Eric is Gay for Venom

VENOM: THE LAST DANCE WEEKEND THREAD

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Random thought: I believe the massive success of Deadpool & Wolverine had a negative impact on Venom 3’s potential, because it scratched that anti-hero CBM itch for a lot of potential audience, and set such a high bar of quality, high entertainment value for cost, than it made this film seem far more superfluous

Yeah, you really have to offer top, top quality but that's like 1 big budget movie in 4 or 5. Or some amazing fan service = nostalgia. Another option is to focus more on under 12 + family audience.

32 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Sony was cursed that they can only release Jumanji movies when a Star Wars movie comes out in December, and Disney is trying to not make any Star Wars movies anymore 

Well the only SW movie shooting rn is aiming for a May release so they are cooked (tho I bet they switch it up to December since they have that day locked).

36 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Kraven comin in hot

I can't imagine Kraven doing very well after how much it's been delayed. Numbers similar to other schlocky action titles released around Christmas ala 47 Ronin or Assassin's Creed feel like its best case scenario.

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Random thought: I believe the massive success of Deadpool & Wolverine had a negative impact on Venom 3’s potential, because it scratched that anti-hero CBM itch for a lot of potential audience, and set such a high bar of quality, high entertainment value for cost, than it made this film seem far more superfluous

This was a very odd year for comic book films, with heavy focus on anti heroes and villains. Even on TV, we've got villain based shows with Penguin and Agatha on the air right now.

Next year swings back Superman, Captain America and Fantastic Four. If Sony was on the ball, we'd have the final

Spiderverse film as well. All more traditional heroes with only Thunderbolts being the major anti hero type show.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The law of diminishing returns catching up to these movies is hardly surprising.

Yup, pretty much, although I'll say that if Venom 2's quality had been on par with the first one (come on, it was really fun) then this one could probably have made better numbers than the decent-ish numbers it appears to be making.

3 hours ago, M37 said:

Ha!

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, toutvabien said:

Speaking of Sony's big franchises and since the Rock has been mentioned earlier with Black Adam's opening... how on earth have they not made another Jumanji movie already?

COVID happened. I talked about it before, but COVID stopped all its development in its tracks.

Dwayne's filming schedule was supposed to be Red Notice in early 2020, followed by shooting Black Adam in the summer, and then likely Jumanji 3 was going to be shot directly after Black Adam was done in the fall and come out in time for Christmas 2021 or 2022. But then COVID bumped all those projects back by a few months, with Dwayne finishing Black Adam in July 2021. By then, all the other major cast members had other commitments, so it got harder to schedule, while Dwayne and Jake Kasdan decided to develop Red One for Amazon and the actor is going through a rebrand crisis after Black Adam bombed and he went with Moana as the safer horse to bet on. Which like...it is the right choice in the end, but it basically means if we ever get that inevitable Jumanji 3, it will be like Night at the Museum 3 where nobody will care anymore.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do buy that Deadpool & Wolverine was such a massive zeitgeist-hitting marketing event that it was impossible for Joker and Venom to measure up to it coming out afterwards. They both feel like sloppy seconds.

Joker 2 would definitely have made bank anyway if it only had delivered what the fans expected, instead of giving us whatever the hell that was and being that vile to its own main character.

Venom 3 should still have done a bit better as well if the quality of the first one had been kept, but I agree its hype was probably affected by Deadpool and Wolverine as well.

• Like 1

Shazam = $70M OWeek / $140M DOM

Black Adam = $83M OWeek / $168M DOM

So ~$28M is what Rock headlining brought to BA above generic C-list DC comic character 

(The international numbers are almost identical, but post-COVID overseas is more uphill climb, so his presence IMO helped to sustain rather than fall off)

Venom 3 looks to be heading for about that same Shazam DOM range fwiw, would think ~$350M WW

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What's everyone's top 5 Spider-man villains from the comics or movies?

The movies and games have basically done all the notable ones, so my list matches up with the movies and games but i like the comics versions the most usually.

Mysterio- comics, Jake did great in the movies but not a big fan of that version 

Green Goblin - comics and movies 

Doc Ock - comics and movies,

Spiderverse version was really fun 

Mister Negative - comics and the game

Sandman - movie 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do buy that Deadpool & Wolverine was such a massive zeitgeist-hitting marketing event that it was impossible for Joker and Venom to measure up to it coming out afterwards. They both feel like sloppy seconds.

Joker was doomed regardless but I agree with this for Venom to a degree. I think everything that people thought was cool coming off that first trailer pre-Deadpool was very small potatoes post-Deadpool. And I'm not a huge fan of that movie at all but when you have a huge event like that it does suck up the air in the room. Venom would've had to have been firing on all cylinders to overcome that hill and it just isn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

This was a very odd year for comic book films, with heavy focus on anti heroes and villains. Even on TV, we've got villain based shows with Penguin and Agatha on the air right now.

Next year swings back Superman, Captain America and Fantastic Four. If Sony was on the ball, we'd have the final

Spiderverse film as well. All more traditional heroes with only Thunderbolts being the major anti hero type show.

It is worth noting this year turned out the way it did because of Marvel and DC both going through some heavy restructuring and deciding to mostly take the year off, save for the one mostly standalone movie for both of them to still bring in some revenue in the meantime. It's the same reason why Aquaman was the only DC movie for 2018, as they were too busy heavily retooling everything following Batman v Superman's disappointment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

8.5M?! It's actually going over the last few days' expectations. It's over what Charlie said in this thread by a million as well!

Keep that up and I can see 65M OW.