AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

I just can't wait for next weekend if Twisters doesn't open within projections and everyone will be quick to declare the entire box office is in a slump or that movie theaters are dead. 

Just want to say it now so we're not surprised when people start panicking or making doom and gloom posts next weekend. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

$200 million 

Ouchhh. Tough to break even. Don`t look like 200 mill budget to me..

1 minute ago, fmpro said:

Ouchhh. Tough to break even. Don`t look like 200 mill budget to me..

at least that’s what all the internet sources say.  Lots of location shooting, and more importantly they worked real quick on the back straight to get it ready for this summer.  Usually quick post production costs a lot of money for the resource. 

Could well be less than that price in reality though.  I’m sure we’ll find out in due course. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I just can't wait for next weekend if Twisters doesn't open within projections and everyone will be quick to declare the entire box office is in a slump or that movie theaters are dead. 

Just want to say it now so we're not surprised when people start panicking or making doom and gloom posts next weekend. 

Well since most projections are in the 45-55 range  and presales seem to point towards that with at least decent Walkups there should not be that doom and gloom talk but yeah BO Theory will BO Theory if it only opens to 35-45 or something.

45 minutes ago, seduh7 said:

Great numbers for DM4, Longlegs and IO2. With this drop IO2 has increased it chances of beating Barbie. I think it will do it but it will be a close race, it needs to have solid drops for a few more weekends. 

Even with D&W looming, IO2 has weeks more of summer days in it's end run than Barbie did.  Barbie's 5th w/e was Aug 18th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

DP3 is simply too big for Twisters to counter. You may cite IO2 and BBRD's 2nd weekend coexist well but don't forget that the weekend before when BBRD opened, the cinema is operating at just slightly over 100m, so the market clearly has space to accommodate another 150m+ giant. But that is not the case now, next weekend the aggregate number is looking for around 130-140m, another 170m+ opening from DP3 would mean the market approaching its fullest potential capacity of close to 300m. That is unlikely to happen. 

If theater owners are smart, they will schedule Twisters as the “spillover movie”. I did it all the time when I worked there. You have No Way Home at 6:00 and 7:00? Schedule something similar at 6:15 and 7:15 for when NWH sells out. Basically, they should schedule their Twisters shows 15 minutes after each Deadpool show. 

Also, this is a hindsight thing, and obviously I am happy Daisy Edgar Jones got the role, but I can’t help but think that Twisters would have done quite a bit better (at least among the younger crowd) if Sydney Sweeney had been cast instead. Capitalize on the Anyone But You train before the movie fades away, but not too soon that it’s annoying.

• Like 2

If Twisters does flop, I wonder if Powell will have second thoughts about turning down a lead role in JW4. It's been speculated he turned that down because of the confidence that Twisters would become a big nostalgic blockbuster similar but on a smaller scale to TGM or the first JW.

Twisters is a very self-contained story with its disaster premise revolving around a single state. And tornadoes are far more a North American phenomenon than worldwide.

If it were something akin to The Day After Tomorrow etc it would have opened to much bigger numbers overseas.

• Like 1

I have no idea why the internet and entertainment journalists went all-in on Twisters, but it has always been pretty unfathomable as to why they put such high expectations on it. It has always given Independence Day: Resurgence vibes, and it is not even going to outgross that if the overseas numbers are of any note                                      

25 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

If Twisters does flop, I wonder if Powell will have second thoughts about turning down a lead role in JW4. It's been speculated he turned that down because of the confidence that Twisters would become a big nostalgic blockbuster similar but on a smaller scale to TGM or the first JW.

I thought it was a stupid decision. Jennifer Lawrence turning it down I can understand since she's a bonafide megastar and headlined The Hunger Games series. 

However, as much as I like Powell, I'm glad he gave it up because Jonathan Bailey is awesome.

• Like 1

The closer we get to Twisters, the less I see the appeal honestly. It really doesn’t look like something from a director as talented as Lee Isaac Chung, the ad campaign has been lackluster and the reviews are so milquetoast i’d be surprised if they moved the needle either way. Honestly don’t see why it would open to much more than $45m? 

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

audiences: "we're tired of superhero films!"

Studios: "Ok here are some non-superhero blockbusters like Dungeons & Dragons, The Fall Guy, and Twisters"

audiences: "oh we're good"

Dungeons & Dragons is an esoteric sell and it still did over $37m on OW and only failed to hit $100m due to its horrible release date. The Fall Guys had fantastic legs and would have hit $100m if it had opened higher.

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

audiences: "we're tired of superhero films!"

Studios: "Ok here are some non-superhero blockbusters like Dungeons & Dragons, The Fall Guy, and Twisters"

audiences: "oh we're good"

I really don’t think audiences tiring of super hero films meant they wanted Hollywood to go and remake the tornado movie from the 90s. 

In case if nobody noticed, with the $1.08M from the 30th anniversary re-release…The Lion King’s overall lifetime DOM gross is at $423.9M, which means it is over Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest’s $423.3M DOM.

So in a way, Simba has taken down Captain Jack Sparrow’s second film in the US.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2

FWIW, Letterboxd seems to be really liking Twisters. Even if it suffers in its second weekend, I think it can have decent legs throughout late summer.

• Like 4