Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

TA is not TDK. TDK is a masterpiece. TA is a well-executed popcorn flick. Both films are in two different realms of existence.

TDK isn't a mastepiece (sonar and ferry boat stuff is really stupid), but I do think the last 10 minutes are far better than Avengers' ending. That TDK ending gives me chills every time I see it. The only time I got chills in Avengers was when...

Banner said he's always mad and then quickly turned into the Hulk, then stopped the giant alien thing with one punch. Then right after that the Avengers assembled together. Only thing I wish on this shot was they didn't show it in the film's marketing material. Would have been more powerful, but it still gave me chills seeing it in the context of the movie.

cause you were bitchy to me. You can`t deny that HP movies had serious gaps in logic due to important stuff omissions amid all the care about character and shit. See, happens to character drivne movies too. That doesn`t make them bad, just "could have been ah-mazing if...".

Don't worry, hun. Their World is falling apart today, it's understandable. :)

BOM provided the 3D/IMAX splits.Assuming the $200.3M estimate holds, Avengers sold 20,885,692 tickets on OW. 3D share went down over the weekend to 52%

What's that rank all-time? It's right up there with TDK and SM3 right?

I think people are getting a little carried away. Sure, TA maybe has an outside chance at TITANIC (and even that's amazing!). But it doesn't have a chance at AVATAR (those insane winter legs just crush any summer film), and honestly, in terms of TDK, legs are weaker now than they were in '08. TA has an excellent chance of passing TA because its OW was so huge, but I think even a 3x multiplier would be an amazing achievement.

Kloves has always been the major problem. They had good directors and Columbus, the weakest of the bunch, is responsible for amazing cast.

The backstory was in. So were the memories in HBP. He even wrote a death scene for Tonks/Lupin.The directors cut those, not Kloves. He also wrote the funeral.I can never say I wish Colombus hadn't directed the first installment, because he got us the most incredible cast ever.

200M opening weekend is more exciting to me and much more "event"like to me than 70 million weekend grosses 10 weekends in a row.TDK was beyond awesome.So was TA.

Uh ok you take your grossly inflated $200m, most others will take the 10x legs as a far rarer feat at the level it performed.

Yes, and TDK is no (real) superhero movie; more like a crime flick like Heat.

I don't buy that. This is a superhero ending if there ever was one. A unique individual sacrificing his own reputation because it's the right thing to do. It is very much a comic book movie with an amazing ending.

I think it's WOM and audience reaction is just as strong as it was for TDK. Clearly, it won't have Titanic or Avatar size multi; but sight he start it's had and the level of WOM it's getting, then it doesn't need a multi that high to go past 600m. It doesn't even need a multi as much as TDK to reach 600m. If it matches TDKs multi it will pass Titanic's current DOM gross. Considering its not Summer break quite yet it's weekdays probably won't be super strong but they'll be pretty good none the less. I also means the next couple weekends will be very good. It's going pass 600m. I believe it.

Wait a second, WOM for TDK is some of the best out there ever no discussion on that. Some have it as their favorite movie of all time and more as their favorite comic book movie and I still see a lot of that on here.

I don't think you understand, mate. The Avengers has THE BEST word of mouth ever. Period. And it isn't going away. It isn't slowing down. And The Avengers final sequence is brilliant.You can proceed keeping crying after that. :) Edited by iJackSparrow

I think it's WOM and audience reaction is just as strong as it was for TDK. Clearly, it won't have Titanic or Avatar size multi; but sight he start it's had and the level of WOM it's getting, then it doesn't need a multi that high to go past 600m. It doesn't even need a multi as much as TDK to reach 600m. If it matches TDKs multi it will pass Titanic's current DOM gross.Considering its not Summer break quite yet it's weekdays probably won't be super strong but they'll be pretty good none the less. I also means the next couple weekends will be very good.It's going pass 600m. I believe it.

Good post. I think it has a legit shot at $600m.

The Avengers ending had a similar feel to the end of Transformers. Entertaining but predictable as hell.

Yes, but that`s exactly the kind of edning people want to see in a movie like this. Predictability isn`t always bad. You know that:

they can`t kill off any of the biggies so you want to see Tony prove he isn`t just a self-serving bitch, so he committs an homage-to-Abyss sacrice right down to one-way ticket line and calling his gf, you want to see someone saves him at the last minute and sure enough crowd-pleaser extraodinaire Hulk springs to action, you want to see Loki gets him comuppance and sure enough it`s Hulk again delivering cheers and standing ovation-worthy smash, you want to see Fury put those shadowy fucks in their place and he does, BW show her softer side and she does, people of NY make 9/11-like tribute to the dead and praise their saviors and a promise that TA will get together whenever there`s a need.

It`s no rocket science and it works in the context. You can go differently.

I don't buy that. This is a superhero ending if there ever was one. A unique individual sacrificing his own reputation because it's the right thing to do. It is very much a comic book movie with an amazing ending.http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

the ending is pure superhero stuff, I agree - but the overall feeling is more like a hunt the bad guy crime thing, with the bad guy as the central figure..

I re-watched DH1 on HBO today. It's actually better the 2nd time I watched it than the 1st time. I hadn't gotten to watch it since I saw it in theaters, but I enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time around. The chase scene through the forest is exciting, best part of the movie.

The backstory was in. So were the memories in HBP. He even wrote a death scene for Tonks/Lupin.The directors cut those, not Kloves. He also wrote the funeral.I can never say I wish Colombus hadn't directed the first installment, because he got us the most incredible cast ever.

I'm happy Colombus directed the first. It remains, to this day, one of the most heart-warming, truly magical films of all time.