30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

One of the better found footage movies I've seen. It's a bit too short and the characters can be annoying at times (Hud in particular), but it's also a gripping experience.

B+

It's definitely not for people who get motion sickness easily, however. I never have, yet I still recall feeling like I was about to lose my dinner near the end.

• Like 1

DGreat concept, great marketing, terrible execution. I didn't remotely care about the characters, I felt the found footage gimmick was increasingly awkward, and the set pieces basically stole from other, better films.

This pretty much sums up my whole take on the movie.  Too many stupid things the characters did, plus they were unlikable so all in all, I didn't care if they died or not.

I may not go as low as a D, but still around a C, C- range.

• Like 2

The characters arent great, I'll give you haters that, but the filmmaking here is absolutely remarkable. It's a director's piece. The movie kept surprising me and going from one pulse racing set piece to another. I was on the edge of my seat through the whole thing.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

Liked it.

I wished Pacific Rim had immersed me half as much.

Sure this gets hate in the times of all these action-event-spectacles which are considered bad if the whole cinema isn't standing, clapping and applauding. Still a much better movie than many of those, imho. A true direction gem.

B+

Just saw it again, and I stand by what I said, this is the best monster movie ever made, the ultimate "big ass monster wrecking shit up" movie. 

I just love how intense and immersive all of it feels. I also love its sense of humor (TJ Miller is hilarious) and the believable performances.

100/100

Oddly enough, the most enticing part of Cloverfield is the first twenty minutes, before the monster even attacks. Although the characters are archetypes, getting to know them in the fun energy found-footage provides is a great argument for that way of telling film stories to still be used. The rest is good, but tiring at points. There's only so much running one can take without it becoming dull. TJ Miller is easily the best person in the cast as comic relief, whereas everyone else takes the silly monster movie too seriously. Cloverfield is a cool movie on a conceptual level but just an okay one in execution. C+