryan's SNL monologue. Even this Universal promo fashioned as a "marketing meeting" for The Fall Guy has a Barbenheimer reference:

This promo kinda sorta leans into the notion that Universal was having trouble marketing it...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

General audiences use Metacritic all the time.

That is not true. 
I’ve never, ever heard anyone mention it offline. I don’t even see people mention it on twitter for films. 

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Ticket price etc isn’t a factor in the quality of a film though. It has nothing to do with the film. Also, the runtime remains the same. 

People should never let external factors impact their opinion of a film. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth it does seem like theaters are getting a very big boost from the Star Wars rerelease this weekend, so it at least won't be disastrously dead like last week. 

Nearly spat out my drink when I saw the budget for The Fall Guy. F*****g hell! 🫠 Going to be lots of red ink on this one.

At least Uni will have Despicable Me in the summer.

Posted (edited)

More proof that nowdays, just looking link fun  is not enough to make a movie a hit. People are a lot more careful with their entertainment dollars then they used to be.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But as long as money and time are a resource, people will.

And limited resource for many people.