AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

54 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Sony can't be serious with that Sunday drop? Anyway I was hoping IEWU to top 50m OW but turns out it is just way wat too female skewing to rise celling. 84% is simply too much, not even Crawdads (74%) and ABY (67%) were this high. It is clearly not a date-movie and more like lady night movie.

Should be $48.5m according to Empire

That Saturday drop for IEWU is crazy. Studios really shouldn't be allowed to get away with shoving multiple days of previews into Friday. Soon we're gonna have studios just saying Friday has always been 48 hours long and there's actually only 6 days of the week

17 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

young guys dont read at all don't help 

Actually colleen Hoover is read by young people and the booktook phenomenon made in this decade the book market as bigger as It wasn't from 2007. Her target probably wouldn't read at all if not for these kind of books.

The problem is actually adult people and graduate people don't read anymore too or they read commercial books too, even if targeted to more adult people. What adults read? John Grisham, Patterson etc..

Young people reading "Easy bestsellers books" seems less tragic, at least they're young 

August is ahead of last year now, and considering next weekend only made 93mil~ total last year it should gain a good bit more ground, DP&W will likely make as much money on its 4th weekend as Blue beetle opened to last year and then Alien should be good for 40~ mil? I think? Not really sure past that but a weekend total around 120mil seems easy to do past that.

54 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

That Saturday drop for IEWU is crazy. Studios really shouldn't be allowed to get away with shoving multiple days of previews into Friday. Soon we're gonna have studios just saying Friday has always been 48 hours long and there's actually only 6 days of the week

The drop is pretty normal for this kind of film, The Fault in Our Stars followed a similar pattern

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Anyone who’s more tapped into the book world, what are some other recent hits that would be ripe for film adaptations?

I mostly only read fantasy, Fourth Wing was huge but isn’t that already being adapted by Amazon or something as a series? Brandon Sanderson’s stuff I’m not sure how well would translate to the screen, but even if it did I feel like a series would work better.

Hoover has quite a few hits. Lessons in Chemistry has already been adapted. John Green’s books have mostly all been adapted at this point.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by Victoria Schwab could make for a great romantic movie, at least I think so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Actually colleen Hoover is read by young people and the booktook phenomenon made in this decade the book market as bigger as It wasn't from 2007. Her target probably wouldn't read at all if not for these kind of books.

The problem is actually adult people and graduate people don't read anymore too or they read commercial books too, even if targeted to more adult people. What adults read? John Grisham, Patterson etc..

Young people reading "Easy bestsellers books" seems less tragic, at least they're young 

Actually I think a large portion of today's readers tend to be in their 20s and 30s. That's why the 2000s YA genre sort of died as these people grew up and transitioned into more adult books aimed at that same audience.

From my experience older adults (40s+) definitely don't read at all though. They just watch TV.

As for the gender split I think I read somewhere that something like 80% of books are bought by women so it's VERY noticeable.

Basically older adults read a little or not at all, young women read a lot, young men brag about being functionally illiterate (as this as a younger man)

hmmm with IO2 and DP&W hitting 3 weeks at #1 i wonder if Moana 2 and Mufasa will also hit 3 weeks at #1 each. The only real competition seems to be the LOTR movie on Week 3 of Moana 2(not huge competition but who knows) and Sonic 3 if it legs out better than Mufasa (honestly neither Sonic 3 or the LOTR movie have any trailers/posters out from what i've seen so who even knows if they are releasing in December)

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

hmmm with IO2 and DP&W hitting 3 weeks at #1 i wonder if Moana 2 and Mufasa will also hit 3 weeks at #1 each. The only real competition seems to be the LOTR movie on Week 3 of Moana 2(not huge competition but who knows) and Sonic 3 if it legs out better than Mufasa (honestly neither Sonic 3 or the LOTR movie have any trailers/posters out from what i've seen so who even knows if they are releasing in December)

It depends on which opens bigger. For right now they release on the same day so it remains to be seen which opens bigger (although my opinion is that it’ll be Mufasa) and then it’ll most likely have longer legs than Sonic. Sonic screams front loaded to me. Moana is going to absolutely stream roll LOTR easily. Even in its third weekend. 

2 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

Actually I think a large portion of today's readers tend to be in their 20s and 30s. That's why the 2000s YA genre sort of died as these people grew up and transitioned into more adult books aimed at that same audience.

From my experience older adults (40s+) definitely don't read at all though. They just watch TV.

As for the gender split I think I read somewhere that something like 80% of books are bought by women so it's VERY noticeable.

Basically older adults read a little or not at all, young women read a lot, young men brag about being functionally illiterate (as this as a younger man)

yeah seems talking like a moron is rizz these days lol

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Anyone who’s more tapped into the book world, what are some other recent hits that would be ripe for film adaptations?

I mostly only read fantasy, Fourth Wing was huge but isn’t that already being adapted by Amazon or something as a series? Brandon Sanderson’s stuff I’m not sure how well would translate to the screen, but even if it did I feel like a series would work better.

Hoover has quite a few hits. Lessons in Chemistry has already been adapted. John Green’s books have mostly all been adapted at this point.

Unfortunately, Netflix already got Evelyn Hugo and They Both Die in the End while some are more fit as series (yeah Amazon got Fourth Wing).

Box office-wise, if they'll gonna be really desperate in finding books to adapt, they can look more into the non-fiction (screen rights for The Wager and Britney are already done deals iirc) world. Titles such as The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, Atomic Habits, and I'm Glad My Mom Died will pique interest. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't actually think 2023 was that strong for awards contenders. PGA went 10/10 for Picture and there was never really anything outside of those ten that ever got close. Color Purple only got a Picture nomination at CC, which no one cares about. Saltburn was DOA, All of Us Strangers flopped hard.

What was even next in line for a Picture nomination, Napoleon? Nyad? May December? The Boy and the Heron?

Spiderverse should of got a nomination

10 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't actually think 2023 was that strong for awards contenders. PGA went 10/10 for Picture and there was never really anything outside of those ten that ever got close. Color Purple only got a Picture nomination at CC, which no one cares about. Saltburn was DOA, All of Us Strangers flopped hard.

What was even next in line for a Picture nomination, Napoleon? Nyad? May December? The Boy and the Heron?

Actually in a stronger year, all BP nomination across different precursors tend to match each other, suggest the support was passionate enough to crowd out any potential spoilers. In Only in a weaker year, different precursors tend to have different set of nominees due to lack of consensus for the “on the bubble” nominees. 

Ngl, the state of modern day popular literature/poetry feels even worse than with movies. I got this “poem” recommended on my instagram feed. Don’t think even the most artless blockbuster I’ve seen (haven’t seen Deadpool and Wolverine yet) has made me as angry as reading shit like this.

https://www.instagram.com/irisrosepoetry/reel/C8P6IA9oVu8/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 1