ZeeSoh

COMIC CON 2024

I was literally in the car coming back from seeing (and loving) Deadpool & Wolverine when I see this news! Talk about a double shot of adrenaline right into my arm!

I am so totally 100% excited about Avengers all over again after the Kang let down, you guys have no idea.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

RDJ was always going to be back.

ALWAYS

You're kidding yourself if you thought otherwise.

7 years later, and as one of the most iconic villains in all of comics (they are saying he’s playing Victor, not a Tony), instead of rehashing his character (though I’m sure we’ll get some Tony too) is the most ingenious way of going about it.

As Iron man. 

Nobody thought he'd be the next big MCU villain. Let alone Dr. Doom

• Like 1

I'm confused and not into the comics.

So is there a connection to Tony Stark or is there a weird possibility, that RDJ just plays another character in the same Universe? If so, that would be very odd. 

That's pretty much it from Comic Con 2024.

There are only 3 scheduled events for tomorrow as far as I know. And one of them is about some dinosaurs or something called Jurassic World Chaos Theory. But who cares about that!

Right @Brainbug?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

I'm confused and not into the comics.

So is there a connection to Tony Stark or is there a weird possibility, that RDJ just plays another character in the same Universe? If so, that would be very odd. 

Either he's playing a Tony or Howard variant or Howard.... You know 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

omg-oh-my-god.gif

IF the news of RDJ being back as Doom is enough to bring back @Cap then it's already a win

Stephen King Hello GIF by Paramount+

• Heart 3

27 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Reaction to RDJ's announcement in Hall H

I know some people here are not happy about this casting, and some are the usual Marvel detractors. But reception to this news on Reddit seems to be largely positive. Regardless of the reception though, this is huge news and I am seeing a lot of enthusiasm online. IF the Russo's pull off a successful execution, the movie will be huge. The passion for the next Avengers movie was dwindling but this and the success of Deadpool & Wolverine is the shot in the arm that they needed to turn things positive. 

From what I saw on reddit and online it can only be described as mixed.

And these are desperation hail Mary's and are not sustainable. It's gimmicks.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

As Iron man. 

Nobody thought he'd be the next big MCU villain. Let alone Dr. Doom

Actually, when we really stop and think about this, there is an argument to be had that him coming back as the villain, even more so in something as insane as a Multiverse Saga is a no brainer and potentially one of their plans all along. How do you top something like Thanos? How do you top the Infinity Saga? How do you sell a multiversal war, and I mean this with or without a Kang? You bring someone that the audiences have a deep attachment to and twist it. 

Of course that eventually, someone else will play Victor Von Doom or Tony Stark. But for a Multiverse Saga, who else could immediately rise the stakes? I think it’s obvious that we are getting RDJ back as Tony Stark, somehow. But suddenly, EVERYTHING makes sense. Loki’s arc, Tony Stark’s arc, Victor’s arc, crossing paths and going into complete opposites. It’s kinda brilliant when you think about it.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Either he's playing a Tony or Howard variant or Howard.... You know 

It is possible that if we only see Doom post-disfigurement [*IF* he is disfigured — sometimes he's so vain that even a slight scar on his face is enough to send him 'round the bend] then they might just go with the "Nope, no connection to Stark at all" angle.  

And it is possible that they just roll with it and leave any meta-commentary to the Deadpools of the MCU.

Buuuuut, well I won't place odds, but.... Well, "we'll see." works just as well.

I like RDJ as a villain (he was great in Oppy) but I wonder how will other characters react when they realize he looks like Tony Stark? They'd probably make a joke about him being a variant or something or they'd have Doom with his mask on most of the time (which is how he usually goes anyway).

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I like RDJ as a villain (he was great in Oppy) but I wonder how will other characters react when they realize he looks like Tony Stark? They'd probably make a joke about him being a variant or something or they'd have Doom with his mask on most of the time (which is how he usually goes anyway).

I can think of at least one character who would Take It Hard.

(I ain't even an MCU fan and I can see the Emotional Angst coming from parsecs away)

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It is possible that if we only see Doom post-disfigurement [*IF* he is disfigured — sometimes he's so vain that even a slight scar on his face is enough to send him 'round the bend] then they might just go with the "Nope, no connection to Stark at all" angle.  

And it is possible that they just roll with it and leave any meta-commentary to the Deadpools of the MCU.

Buuuuut, well I won't place odds, but.... Well, "we'll see." works just as well.

Yeah, very much like Tony, Victor’s ego is unmatched and stuff of legends. I wouldn’t bank on his disfigurement right away or at all either. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

From what I saw on reddit and online it can only be described as mixed.

And these are desperation hail Mary's and are not sustainable. It's gimmicks.

I don’t really see this as any different than bringing Hugh back as Wolverine variant, and that has been received extremely positively by audiences (despite some complaining online)

11 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

Does anybody know when the marvel panel will be at d23 I can’t see anything about it

I can't see a dedicated MCU panel scheduled right now for D23. That could change in the coming days OR most likely option would be that the big announcements (if any) will happen during the Disney Entertainment Showcase section which is scheduled for Friday 7 to 9 pm. 

• Like 1