filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This answers it, but I’d argue audience reception wasn’t terrible, it got a B-. 

The opening Sunday was also inflated by a holiday Monday. 

(it’s the best film in the franchise, IMO). 

BLASPHEMY!!!

• Astonished 1

38 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

Can someone please explain to me why the Saturday increases are so horrible this weekend like the wild robot has less than a 50 percent jump on Saturday 

I think it's clear at this point that TWR is playing to more of an adult audience than prior fall season animation comps. It's having better weekdays and less pronounced Saturday bumps.

54 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

Can someone please explain to me why the Saturday increases are so horrible this weekend like the wild robot has less than a 50 percent jump on Saturday 

Because there is a holiday on Monday. This tend to happen with long weekend where some of the (quite a lot in fact) actual weekend business shift to Monday holiday, resulting to a more muted Saturday increase. The situation got really bad post-Covid and now I begin to conclude the federal holiday have little help to boost BO.    

Wild Robot still having a great weekend hold despite the muted Saturday bump, better than Elemental and Cloudy's third weekends if it holds.

Deadline has some context to its international run:

Joker: Folie A Deux Sees Big Global Box Office Drop In Second Weekend (deadline.com)

The wild run of Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s The Wild Robot continues as its staggered rollout added 19 markets including France, Spain, Italy and Brazil this session. The offshore weekend tally was $24.1M (-23% in the holdovers), for a $64.7M international cume to date. Globally, the Chris Sanders-directed charmer is at $148.5M. Overseas, the running total is performing above The Bad Guys, Migration and Trolls in the same markets (excluding China). Still to release are the UK this coming Friday, and Japan on February 7 next year.

The Top 5 overseas markets to date are: Mexico ($10.8M and coming off just a 6% drop), Australia ($9.4M), China ($7M), Germany ($3.3M), France and Korea ($3M each).

Biggest markets left are UK, Belgium, and Sweden next week, Turkey in early November and Japan in Feb 2025 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

This tells how long I've been around, but the discussion back in the BOM days of how badly F13 '09 would drop was epic. Such terrible WOM and it was felt all the way around that board. We had fun with it in weekend 2 kicking it around as best as we could with the old mod guard at the time. 

Lol when you realize you've participated in the BOM/BOT boards for more than 20 years - it makes you feel old.

But 2009 was an epic year for box office and great discussions. After 2 meh / mediocre ones (the slump of 2005-2008 was interesting), 2009 started with a bang and never really let up - both in flops and successes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unfitclock said:

You can make an argument it is due to the Jewish holiday Yom Kippur. Adults are preoccupied during the day and don't have time to take the kids. 

43 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Wild Robot still having a great weekend hold despite the muted Saturday bump, better than Elemental and Cloudy's third weekends if it holds.

Deadline has some context to its international run:

Joker: Folie A Deux Sees Big Global Box Office Drop In Second Weekend (deadline.com)

The wild run of Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s The Wild Robot continues as its staggered rollout added 19 markets including France, Spain, Italy and Brazil this session. The offshore weekend tally was $24.1M (-23% in the holdovers), for a $64.7M international cume to date. Globally, the Chris Sanders-directed charmer is at $148.5M. Overseas, the running total is performing above The Bad Guys, Migration and Trolls in the same markets (excluding China). Still to release are the UK this coming Friday, and Japan on February 7 next year.

The Top 5 overseas markets to date are: Mexico ($10.8M and coming off just a 6% drop), Australia ($9.4M), China ($7M), Germany ($3.3M), France and Korea ($3M each).

Biggest markets left are UK, Belgium, and Sweden next week, Turkey in early November and Japan in Feb 2025 

I absolutely hate the rollout that these movies have had in Japan. Like, many months later???

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

INSIDE OUT II on the other hand has just ended its run with 652.98M. Disney didn't even bother to push it a little bit further to beat JURASSIC WORLD's 653.41M.

Theres such a thing as justice in this world after all

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

JFAD is better than Joker but kinda deserves this for all the money/awards the first film didn't warrant. The real dream would be the Endgame follow-up flopping this miserably (I guess The Marvels is the closest we will get to that).

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Can’t seem to find Transformers international number for this weekend? It opened in the rest of its markets, I believe. I imagine it didn’t make much, but it could help give a better idea of where it will land overall.

32 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

JFAD is better than Joker but kinda deserves this for all the money/awards the first film didn't warrant. The real dream would be the Endgame follow-up flopping this miserably (I guess The Marvels is the closest we will get to that).

Are you talking about next Avengers movies flopping like this? That is unimaginable lol. And definitely won't happen.