Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

I really don't see how TFOne makes money unless you're talking merch. Terrifier is pretty much pure profit given it was a cheap indie.

I said nothing about making money for the studio, I went out of my way to say that Paramount probably isn't happy actually. You were talking specifically about the family audience not being starved for movies. I was pointing out that the horror films are successful because of low budgets, not because they're driving more people to the theaters than the Transformers or Wild Robot or the both of them combined.

What's going on the studio side in terms of profits because of the budgets has nothing to do with the raw dollars generated and the actual admissions. Clearly family audiences did want something to see and wanted to see new movies. It's just not gonna be enough for Paramount in this case and is a poor result because it doesn't have a Paw Patrol budget. It is what it is. 

Edited by wattage

Noticing a lot of posts about where TF One should've opened on the calendar. Might be an unpopular position, but I don't think it would've mattered when it released. I firmly believe the fatal flaw is that Transformers is such an exhausted theatrical brand at this point, any additional revenue from a date with less competition would've likely been small and wouldn't have saved it (ditto for starting promo with a different trailer than the one they chose). Not making one or two of the more recent live-action entries would've been more helpful, although I understand the necessity to keep those going for the IP as a whole.

In other words, regardless of execution, I think it was a doomed concept from the start given where the franchise is at now. Ideally, they should give it a rest for a few years before trying to boot it back up, but I have a pretty good feeling that they won't.

Edited by misterpepp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

I really don't see how TFOne makes money unless you're talking merch. Terrifier is pretty much pure profit given it was a cheap indie.

I think the point is very clear, sometime a 200m disappointment like antman 3 still draw more people to cinema than a 30m profitable project. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think the point is very clear, sometime a 200m disappointment like antman 3 still draw more people to cinema than a 30m profitable project. 

But Antman 3's $280M budget could have been used to make 140 Terrifier 3 films. Goes to show you have much money studios waste on blockbusters.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

But Antman 3's $280M budget could have been used to make 140 Terrifier 3 films. Goes to show you have much money studios waste on blockbusters.

You sound it like another 140 terrifier would be equally successful as what we have now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misterpepp said:

Noticing a lot of posts about where TF One should've opened on the calendar. Might be an unpopular position, but I don't think it would've mattered when it released. I firmly believe the fatal flaw is that Transformers is such an exhausted theatrical brand at this point, any additional revenue from a date with less competition would've likely been small and wouldn't have saved it (ditto for starting promo with a different trailer than the one they chose). Not making one or two of the more recent live-action entries would've been more helpful, although I understand the necessity to keep those going for the IP as a whole.

In other words, regardless of execution, I think it was a doomed concept from the start given where the franchise is at now. Ideally, they should give it a rest for a few years before trying to boot it back up, but I have a pretty good feeling that they won't.

I also feel like the movie itself is at fault here too. As great as I thought it was, even I have to admit it was way too lore-packed and fan-oriented for its own good. I think @Eric is Smiling brought this up too somewhere. A lot of casuals were likely confused by all the Transformers terminology, which probably prevented them from truly connecting to the movie, thus depriving it from the staying power it desperately needed given the initial disinterest from that demographic.

I definitely agree though that Paramount's mismanagement of the brand doomed this from the start. Especially Beasts last year killing all the goodwill Bumblebee accumulated by relapsing into the same mistakes that killed the Bay era in the first place was the finishing blow. Had this been the first movie out since Bumblebee, after a nice 6-year hiatus, I bet it would've done a whole lot better than it did. Sadly we'll never know for sure, as hindsight is 20/20.

I disagree on your last point though. I genuinely don't see an outcome where the franchise doesn't go into a decade-long slumber after two failures in a row. Lest we forget, there's an all new Paramount regime on the way, a regime that isn't buddy buddy with Lorenzo and all the other current producers. I think One will be the last time we see these characters on film for a very long time. Remember, positive fan reception couldn't prevent Star Trek Beyond from flopping either, and we have still yet to see that property on the big screen again, a whopping 8 years after its release.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

You sound it like another 140 terrifier would be equally successful as what we have now. 

I’d bet all 140 combined would still easily outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp. Assuming Terrifier 3 makes 50 mil, you need like 5 similarly budgeted films to make that much to outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp.

On top of that you’d have a more diversified slate of movies that caters to different types of movie-goers.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I’d bet all 140 combined would still easily outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp. Assuming Terrifier 3 makes 50 mil, you need like 5 similarly budgeted films to make that much to outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp.

On top of that you’d have a more diversified slate of movies that caters to different types of movie-goers.

No. You'd have an endless wave of horror films because those are what consistently make money at low budgets!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Funny to think when The Substance first opened that people were wishing A24 were distributing it. But now it's grossing on par, if not more than what it would have been under them, and it's more likely to get awards buzz than if A24 had their hands on it. Love to see it.