kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

50 minutes ago, Noctis said:

This was more engaging than War. Kingdom, and Dawn are the standouts to me.

I still don't know which one is which and I fucking love that trilogy.

Some really terrible names all around.

Whichever the second one was, that's the best.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Hates it? That's really hyperbolic.

Charlie did an example once showing the difference between a 95% audience score and an 80% one.

You need to reverse them, so 5% hate it for the 95% one and 20% hate it for the 80% one, or 4x as many folks.

Aka - for a tentpole known franchise, 81% isn't good...

War, not that loved, is at 84%, even today...

Dawn is at 88%...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

The verified streets have spoken.

It’s over.

That’s nice. I don’t care. We don’t need 5 pages of doom and gloom nonsense before we get the official preview number. We don’t need to say the franchise is dead forever or that Wes Ball lost his job or that it will have horrific WOM right out the gate. It’s too early in the morning for this. So please curb this hyperbole. And if you really need to get it out of your system, take note that this isn’t the only place on the Internet where you can talk about Planet of the Apes.

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 2

12 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I still don't know which one is which and I fucking love that trilogy.

Some really terrible names all around.

Whichever the second one was, that's the best.

I can't remember too much from them, either. This is exactly why I called this one easily the most memorable. 

I wouldn't expect great legs from it regardless. 2.5x would be a solid result. Just glad it's now blowing past a lot of the tracking comps the past week.

This has never really been an "amazing WOM" franchise, considering each of the Caesar trilogy received ""only"" an A- Cinemascore, probably because each one ends on a bit of a bummer. This new one actually has the least bummer ending of the four, although it doesn't hit the emotional heights of those movies. The "no action" complaints around this one confuse me though, as all of these movies also take their sweet time getting to any serious action.

Anyway, a multiplier above War (2.61) would be decent for it, especially since that movie had franchise-best reviews and July weekdays and still immediately collapsed at the box office.

10 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

This has never really been an "amazing WOM" franchise, considering each of the Caesar trilogy received ""only"" an A- Cinemascore, probably because each one ends on a bit of a bummer. This new one actually has the least bummer ending of the four, although it doesn't hit the emotional heights of those movies. The "no action" complaints around this one confuse me though, as all of these movies also take their sweet time getting to any serious action.

Anyway, a multiplier above War (2.61) would be decent for it, especially since that movie had franchise-best reviews and July weekdays and still immediately collapsed at the box office.

Feel like Rise did have great WOM, it opened higher than anyone expected before the final week rerelease, then did over a 3x multi in the end. Was definitely a bright spot of summer 2011.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Again, Cinemascore is not actually a great predictor of WOM unless it's over A- or below B.

We literally just went through this with Civil War, and y'all did not learn the lesson yet.

Edited by MightyDargon
  • Like 2

Just now, AniNate said:

Civil War was fairly accurate, it was just that a B- actually did mean something like a B-

No, it wasn't accurate at all. The movie didn't actually perform like a B-. I believe Flash was a B and that held very poorly. People here have a million excuses as to treating a Cinemascore like it's the tablets Moses took down when it's a very scattershot projection at best.

12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Feel like Rise did have great WOM, it opened higher than anyone expected before the final week rerelease, then did over a 3x multi in the end. Was definitely a bright spot of summer 2011.

That is absolutely what happened.

Hence why Dawn - also a bright spot in a not so hot movie summer - opened stronger.

People rated Civil War fairly while Flash was rated with fanboy goggles on. I imagine Apes is somewhere in between, though again I doubt legs will be anything super amazing

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$50M+ very much likely now. Planet of the Apes continues to be a consistent, rather undervalued IP.

I mean I think it's valued pretty fairly for what it is at least by the producers. They know both the potential and the ceiling of its audience and how to work within those boundaries to produce satisfyingly entertaining and lucrative blockbusters

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$50M+ very much likely now. Planet of the Apes continues to be a consistent, rather undervalued IP.

Best it remain undervalued tbh or we'll get a million spinoffs that will dilute the value. Even Monsterverse would push it if they did 3 series at once like Marvel does.