Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think this will do $100M+ DOM easily. OS could be $175M+ type. ~$300M WW be nice.

The lack of big R-rated competition is what makes $100M domestically still possible. It just all hinges on how big that second weekend drop will be. 

Fingers crossed that National Cinema Day gets announced for next Sunday. That would probably help soften the blow of what is probably gonna be a drop over 60%

• Like 1

To be clear I don’t think this is a disappointing opening. My rule of thumb is always that if a film at least does half its budget OW then it’s in business bar poor WOM. So this is a good start and a solid way to close out the summer (we’re just gonna pretend Crow isn’t out next week).

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

To be clear I don’t think this is a disappointing opening. My rule of thumb is always that if a film at least does half its budget OW then it’s in business bar poor WOM. So this is a good start and a solid way to close out the summer (we’re just gonna pretend Crow isn’t out next week).

The Crow feels even more DOA than Borderlands has turned out to be. Blink Twice opening higher wouldn't be a surprise.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Crow feels even more DOA than Borderlands has turned out to be. Blink Twice opening higher wouldn't be a surprise.

Blink Twice is getting decent reviews so far, and has a large cast to attract audiences too so possibly.

I don't know about where the tracking was pointing at some point but isn't alien "just an horror movie" of a saga with already a lof of movies? Why you should expect something more than this already great result? (As someone said also opened #1 almost everywhere). 

Sometimes this forum is "twisters tracking was 50 but is making 80, what a smash"

Then this movie (40M on 80M budget is same as 80M on a 160M budget) seems like disappointing because of tracking, or like some users acted disappointed when eras tour, a concert, opened with 95M on a 3 dollars budget cause someone was tracking an over end game opening 🤣

I can't believe we don't have a Friday update yet. What did Deadpool do, it ends with us twisters and so on.

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Romulus is doing as well as it could've under the stench of Sir Ridley's highly controversial prequels. It would be opening a lot higher had those not been made, but it should still make a profit without much issue. Hopefully future movies end up doing better now that audience confidence in the Alien brand is seemingly being restored.

I don't think so. Prequels didn't have worse reception than Alien 3, 4 and both AvPs, in fact Prometheus had better reception than all of them. If prequels didn't exist, it would've opened after AvP: Requiem, one of the worst films ever made, doesn't look like better stench to me. Plus it doesn't have a hook to appeal beyond loyal part of its fanbase.

Edited by TomThomas

9 hours ago, Kon said:

I mainly said "old" audience in the "not new" sense. 

I mean, Alien is an old franchise. If 74% of the crew is over 25, that likely means the number of new audience isn't big.

It’s ok I was only kidding. 

Very frontloaded for Alien then. The cinemascore is good though and international seems better. 

19 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

WB should put out those type of posters when films break the box office record of the old record holders character hands off to the new record holder (see my profile pic for an example). 

This should have Deadpool pushing Joker down the staircase.

29 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

It actually angers me that the movie flopped

Yeah, but I think sequel could've still happened at least on streaming if Garland wanted it, but he implied he had a terrible experience making it and wouldn't want to come back despite initial plans for a trilogy.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Sad 1