Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

BTW, considering TASM is in 3D and is being shown with every 3D showing of TA, I think baumer should be doing this right now in regards to our friendly wager:

I saw it in 3D last night and didn't get the trailer....Seen it twice in 2D and 3D and still no TDKR trailer either. Feels bad.

I think that whether you agree with Baumer's assessment or not, it is a good point to ponder. This is not officially a sequel, and it's definitely the first of a sure-to-happen series of TA films, but in a lot of ways, it could be seen as a 'culmination' of a long-gestating, long-in-the-works, carefully designed/planned/marketed narrative, which included 4 films. This does not take away anything from the film's success, but it's good food for thought.

Well, if you guys want to use semantics and say it's not a sequel, then no prolem. But you know what I mean. The reason sequels don't become the top grossing films of all time is because there are only so many fans of the movie and eventually, it will die out. Where as an original film like Star Wars, ET, Titanic and Avatar start slowly or slower. They build up an audience and they drops are even better as they go along. It's like a sprinter vs a marathon runner. That sprinter might get so far out in front but when it comes down to the last 5 miles, their lungs are burning and their legs are rubber. Same thing will happen to Avengers.

As always, dead on. People are getting way too excited about this opening weekend. What's amazing about it is that Disney managed to whip fans up into such a frenzy that they had to see it opening weekend without fail. And, like Potter, there were plenty of screens to meet the demand. Yet it is still a sequel. It can only make so much money. Right now I'll still be genuinely surprised if it tops $500 million. Mainly due to the films that are coming. Would DK have made as much as it did if it had opened in May, instead of last major out of the gate? I'm not sure. DKR might well fall somewhat short of this opening weekend. But it doesn't have massive films to come after it that'll compete for its screens and people's time. I still think DKR will beat TA in total. We'll see though.

A balanced, intelligent assessment of the possible outcome of the film, without any blindly passionate hyperbole getting in the way of common sense. No "OMG!!!! THIS ROCKKKS IS GONNA GROSS 800 TRILLION DOLLARS!!!" here. BKB should learn from you.

Look, let the people have one day of joy and out of this world predictions. After several days of less godly behavior things will calm down for most. There are as legitimate to say them as you were to post a 80 mil opening weekend. Just because they're feeling happy doesn't mean somebody has to rain on their parade right away. Let the numbers come and if they are amazing, they were right. If they are good, things will calm down. But telling anybody here to act without "blindly passionate hyperbole getting in the way of common sense". :huh: As I said - 80 mil opening weekend?

On the contrary... Avengers has not performed like a typical sequel so far.And it is breaking out of the comic-book/action crowd and getting excellent WOM from everywhere. So there isn't an upper cap on its potential.

Let's wait for at least numbers from weekend 2 before making any final statements. Edited by Shantal

Interesting that more than half of those are superhero movies. Really do draw the crowds, don't they?

He missed Harry Potter - Deathly Hollows Part 2, which was also a record-breaker and not a superhero movie.What is also interesting is that both the first and last Harry Potter movies set new weekend records. Both were broken the very next year by a superhero movie released the first weekend of May. Edited by doctoru2

I think that whether you agree with Baumer's assessment or not, it is a good point to ponder. This is not officially a sequel, and it's definitely the first of a sure-to-happen series of TA films, but in a lot of ways, it could be seen as a 'culmination' of a long-gestating, long-in-the-works, carefully designed/planned/marketed narrative, which included 4 films. This does not take away anything from the film's success, but it's good food for thought.

5 films, not 4. In fact, one of them (IM2) was primarily a commercial for the Avengers.

He missed Harry Potter - Deathly Hollows Part 2, which was also a record-breaker and not a superhero movie.What is also interesting is that both the first and last Harry Potter movies set new weekend records. Both were broken the very next year by a superhero movie released the first weekend of May.

It didn't break the ticket sales record.

He missed Harry Potter - Deathly Hollows Part 2, which was also a record-breaker and not a superhero movie.What is also interesting is that both the first and last Harry Potter movies set new weekend records. Both were broken the very next year by a superhero movie released the first weekend of May.

And each of the Marvel films hit a new milestone.

From page 297 to 314...All these timejumps give me headaches... :)Well...where are we?Oh yeah:207 MILLIONS?????!!!!!!What a hysterical number. It grows, grows...So:- records will stay that way until Avengers 2- Titanic is in trouble.- Avengers is NOT a sequel.- I want to see this movie another time.

Yes!We talked about the "poesy/History repeating itself" of the situation some pages/hours ago. No one is blind to this phenom. We are amazed! Isn't this great? :)( i like HP, by the way)And welcome!