Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's getting an August 2019  release date......which does not exactly scream "the studio has confidence in this movie".

Or, in fewer words. it's being dumped.

WB didn’t have confidence in Suicide Squad either? Disney dumped GOTG just as they’re dumping Christopher Robin?

This may turn out to be a dumpster fire. But the release date it currently has doesn’t have anything to do with it. Delays are worrying, but the August date means zilch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm fearful for this movie too, but yeah, the August release date on its own is not a concern for me. In fact, I'm thankful Fox recognised that August is a perfectly viable slot for tentpole films because I don't understand how last August and this August are so barren in terms of big studio productions given how successful SS and GOTG were. The issue is that it's the one occasion in recent years when August is pretty stacked, with Hobbs and Shaw, Dora the Explorer, Artemis Fowl, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood all currently opening in the space of a fortnight.

Just now, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Is this aiming for a PG13 or R rating? Because Disney’s streaming service won’t imclude R rated movies, so this could be headed to Netflix.

They could put it on Hulu if it's rated R.  After the merger Disney will own 2/3rd of it but my guess is it was going PG-13 because of the YA angle.  I assume it was meant to appeal to teenagers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Is this aiming for a PG13 or R rating? Because Disney’s streaming service won’t imclude R rated movies, so this could be headed to Netflix.

Thats what they said before they could say anything about plans including Fox. Now we wait.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

I was doubting this for a while, but you're probably right.  What a depressing era we live in.

Eh, in an earlier time a thought to be sizable budgeted studio misfire would have been dumped in a few hundred theaters to satisfy any contractual obligations with minimal P&A and then show up on VHS or DVD a year or two later.  No era was eager to release a movie they thought was going to cost them money while also tarnishing their brand.  Lots of movies never got released at all.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I was doubting this for a while, but you're probably right.  What a depressing era we live in.

You seem pretty oblivious to the huge problems this film has throughout it's production. I don't blame Disney for cutting it losses on this and not spend money on a release of a film they know will fail.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm guessing because WB just banished Mowgli to Netflix, the same will happen to this troubled production. It seems to be the new thing for movies that studios just want to wash their hands of.

Does anybody have the budget for "New Mutants"?

"New Mutants" sounds like a interesting idea for a X men movie that just got hopeless messed up in the making.

It's like Tele said vis a vid the 2015 Fantastic Four. SOmetimes, despite the best of intentions, a film just goes into the crapper from almost day one. This certainly sounds like one of those.

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Why?

Not convinced this will go to stereaming, but everything about the history of the makng of this screams that Fox..and probably Disney,,,, knows it has a mess on it's hands.

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If I were running Disney I'd release it on streaming as well. It never looked good and the constant release date changes point to it being a near certainty that it isn't a quality film.  

I think the total mess that was the making of this,and the massive reshoots, are a dead giveaway we have a less then optimum film on our hands.

Thing is that studios are very reluctant to write off a film they have spent a great deal of money on. I wonder if it's because it's easier to tell Stockholders "We released it but it did not do very well" then to tell them'We made a film so bad we did not want to release it". despite the fact with the latter option, you save on marketing and the costs of release.