Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Hollywood has and always will be a business and it annoys me that cinephiles don't realise spectacle and familiarity has always been part of that, nobody went to Gone with the Wind for example because it was some arthouse film, they went because it was a grand sweeping epic based on a popular novel.

Excellent point and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've been banging this drum for years. It's always amusing when people say that certain movies are just cash grabs, well like you pointed out Hollywood is a business first and foremost. Anything else that comes second is so far down in importance. 

Even those indie films that are made for pennies, those that make them are still hoping that they're going to get a distribution deal and they'll show up on some theaters or some screens and if not they can get a home video deal or something. 

And I speak from experience with this. I've been in one film that was made by three local Toronto filmmakers. One of them was Gordon Curry who spent about 15 years in Hollywood movies. He also roomed with Brad Pitt back in the '90s. 

They made a film called Magnus opus and their budget was five grand. I had a small role in it and I got to know them pretty well and they were hoping Beyond hope that it would go to Tiff, get picked up and then they would either make their money back or make a small profit somehow. 

The point being is that every movie that you see on the big screen or on Blu-ray or DVD or whatever, those movies are made with the intention of making money. End of story.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaxon5 said:

I tend to look on social media for reactions, never really took imdb seriously. I guess we will find out how good it's WOM truly is by next weekend. Maybe toxic was hyperbowl

outside of the back slapping inside baseball of something like Deadpool, social media has never got a good thing to say about anything, let alone movies. 

As a 40 plus guy who adores Alien and Aliens, trust me, you should go and see Romulus at the theatre. It’s a blast 

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

outside of the back slapping inside baseball of something like Deadpool, social media has never got a good thing to say about anything, let alone movies. 

As a 40 plus guy who adores Alien and Aliens, trust me, you should go and see Romulus at the theatre. It’s a blast 

Thanks for your recommendation. I was going to see it anyway but now that you're recommending it just means I want to see it that much more.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

It´s always funny to me when i stumble on those tiktoks talking about pretentious boring movies and the movies in question are something like Licorice Pizza or Banshees of Inisherin, both very fun and easy to follow watchs. 

Licorice Pizza had that weird controversy regarding the age gap of the main characters. Had that not been a thing, I think the film would have performed just as good as other sub-2000 theater count films at the time.

As for Banshees of Inisherin, it looks like it broke even at least. But of the two films you mentioned, I don't remember coming out of this one feeling super happy. It made me think a lot about death and friendships and loneliness.

They were both great films, but I can understand why they failed at the box office for the most part.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

An increase from true Friday at least and a $41-42m weekend then. International over performing will make up for it not getting to $45m. $110m opening weekend worldwide is a great start. 

Seeing Despicable Me 4 (not my choice) and Trap today to do some catching up. 

Only China is overperforming.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think it’s too early to say this tbh. All franchises pay the price for hated movies … is very usual for well received movies to perform worse than it could right after 1 or 2 hated movies. 

This is the first recent Alien movie after Prometheus and Covenant, people didn’t liked them, especially Covenant. It’s probably expected that a part of the possible audience for this won’t come back right now after being disappointed. 

But now that Romulus was well received, it can bring interest back to the franchise in the long term and create room to grow next time. Think Batman & Robin - Batman Begins - The Dark Knight, to give a very extreme example of my argument.

Romulus is doing +300M WW, and i’m fairly confident it can go higher next time because people liked it this time.

I don't think good reception is enough to bring back audience. It likely needs to ignite emotion in the audience.

Honestly, I think the idea Alien Romulus has a good reception could be exagerated. I feel people think Romulus is fine, but I don't see a strong positive reaction from the audience.

aren't movies by Scorsese, Tarantino, Coppola, De Palma, Eastwood,  Altman, Nichols movies are peak of cinematic art and also apprecciated and enjoable for everyone? For all these reason classics?

All these modern sundance type movies makes 3 dollars and are forgotten after 6 months cause they are pretentious boring stuff. That's not the great american cinema. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

28 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thanks for your recommendation. I was going to see it anyway but now that you're recommending it just means I want to see it that much more.

no worries. I thought it was a lot of fun. I think you’ll appreciate the lengths they’ve gone to recreating the look and feel of the 70’s aesthetic. The production design is absolutely gorgeous. 

inevitably a few turns it takes I was mixed on, but I feel like that about all the Alien films sans the original two.  It’s a ride for sure. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Heart 1

Some numbers

Movie Title Distributor Gross %LW Theaters Theaters
Change
Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Weekends In
Release
- (4) Borderlands Lionsgate $2,350,000 -73% 3,125 n/c $752 $13,542,237 2
- (9) Cuckoo Neon $866,000 -71% 1,402 -101 $618 $5,316,887 2
- (10) Longlegs Neon $721,050 -63% 645 -665 $1,118 $72,929,845 6
- (11) Dìdi (弟弟) Focus Features $700,000 +8% 427 +227 $1,639 $2,693,030 4
- N Skincare IFC Films $315,894   768   $411 $315,894 1
- (14) Sing Sing A24 $251,955 +10% 112 +73 $2,250 $1,176,009 6
- (12) A Quiet Place: Day One Paramount Pi… $113,000 -76% 135 -333 $837 $138,891,000 8
- (-) Widow Clicquot Vertical Ent… $39,000 -42% 49 -32 $796 $849,681 5
- (-) The Good Half Utopia $38,080   53   $718 $146,162 4
- (-) Janet Planet A24 $11,945 +7% 11 -5 $1,086 $793,638 9
- (-) MaXXXine A24 $6,951 -78% 13 -16 $535 $15,097,633 7
- (-) La chimera Neon $1,200   1   $1,200 $1,004,503 21

i thought romulus was pretty standard fair until those last twenty minutes where it really set itself apart.

is there any better drug than a collective theater gasp?

seeing coraline in 3d today and am as excited for that as i have been anything else all year.

Edited by RyneOh1040

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How big will Borderlands' theater drop be next weekend? 2,000+ theaters doesn't seem that crazy.

It is gonna be on VOD stores before the month ends for sure.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Hollywood has and always will be a business and it annoys me that cinephiles don't realise spectacle and familiarity has always been part of that, nobody went to Gone with the Wind for example because it was some arthouse film, they went because it was a grand sweeping epic based on a popular novel.

The familiarity was the actors lol. We can sit here and pretend things haven't changed but one look at the highest grossing movies of those times vs our times reveals it as a delusional take.

The adult drama landscape is nearly dead (atleast at the BO), originals are nearly dead, and even book adaptations are getting rarer these days (yes, I am well aware we still get occasional successes off those, i.e. IEWU and thankfully stuff like Dune). But it's getting drier and drier, and forgive me I'm not out here ripping my hair off for cameofest #126151 doing well.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

seeing coraline in 3d today and am as excited for that as i have been anything else all year.

Enjoy! The remaster is incredible, I hope you have a nice crowd too, feeling the love for this movie in the air just made the experience that much brighter 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But having the final hour be about Oppenheimer getting his revenge on Strauss in court and succeeding? You come out of the film feeling great. That's mostly all audiences want in the end.

The movie ends with Oppenheimer contemplating the damage he has done to the world and the likelihood of nuclear war. That’s not a happy ending.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

What a fantastic run this film has had. How many movies in the franchise now have they released? They're all very very consistent.

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It is gonna be on VOD stores before the month ends for sure.

Lionsflop about to drop another high-profile dud next weekend. What a time to be alive!

Crazy that Strangers: Chapter 1 might be their closest thing to a hit this year with a gross of just $35M. The new Dave Bautista/Halle Berry/Mark Wahlberg vehicles they have coming out soon all look like Netflix originals. No wonder they're wasting no time greenlighting the next Hunger Games prequel before the book it's based on is even published.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

What a fantastic run this film has had. How many movies in the franchise now have they released? They're all very very consistent.

Now It's the sixth, probably finish around 360M , just 2% off record of the Franchise ( Minions 2) .