AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 β€‹πŸ’£πŸ’£πŸ’£

Box Office: 'It Ends With Us' Grossing Great $7M In Thursday Previews (deadline.com)

Β 

If today was Monday, then Ryan Reynolds won the box office with Disney/Marvel Studios’ Deadpool & Wolverine filing a powerful third weekend estimated at $55.8M.

Β 

The co-financed Sony and Wayfarer Studios movie is still expected to land with a very strong $45M-$49M after a $24M Friday. Some are trying to forecast $50M, and you can’t slam this movie if it falls short of this. It Ends With Us is a major comeback, not just for Lively’s star power, but for female lit books on the big screen. Why send a bestseller to streaming when you can make a ton of cash on a low budget (which here is $25M)?

Β 

Meanwhile, if you really want to talk about audiences who crater, there’s Lionsgate’s Borderlands which expected to do $8M-$10M. The Eli Roth directed feature take of the popular video game got a D+ CinemaScore. Eeeeshh. Also D+, who gets a D+? Why not just give it an F? Typically D+’s are left for horror movies. Every so often in a solar eclipse year, Lionsgate will pump out a bomb.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2014's The Fault in Our Stars is probably the best comp to use for It Ends With Us this weekend.Β 

Β 

That film did $8.2M in its Thursday previews, but was extremely frontloaded and ended up with a weekend of $48M.Β 

Β 

Deadline is saying $7M (not sure if it includes EA shows or not), but Charlie is saying $8M. For now, we should expect an opening weekend of at least $45M and potentially more if walk-up business is strong or word-of-mouth amongst the audiences that are seeing it is good.Β 

Β 

Sadly, I don't think Blake Lively is gonna dethrone her husband for the weekend's crown this weekend.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

2014's The Fault in Our Stars is probably the best comp to use for It Ends With Us this weekend.Β 

Β 

That film did $8.2M in its Thursday previews, but was extremely frontloaded and ended up with a weekend of $48M.Β 

Β 

Deadline is saying $7M (not sure if it includes EA shows or not), but Charlie is saying $8M. For now, we should expect an opening weekend of at least $45M and potentially more if walk-up business is strong or word-of-mouth amongst the audiences that are seeing it is good.Β 

Β 

Sadly, I don't think Blake Lively is gonna dethrone her husband for the weekend's crown this weekend.Β 

How should we call this?

Β 

Ryan & Hugh & Blake?

Β 

Β 

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

August coming to life with this and Alien Romulus next week

Β 

Indeed. The ultimate dream would be to have two back-to-back $50M openers in August. Though it is gonna suck that Alien: Romulus will have to carry the final weeks of August before Beetlejuice Beetlejuice comes in. I really don't see anything coming out between Romulus and Beetlejuice that will keep August flowing.Β 

Β 

46 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

August coming to life with this and Alien Romulus next week

Kevin Feige has a plan and he already has the best comic book of the 21st century on the case.

Β 

Β 

This is a crazy packed month for comic books. And not joking, I could see Avengers x Aliens being a thing in the next 10 years. Β 

• Haha 2

if it's already at 18M in pre sales for the weekend i don't think for how frontloaded can be because female audience- popular book etc.. it already sold like 40% of the tickets (for a 40-45M debut) so i think 50-55M range is possible.Β 

1 hour ago, Grand Cine said:

Audiences score RT for new movies :

Β 

It Ends With Us : 94%

Borderlands : 52%

Cuckoo : 64%

Β 

Great for It Ends With Us , meh for Cuckoo , Awful for Borderlands

A 52% verified audience score is insanely bad. Borderlands might be unwatchable lmao

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That, combined with @charlie Jatinder's radio silence, is an indication we're in for a flop for the ages. Is it even going to get to a double digit launch?

It is insane the amount of ads I’ve seen online here on BOT β€” and even here in Brazil when it comes to Twitter ads for Borderlands. We might be witnessing a bomba for the ages here, and I do think they spent a lot of money with advertising because yeah it wasn’t a Deadpool & Wolverine marketing campaign, but they tried. The ads on Twitter were so annoying that I had to block the film’s distributor.