kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

38 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I dont like Powell next choices Running Man and Backdraft remakes scream bombs luckily he will have the Maverick sequel to fall back on

Eh. Not a bad choice to work with Edgar Wright. Sci-fi I'd hard to call regarding being a hit.

Does the new Backdraft have a director? I think that could be a modest hit. 

1 hour ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I dont like Powell next choices Running Man and Backdraft remakes scream bombs luckily he will have the Maverick sequel to fall back on

These choices seem to be movies his parents rented from Blockbuster 

• Haha 1

Chris Pratt is not a draw lmao. He has a good agent, thats it. All of his biggest hits have been franchise movies with massive brand visibility. Glen Powell's recent successes have been a lot more him-driven. Anyone But You, a sexy romcom that left women drooling for Powell. Hit Man, a streaming hit that let Glen really shine both on his own and next to co-star Adria Arjona. Twisters, although technically a sequel to the 90s hit blockbuster, was totally marketed as it's own thing with Powell at the center of the promotion. So yeah, I don't think it's premature to call Glen a rising star, and I don't think it's crazy to say that he is as big of a draw as Pratt. Powell's prospects certainly look better than many of his peers', and I'm excited to see how his career evolves.

• Like 1

Twisters 2 needs to be a summer 2027 tent pole btw, crowds are going to love the film and the 2 leads together. Maybe they chase hurricanes?

Edited by excel1

Powell’s also got an A24 film that’s currently filming. Even if it’s not a box office hit, diversifying the resume is a solid career move. Work with different directors/studios, be able to appeal to different crowds (women, men, Letterboxd, etc.).

Also there isn’t a ton of talk about DEJ, although I understand she wasn’t exactly the name that was being sold with Twisters. That being said, she’s also putting together a pretty solid resume, and has something coming up with Will Poulter and Jacob Elordi if I’m not mistaken(?). Good weekend for her too!

Having seen it.... first non animated theater trip since Guardians last summer, that was a blast. Hopefully Twister lives up to the originals legacy with great legs after next weekends pounding. 

DEJ was fine, but she was pretty much written to be a straight foil to Powell's shenanigans. Not a whole lot to say about her.

She doesn't really compare to Helen Hunt's spunkiness but that spunkiness was also the basis for a pretty silly character arc in the original so it's just as well. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

I'm just realizing my Jason Bourne comparison was off, I think I got those early estimates mixed up so in that worst case scenario yeah, Twister would still fall short of $200mil. That seems like that might be academic at this point though.

53 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Powell’s also got an A24 film that’s currently filming. Even if it’s not a box office hit, diversifying the resume is a solid career move. Work with different directors/studios, be able to appeal to different crowds (women, men, Letterboxd, etc.).

Also there isn’t a ton of talk about DEJ, although I understand she wasn’t exactly the name that was being sold with Twisters. That being said, she’s also putting together a pretty solid resume, and has something coming up with Will Poulter and Jacob Elordi if I’m not mistaken(?). Good weekend for her too!

This is a great breakout for her given that she's only been in 3 films.

Very happy to see an 80M weekend for this, I had thought it would be a bit of a flop before this weekend.

46 minutes ago, AniNate said:

DEJ was fine, but she was pretty much written to be a straight foil to Powell's shenanigans. Not a whole lot to say about her.

She doesn't really compare to Helen Hunt's spunkiness but that spunkiness was also the basis for a pretty silly character arc in the original so it's just as well. 

DEJ character is very different than Jo Harding. Harding was an in-her prime chaser. DEJ character is a kid who has self created self doubt. Personally I think both DEJ and GP shine here and Twister 3 will be an easy $125m+ opener, especially if they up the anti and make it about hurricanes in Texas? 🤠

3 hours ago, Eric Twister said:

Still surprised Disney hasn't greenlit this yet. Maybe Sandra is hard to get, but I would think you just need Keanu, and he seems like the kind of guy who would say yes to anything.

Keanu didn’t say yes to fast and furious so..

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm just realizing my Jason Bourne comparison was off, I think I got those early estimates mixed up so in that worst case scenario yeah, Twister would still fall short of $200mil. That seems like that might be academic at this point though.

I know Deadpool 3 will hurt it would have to really collapse to not reach 200m from an 80m Opening