Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Frozen 3 I also think will decrease from 2. Feel like Frozen hype had cooled off 

Frozen writers are bad now. They clearly have no idea what they are doing if you look at Wish floppage. Give Frozen to new directors and writers to bring back creativity, IO2 didn't have Peter Doctor involvement and it had a new director it was still great.

Frozen 2 should have made MUCH more DOM. $477M DOM was so disappointing for such a popular brand, overseas numbers saved the movie. I blame the writing and Jennifer Lee clearly should stick with just running WDAS, and let others handle the next Frozen movies.

Edited by Mojoguy

44 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m expecting the weekend to come in at $99 million. 

If that happens I could totally see Disney pulling a transformers and subtracting 1M from Monday ^^

IO2 is basically what incredibles 2 was in 2018. Nostalgia sequel to iconic original movie.

Potential IO3 if made will make less .

Expecting incredibles 3 to drop too . It's not  doing anything near 600m Dom and don't expect OS to should that drop.

Frozen 3 is dropping . That Japan money is going to be sliced into more than half . Expect some minor drops across Asia.  Frozen  2's. A- CS and and reception later on  hasn't exactly aged that well. 

477 Dom yeah still great number was kind of dissapointing for how iconic the original was esp among kids.

TS5 .Yeah it may be good but it's gone decrease and fourth sequel is cutting it . Japan money cut in more than half. Dropping to 900s.

Zootopia 2 think it will jump domestic 450-500m+ .May make more but not by much . 

Moana 2 could be a 800m-1.3bn depending on reception.

Shrek 5 . Massive nostalgia pull.same category as I2 and iO2 . 900-1.4bn

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 2

Frozen 3 will drop significantly from Frozen 2. It will still hit $300m if it's at least an average film, but won't do much more. If they're smart and market it as the final film in a trilogy, then $1b is a very safe bet. 

Zootopia 2 is a big wildcard. I think it's the best Disney animated film of the last decade and I can see it doing $400m+, but it actually has to be a good film to achieve those numbers. 

Moana 2 will be very big, but I see it having a much higher domestic take compared to the other two films. A 40%-45% domestic share won't surprise me at all. Even with $400m DOM, I doubt it hits $1b. 

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

IO2 is basically what incredibles 2 was in 2018. Nostalgia sequel to iconic original movie.

Potential IO3 if made will make less .

Expecting incredibles 3 to drop too . It's not  doing anything near 600m Dom and don't expect OS to should that drop.

Frozen 3 is dropping . That Japan money is going to be sliced into more than half . Expect some minor drops across Asia.  Frozen  2's. A- CS and and reception later on  hasn't exactly aged that well. 

477 Dom yeah still great number was kind of dissapointing for how iconic the original was esp among kids.

TS5 .Yeah it may be good but it's gone decrease and fourth sequel is cutting it . Japan money cut in more than half. Dropping to 900s.

Zootopia 2 think it will jump domestic 450-500m+ .May make more but not by much . 

Shrek 5 . Massive nostalgia pull.same category as I2 and iO2 . 900-1.4bn

I mostly agree with those ranges. Barring another surprise phenomenon like the first Frozen, IO2's records might stand for quite a while. 

29 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

People were saying the same things about Frozen after the first movie, and see how that turned out 

True. However, Frozen 2 seems to have been popular due to the Frozen brand power, but the movie doesn't seem to be all that popular or iconic in itself. That's why people are unsure whether the brand will still be enough powerful to make Frozen 3 still extremely successful.

That said, many people in this forum also thought Avatar doesn't have enough brand power for Avatar 2 to be extremely successful. That clearly was a wrong assumption.

Edited by Kon

34 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

People were saying the same things about Frozen after the first movie, and see how that turned out 

Nah . First frozen and let it go were a cultural phenomenon. Expectations were pretty high from the get go.  Frozen 2 made a tone of money esp OS due to that. Frozen 2 is no where near frozen in terms of reverence.

Frozen 3 will still make money but like 450/800.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I guess $800m might be the minimum but I don't think enough people have considered what if Moana 2 is a bad movie.

Currently, I am expecting $350m dom and $850-900m worldwide for Moana 2, but I can see it going higher, especially with how Inside Out has been doing. Something around $85m FSS and $125m+ 5-day weekend.

Zootopia 2 I think $400-450m dom or higher (FSS over $100m, 5-day near $150m) and global should see decent enough increases to make up for the drop in Chinese grosses to actually still manage to get past a billion. Absolutely wouldn't rule out domestic going even higher as well.

Frozen 3 then gets to outopen Zootopia 2, but the dom total range remains similar. The global total may be the lowest of the franchise, but can still be around $1.2 billion. Its gonna be hard to maintain and repeat the hights of the second film.

Shrek 5 is gonna be huge. Incredibles 3 is 100% not happening before the 10-year mark of Incredibles 2 release AND they still did not use a very significant hook with that sequel: a time jump/aging up of the characters. There's still too much potential to explore and they could hype it up on an equal level with the second film.

• Like 3

Zootopia is the best animation movie that WDAS released in modern CGI era..it should definitely be bigger of F3 /I3.

I’m divided on S5. Nostalgia might be playing big role with this one

19 minutes ago, CoolK said:

Zootopia is the best animation movie that WDAS released in modern CGI era..it should definitely be bigger of F3 /I3.

I’m divided on S5. Nostalgia might be playing big role with this one

I think Zootopia 2 might be as successful as Inside Out 2, tbh.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Have we discussed the possibility of Inside Out 2 making $700m Dom? 😲

Would take a 3.5x multi from this weekend on though. Maybe possible?

We have and it is

• Like 1

Moana 2 and Zootopia 2 should both open big, looking at how Inside Out 2 is doing now. They're both following up major beloved animations, with the former especially seeing neverending airtime on Disney+. Their final hauls will be decided by their staying power, which will heavily depend on how good and satisfactory they are. Inside Out 2 seems to be successful in those criteria even if it's not regarded as highly as the first movie, which is why we'll be seeing a very good hold for it once the second weekend number lands in an hour and a half or so. So as long as Moana 2 and Zootopia 2 are both received well by audiences, they should have enough staying power for the billion dollar mark.

Frozen 3 on the other hand? I'm thinking it drops fairly steeply from the last movie. The legacy of Frozen 2 is deteriorating more and more every year, and we've seen no shortage of sequels paying for the sins of their predecessors. So unless the movie is seen as a return to form, it'll probably miss that billion dollar mark. I imagine the same would happen with a potential Incredibles 3, given how polarizing its predecessor was as well.

3 minutes ago, XXR & Friends said:

I would see $65M as the higher end, not the lower end.

Yeah legit all bets would be off if the 3rd weekend is $75m. That would be like Avatar legs or some shit. Inside Out 2 is losing PLF so it will take a hit.