kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Thursday Previews | 1.95M THE WILD ROBOT | 0.77M MEGALOPOLIS

7 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Yeah but who can take those seriously? I mean Shawshank is the best movie of all time according to imdb, and it's a solid B. That whole list is basically, white college guys and white dads voting. 

The Godfather is one of the BEST movies ever.

And the second one is even better imo.

I mean Godfather is a Swiss watch. Every dialogue beat, character moment, plot point, and acting performance is absolute perfection. It’s a sprawling epic and deeply intimate all at once. There’s a reason it’s still iconic over 50 years later and there are very few that match it.

Will say I do like Goodfellas more than Godfather 2. Godfather 2 is a wee bit more saggy, though still excellent on all accounts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Wild Eric said:

I mean Godfather is a Swiss watch. Every dialogue beat, character moment, plot point, and acting performance is absolute perfection. It’s a sprawling epic and deeply intimate all at once. There’s a reason it’s still iconic over 50 years later and there are very few that match it.

Will say I do like Goodfellas more than Godfather 2. Godfather 2 is a wee bit more saggy, though still excellent on all accounts.

Gun to my head-Godfather, Goodfellas, Godfather 2 in that order  but  they are all 10/10 movies and the faults would be quibbles.

53 minutes ago, The Wild Eric said:

I mean we got both a future Southland Tales-style cult classic in the making, and we got high-quality memes from this affair. And you know what? That’s all we really need out of a movie.

And the fake critic trailers and people being fired. 

Although, what has the director of Southland Tales done since? 

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

At this point, I don't think a better release date would've helped the movie much. That projected second weekend drop is an indication the casual audience is straight up rejecting the movie, which sadly is primarily because of the movie itself being made with Transformers diehards as its primary audience. Most people simply never asked for or wanted a Transformers origin movie to begin with.

But I definitely agree that Paramount's management of the brand has been atrocious. The perfect relaunch opportunity was delivered to them on a Megalon platter with Bumblebee, and yet instead of properly analyzing what it did right, they went right back into the same mistakes with Rise of the Beasts. And now they are paying the price, as even if they make another great Transformers movie now, no one will go see it. The mountain who cried wolf. I hope, for the brand's sake, Hasbro revokes Paramount's license after this mess and goes on the hunt for a new partner that'll give these timeless characters the care and respect they deserve.

What makes this even more baffling is, Manhog disaster aside, Paramount has actually done well with Sonic especially. They've given that property the necessary care and respect, scheduled the movies appropiately, and consistently capitalized on the momentum of each movie by amplifying what fans loved. And they've just given Ninja Turtles a new lease on life. So they know how to properly manage these classic brands. Then why do they keep fucking up with Transformers so much, arguably their most cinematic brand?

I mean sure, Sonic 1 & 2 were scheduled appropriately but I hesitate to say if Sonic 3 was. I’d argue it’s slightly worse than Transformers Ones release. At least there was a week separating Transformers and the Wild Robot. Releasing the same exact day as Mufasa with extremely similar audiences is asking for a disappointing performance.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I mean sure, Sonic 1 & 2 were scheduled appropriately but I hesitate to say if Sonic 3 was. I’d argue it’s slightly worse than Transformers Ones release. At least there was a week separating Transformers and the Wild Robot. Releasing the same exact day as Mufasa with extremely similar audiences is asking for a disappointing performance.

I genuinely cannot tell if Sonic is going to do extremely well and that I'm underestimating the fandom, or if it's going to do okay and the internet is just a very vocal minority regarding the Sonic films.

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

And the fake critic trailers and people being fired. 

Although, what has the director of Southland Tales done since? 

He directed The Box with Cameron Diaz...and that's it. I guess that film was the last straw with him and Hollywood.

Some people are so weird towards some directors lol. 

Do we really should care if the movie Coppola made with his won money isn’t a huge hit? He doesn’t seem to care and yet i just read things like “this was supposed to save cinema” and other mockery takes.

If Hollywood greedy executives aren’t able to save it even with their highly succesful tested products, why a director passion project would? The movie that allegedly would never be made now exists in his own terms, this is his victory. Being a flop now doesn’t mean it’ll be a flop forever, most memorable movies are historical flops once rejected by audiences. 

Not saying it’ll happen with this movie, but i would bet this have more chances of being culturally relevant in some decades than the biggest movies of Disney this year for example.

• Like 4

Probably 37M-ish for The Wild Robot. Great considering the budget, should have amazing legs. Currently expecting +150M DOM / +300M WW. Great movie, deserves the success.

Curious about The Substance, it did had some very strong holds on weekdays.

• Like 1

Coppola directed 4 of the top 50 English language movies ever committed to film, don't fall for the bait. The Conversation in particular, astonishing work.

My hot take for the day is that Goodfellas isn't even a top 5 Scorsese movie. It's a terrific film and alot of fun, but I guess my problem is I watched the Sopranos in full before I ever saw Goodfellas and it feels like a deeper, truer exploration of alot of the same stuff. It's also proof Marty is just the GOAT to have such a fantastic film not arguably not in his top five.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Coppola directed 4 of the top 50 English language movies ever committed to film, don't fall for the bait. The Conversation in particular, astonishing work.

My hot take for the day is that Goodfellas isn't even a top 5 Scorsese movie. It's a terrific film and alot of fun, but I guess my problem is I watched the Sopranos in full before I ever saw Goodfellas and it feels like a deeper, truer exploration of alot of the same stuff. It's also proof Marty is just the GOAT to have such a fantastic film not arguably not in his top five.

Yeah. With you there. I think within what most people consider the top tier stuff, I'd only put Wolf of Wall Street and Taxi Driver in my top 5. Then you throw in Last Temptation, Mean Streets, and Bringing Out the Dead all in there, with After Hours not far behind (haven't seen all his movies yet though. Should probably see King of Comedy sometime this weekend, given...well, you know).

Mean Streets in particular is really underappreciated. I get the complains. But if anything, it being so rough around the edges and not as handsome as something like Goodfellas or Departed is part of its charm and what makes me love it so much.

Spoiler

Departed is also mid-tier Scorsese. 4/5 material. I know part of it is because it made so much money, so that's why people are so familiar with it, but I don't even consider it top 10 for Marty.