kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Old-school? Will Smith ate spicy chicken wings on YouTube to promote this film. It also didn’t feel like an all-out blitz despite how it’s doing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

Old-school? Will Smith ate spicy chicken wings on YouTube to promote this film. It also didn’t feel like an all-out blitz despite how it’s doing.

yeah I don't think anything is "old-school" for these movies anymore. I was just curious what people thought of that tweet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

On TV it was quite big (really big NBA playoff budget), but it was also big on new media, Messi, the Jimmy Butler ads long version was online, etc...

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Esp after the Fall Guy failed with that blitz. Gosling and Blunt were out their huffing and puffing as much as Smith and Lawrence and it just did not connect for whatever reason. Too bad both movies succeed as being old school star driven action comedies  but one had the advantage of being a presold existing property I guess.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Lower Caucasian turnout than Creed 3 (23%)??

I've read a different demographic division where Caucasian was the second audience for BB4, while Latino was the Third.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Is this the first movie with a heavy black demo since Little Mermaid btw

Technically, The Color Purple was really big on black demo. However, that movie was a bomb.

Edited by Kon

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Technically, The Color Purple was really big on black demo. However, that movie was a bomb.

Didn't look like a bomb on Christmas day. :( 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Is this the first movie with a heavy black demo since Little Mermaid btw

Book of Clarence is getting shut out with a B Cinemascore. PostTrak moviegoers flat out rejected the movie at 67% and a 45% recommend. Highest-grossing cinema for this movie is the iPic Atlanta, with a low $6K. Mostly males attending at 57%, which is also unusual for a faith-based movie, with the largest demo being 25-34 year olds at 35%. Diversity demos were 57% Black, 28% Caucasian, 6% Latino and Hispanic, 5% Asian, and 4% other. Business, whatever amount there is of it, is in the East and the South.

2 hours ago, Godzilla said:

The films are solid but not many people are clamoring for more Planet of the Apes.

I mean, they're decently popular. This is what I said a couple weeks ago.

"I think it will and should get a sequel. The franchise has a ceiling (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) and the other 3 modern films will all be between $400-$491 million worldwide. If they can keep the budget reasonable at about $150 million for each installment, they should see decent ROI with each chapter. Nothing crazy, but a nice little profit and a solid single/double each time they release one."

It's not the most popular franchise, but as long as they are quality, it's proven at this point that people will show up. I think it's worth it to have a solid, if unspectacular franchise movie to churn out every few years.

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Looks like BB4 did better than expected.

Will Smith got a much need career boost since "the slap".

Now thats confirmed please give us I am Legend II

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

The last couple of weeks have really shown us that many of these film pundits have no idea what they’re talking about.

Like… was there some kind of underlying difference between the campaign for Bad Boys and any other action film this year?

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Looks like BB4 did better than expected.

Will Smith got a much need career boost since "the slap".

Spoiler

He should smack that clown again.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

The last couple of weeks have really shown us that many of these film pundits have no idea what they’re talking about.

Like… was there some kind of underlying difference between the campaign for Bad Boys and any other action film this year?

There was not. Seems like some are just looking for a hit tweet. 

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

Ummm, other than Beekeeper (which followed the same plan), yes.  $5 tickets for the vast majority of GA.

Posted (edited)

Many of the disappointing performances over last few years have been foreseeable from miles away. Nobody wanted Furiosa. Ryan Gosling is not a box office draw in most roles. Etc etc. These were marketing (not to be confused with advertising) failures at the conceptual. The studio just vastly overestimated demand. 

Speaking of marketing failures, HOW did we not have a true, big-budget take on D-DAY to open this weekend? The 80th anniversary press has really been everywhere this weekend. Post-Oppenheimer WW2 mega tentpole? I don't mean SAVING PRIVATE RYAN but an actual film centered around the invasion of France ala the old time classic 'The Longest Day'. This should be the final Spielberg-Hanks tentpole with SS at the helm and Hanks as Eisenhower. Start with the initial invasion of France and grow over a few years ala Oppenheimer. Show the backstory of the French resistance. Imagine the grosses in Europe...

C'mon, Hollywood, be better.

Edited by excel1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Esp after the Fall Guy failed with that blitz. Gosling and Blunt were out their huffing and puffing as much as Smith and Lawrence and it just did not connect for whatever reason. Too bad both movies succeed as being old school star driven action comedies  but one had the advantage of being a presold existing property I guess.

It’s safe to say that The Fall Guy’s marketing failed where it mattered: the trailers. A premise centered around moviemaking and being a “love letter to stunt performers” wasn’t necessarily going to appeal to general audiences. External marketing bits like the Beavis and Butthead bit at the premiere don’t really do anything.