Eric Wilson

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

1 minute ago, Kon said:

This is a box office forum. It would be uncommon to be here if you aren't interested on movie's success at some level.

Yeah but rooting for a movie that you don't care about that much just for a marginal gain of movie theaters... seems like a waste of energy

It's kind of amusing how MaXXXine has been receiving a pretty substantial marketing push (including billboards in LA) compared to the afterthought treatment both X and Pearl received. A24 released the former literally one week before Everything Everywhere All at Once began its journey.

9 hours ago, Ryan C said:

The good thing is that even if Despicable Me 4 ends up slightly below $120M over five days, it'll still have a higher five-day total than Despicable Me 3 ($99M) way back in 2017. 

Hopefully this guarantees a final domestic total of at least $250M-$300M.

If it does 115, i don’t see a scenario where it’ll ended up lower than DM3’s 264M.

Normal legs would put it at 285-290M, maybe with less competition and a slightly push from the studio they can try 300M again. 

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah but rooting for a movie that you don't care about that much just for a marginal gain of movie theaters... seems like a waste of energy

I mean it's academic now. I don't much care about DM4's success, but at least it's doing well enough that we've staved off more dooming about movie theaters for another week.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flopped said:

People were freaking out in the maxxxine thread when I said it's bad a couple weeks ago. it's such a shocking step down bc the first two are very good. the misfire of the year. 

No one freaked out, people just said you was starting to be weird about it saying it again and again that it was awful and complaining about critics being wrong when the reviews was very clearly worse than X and Pearl.

• Like 1

Looking at those numbers, DM4 will end up below DM3 WW, especially now without China.  Illumination should really consider just making 1 more Minions and have DM5 be the final DM film.

We all know what happened with Ice Age 5 and its insane drop.

• Like 1

Why are people freaking out about DM4's numbers? The movie is performing fine and it's the 6th movie of a franchise.

It's definitely no Ice Age Collision Course. I really miss that kind of franchise. Ice Age died after the 5th movie, Hotel Transylvania died after the 4th movie. The Minions franchise at least has one more movie for Despicable Me and another for Minions. It's a very impressive performance.

• Like 3

Quroms May tracking for DM4 also didn't have the massive family $ suck of IO2 factored in. There wasn't a way to adequately know it was be this huge versus past Pixar - Illumination match ups. 

The ~115m 5day it will have is more than fine for the market and the film series. 

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s anything disappointing about DM4 performance. It’s just not special when we’re in the middle of a 650-700M grosser run, there’s no much reason to freak out or overpraise it.

It’s behaving like expected tbh, it’s very likely finishing above the previous Despicable Me movie DOM, maybe even getting 300M once again which is an insane consistency for such a long franchise. 

And we need to consider that the movie is likely getting a bit hurted by IO2 blowup, it’s definitely happening overseas, while still doing quite similar business to Minions 2 overall.

So yeah, we’re talking about a sixth movie in a franchise that costs 90-100M to make and will gross ~300M DOM and ~500M OS for a highly profitable +800M finish while competing with a 1.6-1.7B grosser that appeals to the same demo. There’s nothing meh or disappoint about this.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Why are people freaking out about DM4's numbers? The movie is performing fine and it's the 6th movie of a franchise.

It's definitely no Ice Age Collision Course. I really miss that kind of franchise. Ice Age died after the 5th movie, Hotel Transylvania died after the 4th movie. The Minions franchise at least has one more movie for Despicable Me and another for Minions. It's a very impressive performance.

Despicable Me/Minions will go down as one of the most successful children's franchise ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually just how much people want from DM4? The movie is still on track to beat the deadline early tracking of 100m 5 days and pretty much come in line with the general consensus between 115-130m. A better reception coming off from DM3 and will very likely finish above DM3 too but why everyone is freaking out? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's kind of amusing how MaXXXine has been receiving a pretty substantial marketing push (including billboards in LA) compared to the afterthought treatment both X and Pearl received. A24 released the former literally one week before Everything Everywhere All at Once began its journey.

Don’t forget X and Pearl were super low budget released in the same year. Since then it’s built a bigger following. So it makes sense, they’d get behind the last in the series.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

Wait a second. Maxxxine is the third film in a trilogy? I have zero recollection of the first two films if so. Or are people making up that fact?

It's a follow-up to the movies X and Pearl. They're slashers from A24 that star Mia Goth.

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Wait a second. Maxxxine is the third film in a trilogy? I have zero recollection of the first two films if so. Or are people making up that fact?

X and Pearl are the first two.

No idea if MaXXXine is worse than X and Pearl but the overall reception seems to be quite decent 🤔. It has 83% at RT at the moment (with only 50+ Verified Audience ratings but still).