kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

44 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Furiosa is a reminder why we should really be careful when come to online buzz vs real world buzz. Furiosa definitely has more online talk and that early stage of presale suggest passionate love is indeed present. On the other hand, nobody seem to care another Apes reboot and that movie overperform.

With that, I am quite confident with IO2 because there are real talk about that movie in my social circle. This is what i call the organic buzz. 

Always been a thing. My favorite example is back in 2010 the Internet was constantly hyping up Scott Pilgrim vs the World and it came out and bombed 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Speaking of which, where's all the hoopla about the use of A.I for that? People freaked out when Late Night with the Devil used A.I but not a peep for A.I use in this.

I guess it could count as a double standard since LNWTD used A.I for only 3 images while furiosa uses it through the entire movie by creting a composite face of the young actress and anya (there's no point in the movie where you're seeing the face of younger furiosa, it's always a combination of both faces which did weird me out). I guess you could argue that there's a distinction between generative A.I and A.I that's just used to  aid visual effects. My personal opinion is that it still looks weird and that if you were going to use this tech to alter faces you might as well have de-aged theron, but i have no idea how the general public feels about it or if they notice at all

• Astonished 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Always been a thing. My favorite example is back in 2010 the Internet was constantly hyping up Scott Pilgrim vs the World and it came out and bombed 

Scott Pilgrim was such a bomb that it *checks notes* remains a cult classic to this day and literally got a new Netflix adaptation last year.

Not to say it doesn’t happen, but like, I feel like history has lessened the impact of this example. :P

Edited by Ezen Baklattan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Interesting that Garfield is getting such a shrug domestically after its pretty good OS performance.

All the DOM families are waiting for IO2 and DM4. They know what's up.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Interesting that Garfield is getting such a shrug domestically after its pretty good OS performance.

Could be Woody Woodpecker syndrome, where a character is oddly far more popular in non-English speaking parts of the world than it is domestically.

28 minutes ago, discussingnotfilms said:

I guess you could argue that there's a distinction between generative A.I and A.I that's just used to  aid visual effects

Personal opinions aside, it doesn’t count as double standard because the fight is against generative AI. The type of AI that was used in Furiosa is being used for decades now and is not only acceptable but also doesn’t hurt anyone’s job. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Scott Pilgrim was such a bomb that it *checks notes* remains a cult classic to this day and literally got a new Netflix adaptation last year.

Not to say it doesn’t happen, but like, I feel like history has lessened the impact of this example. :P

Ehhhh... it doesn't change the fact it bombed on release. And I'm pretty sure they planned sequels and stuff before its release.

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Garfield is actually doing very well domestically. This $60 million production will be very profitable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Actually for the overseas market where Garfield has opened for weeks, such as Mexico, Spain or Germany, Garfield is doing about half of what KFP4 made in those markets, thus make sense for Garfield to open at 30m OW. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

People need to learn what AI is. It's not just "any technology". Lord of the Rings didn't use AI to generate thousands of warriors. 

Yes they did. The problem isn't people applying the term AI too broadly, it's that the incredibly broad category of AI has become conflated with a very specific subsection within it. Not all AI is deep learning or generative AI. People have just cultivated a negative kneejerk reaction to the term "AI" even when it's used in innocuous, & not particularly novel, contexts that don't raise the same ethical questions as generative AI.

2 hours ago, cookie said:

Not gonna go into spoilers, but having seen the movie, I don’t think this argument holds up all that well. I think they could’ve made Theron work if they wanted to.

Just got out and...yeah. They could have worked a way to get Theron cast here in this, though Anya does do great stuff. Guess the silver lining in all this is now two great actresses get to do wonderful stuff with a wonderful character. And that's all pretty swell.

• Like 3

I think Maverick aside, Memorial is really not. great release date at this point, same with 4th of July (though that at least has summer week days coming up behind it). Millennials and Gen Z are such "experience" people compared to previous generations that films have a real ceiling on these weekends where the movie itself is clearly not the main event. 

By contrast, early May and Mid July   are clearly more ripe for mega openers where the general public is looking for some excitement outside of the weekly routine. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

I think Maverick aside, Memorial is really not. great release date at this point, same with 4th of July (though that at least has summer week days coming up behind it). Millennials and Gen Z are such "experience" people compared to previous generations that films have a real ceiling on these weekends where the movie itself is clearly not the main event. 

By contrast, early May and Mid July   are clearly more ripe for mega openers where the general public is looking for some excitement outside of the weekly routine. 

Good theory, but what about the Despicable Me movies which usually open around July 4th?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Lately, we've had too many examples of flops on this weekend for this not to be true. Alice in Wonderland 2, Tomorrowland, POTC 5 and many disappointments. That's why i'm saying next year's MI8 is in grave danger

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Lately, we've had too many examples of flops on this weekend for this not to be true. Alice in Wonderland 2, Tomorrowland and many disappointments. That's why i'm saying next year's MI8 is in grave danger

I gotta say, the commitment to the bit is truly impressive and funny. I'm a fan.

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Good theory, but what about the Despicable Me movies which usually open around July 4th?

I think it’s the same, it’s franchise dependent. Take away Marvel from early May and put something else and it won’t magically blow up. Take away Despicable Me/Minions or Jurassic World from the 4th of July and put something else there and it won’t blow up either.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

I think it’s the same, it’s franchise dependent. Take away Marvel from early May and put something else and it won’t magically blow up. Take away Despicable Me/Minions or Jurassic World from the 4th of July and put something else there and it won’t blow up either.

My point was that Memorial Day Weekend is not universally cursed. It's dependent on the movie that's opening.

• Like 2