kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

19 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It's not that simple though. Despite all the "Streaming is the new cable!" stuff most people won't pay to replicate all the cable channels on streaming. The companies will suffer from the transition because in their old model, most people paid for channels they didn't want or need.

I never said streaming was easy but streaming is what these companies need to replace the cord cutting.  Everything, is happening fast.  Disney Plus will only be 5 years old by the end of year and increased its revenue by 13% in 2023, generating over $8 billion for the media conglomerate.

Cable and satellite TV providers have lost over 20 million US subscribers since 2014. There will be 1.68 billion global SVOD subscriptions by 2027.

Streaming is the future.  Theaters will suffer the most. 

1 minute ago, JimmyB said:

I never said streaming was easy but streaming is what these companies need to replace the cord cutting.  Everything, is happening fast.  Disney Plus will only be 5 years old by the end of year and increased its revenue by 13% in 2023, generating over $8 billion for the media conglomerate.

Cable and satellite TV providers have lost over 20 million US subscribers since 2014. There will be 1.68 billion global SVOD subscriptions by 2027.

Streaming is the future.  Theaters will suffer the most. 

Disney+ is exceptionally lucrative though. Most streamers are still losing money.

23 minutes ago, ScareLol said:

I work as a manager in a cinema in Spain and things are bad, pretty bad. Spanish cinema is practically dead at the BO, except for 3 or 4 films, US films are not doing the numbers we expect and future doesn't look particularly good, only Inside Out, Deadpool and DP4 are seen as potential cinema savers because the rest looks bleak. This weekend is the worst we had since the start of the year. Furiosa is doing nothing in Spain (€543K in 2 days). We have National Cinema Day on 3-6th June (3.50€ per ticket) and our new releases for next weekend are Back To Black and Arthur, both uninteresting for the public.

While in Malaysia, this weekend is the best weekend in 2024 for movie business thanks to combo hit from

a new local breakout and the insane hold of a Hong Kong movie. Garfield come in at number 3 and furiosa only managed to open to number 5 but collectively the top 5 movies generate one of the biggest aggregate weekend gross in post-Covid era. Avoiding over reliance on Hollywood product is paying off the Southeast Asia cinema. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Furiosa was great after all, the janky trailers got my worried for a while.

But the numbers all around continue to be terrible. In my country the situation feels even worse, almost every movie since Dune 2 has bombed in one way or another. During the last month I've watched Fall Guy and Challengers opening weekend and the theatre was half empty.

I'm not a full on pessimist and don't believe theatres will die out, but atm it looks really bad. Hope the rest of the year have some overperfomers to compensate a bit for how bad the start of the summer has been.

Edited by Joel M

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Honestly, piracy tends to be a hassle, especially if you are interested in several shows (although just watching one pirated episode of a show can be very annoying). Therefore, people are willing to pay for a streaming service with many shows.

That's why I have a hard time believing people angry at Netflix who say they're going back to piracy. Maybe they do it for a particular show, but if they are interested in seeing several shows it is less bothersome to pay for streaming.

Feels to me like piracy was at its biggest in the years movies were regularly making billions. I  almost never hear about people bothering to pirate music, shows, etc. in the wild these days. They just stream everything on Spotify, Netflix, etc.

43 minutes ago, crazydom said:

Feels to me like piracy was at its biggest in the years movies were regularly making billions. I  almost never hear about people bothering to pirate music, shows, etc. in the wild these days. They just stream everything on Spotify, Netflix, etc.

Streaming is a legal piracy.

• ...wtf 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yes. Another windows believer! Witness us! 

totally agree. I know some people think the genie can’t be put back in the bottle but I think it can.  A platform decision/agreement by all the studios that they won’t go digital for minimum 45 days, although I’d prefer at least 60.

I don’t buy that this can’t be done. They’ll take a hit for a while as people then realise what’s happening, but I think it’ll have an effect in the long run.

Hell, they could come up with a way to tell audiences how long it’ll be exclusive to cinemas, I don’t know. But they could!  

In Italy italian cinema is living is lowest moment every at the box office.

This is why the 80% of the italian movies (especially the popular cinema) is produced by Vision distribuiton and they own also Sky (the biggest pay TV here) so any movie comes there 3-4 months (sometimes even less) after the theaters release. If It's not enough they have an agreement with prime video for a couple of years now so the movies at the same Moment come both on Sky and prime video. Basically i don't know like 15-20M on a 60M population (and upon  people are interested the most  on paying for a movie) have access to It 

Then Medusa It's another Major and they made 2 years ago an agreement with prime video too, so all the movies come there.

Every italian popular comedy or popular drama come on these platforms after 3 months, after 3-4 years of this people now know you can see all the italian movies "for free" in a very short time so they just stopped to go to watch them.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, judestar619 said:

This is so depressing. Furiosa's one of the best action movies we've gotten in the past decade, and it'd be a shame if the series dies here due to lack of audience support.

If it truly is THAT good, this will help build support 

What’s with Gitesh’s hyperbole about no May movie grossing over $175 million for the first time since 1998. He knew that would happen, so why start crying about it now? Is it for the engagement? I don’t get it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

They're dead until Deadpool & Wolverine and Twisters both take off?

What's with the Twisters obsession? I can see it having good holds because of minors buying tickets to sneak into D&W instead but that's about it. It's not really screaming impressive opening.

Fortunately, I think Bad Boys, Quiet Place, IO2 and DM4 will be hits before Deadpool arrives. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

What’s with Gitesh’s hyperbole about no May movie grossing over $175 million for the first time since 1998. He knew that would happen, so why start crying about it now? Is it for the engagement? I don’t get it. 

But I don't think any worst case scenario would have May to only have one 100m movie.