CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

And open endings. That is becoming a must in every movie. Even Dark Shadows has an open ending! Just why did that movie needed one?!

I know it doesn't really say anything, but talking about

endings or non-endings

is surely a spoiler. You've done this before too. Should stop assuming everyone has seen everything because we don't go as fast as you.

welp im off to my senior prom, back tomorrow morning, hopefully ill wake up looking at a amazing 100M+ Avengers weekend number, everybody else on the boards have a great day!

Don't have sex!
  • Like 1

welp im off to my senior prom, back tomorrow morning, hopefully ill wake up looking at a amazing 100M+ Avengers weekend number, everybody else on the boards have a great day!

Aw have fun.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I'm new and aware that next to you I know nothing about box office numbers. With that said, I think you are understimating THE AVENGERS, it does have a shot against AVATAR. :P

I know very little myself. I just clean up after the gremlins around here. ;)

Very well, but they should at least demonstrate a certain understanding of box office trends and behavior.

Yes, but to even imply that a film could maintain it's Fri drop from opening day throughout the weekend, especially in this day and age, that's just immensely poor and flat out lazy journalism.

I agree with you guys on that aspect. This week in particular is very puzzling as to why they projected so low. My best guess is that they were going with what the odds were telling them (which is that VERY few movies open huge and not drop hard the next week) -- and possibly forgetting about Mother's Day boosting Sunday. Doesn't make them right at all, but, I'd rather they be too conservative rather than too liberal with their predictions. Their unofficial purpose is to provide a baseline, methinks. Its sites like BO, Guru, and Mojo that people go to to get more detailed analyses.

There's nothing really wrong with reusing the same basic plot since it works so well as a narrative. It's the characters and world that each prospective film delivers that makes you engrossed in the intricacies of the universe. After all, why it's so successful is because it's most relatable to the hypothetical impartial viewer. I think, if we're talking about the Avatar backlash, it's because it did gross $750m without being all that involving IMO. Luke and Harry were better protagonists and had a stronger support cast. Can't comment on Star Trek having only seen the JJ Abrams remake and Neo, while quite badly acted, had quite an intelligent absorbing plot thrusting it forward. Plus, in each of those, the characters are growing throughout the journey. I can't even remember what Jake, if that's his name, was doing. Don't think he grew much. The world has a lot of potential, the characters not so much. Quite one dimensional.

With a $29.1 million gross Friday, Disney's "The Avengers" is out adventuring for the soph sesh domestic B.O. record, but it may require a slightly stronger hold to beat it.Compared with last Friday, the actioner is performing 64% below its opening weekend. This is a reasonable drop for a B.O. buster like "Avengers," but if it persists through Sunday, pic will fall barely short of beating "Avatar's" second frame feat of $75.5 million

Damn Variety really are clueless, i can't see how this doesn't beat 75mil.

That's one of the funniest posts I've ever read coming from a publication that is supposed to know movies. That's just plain embarrassing. They actually took last weeks numbers and penciled this Saturday in for a drop of about 10%.
  • Like 1

I know very little myself. I just clean up after the gremlins around here. ;)I agree with you guys on that aspect. This week in particular is very puzzling as to why they projected so low. My best guess is that they were going with what the odds were telling them (which is that VERY few movies open huge and not drop hard the next week) -- and possibly forgetting about Mother's Day boosting Sunday. Doesn't make them right at all, but, I'd rather they be too conservative rather than too liberal with their predictions. Their unofficial purpose is to provide a baseline, methinks. Its sites like BO, Guru, and Mojo that people go to to get more detailed analyses.

What's this little debate people are getting worked up on? Which site does anyone here refer to either than those?

I'm new and aware that next to you I know nothing about box office numbers. With that said, I think you are understimating THE AVENGERS, it does have a shot against AVATAR. :P

Where? Domestically? I'd give that about a 1 in 100 chance of passing Avatar. Internationally, not a chance in the world.

Have fun.

I know very little myself. I just clean up after the gremlins around here. ;)I agree with you guys on that aspect. This week in particular is very puzzling as to why they projected so low. My best guess is that they were going with what the odds were telling them (which is that VERY few movies open huge and not drop hard the next week) -- and possibly forgetting about Mother's Day boosting Sunday. Doesn't make them right at all, but, I'd rather they be too conservative rather than too liberal with their predictions. Their unofficial purpose is to provide a baseline, methinks. Its sites like BO, Guru, and Mojo that people go to to get more detailed analyses.

Mother's Day is not the thing they're screwing up on. It's the simple fact that they're forgetting yesterday did not have midnights whereas last Friday did have midnights. You simply can't apply a drop including midnights across an entire weekend. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Where? Domestically? I'd give that about a 1 in 100 chance of passing Avatar. Internationally, not a chance in the world.

He was talking about worldwide, someone orig asked if it was feasable for the Avengers to hit 2bil worldwide and catch AVATAR.

I agree with this, but at the same time, outside of Avatar when was the last time a film came along that even had a 1 in 100 shot of passing $750M. I just find it insane that it still has an outside hope of passing TDK worldwide on Sunday (which is today where I am :D )

rallax, any updates?

Yes, he texted me. They have sold840 tickets so far and it is 230 in Houston right now. So they sold 1000 tickets after 5 pm last night, so if they do that again tonight, they will hit 2000, which would be in line for a 45 mill saturday. Last Sat they sold 3000.

Yes, he texted me. They have sold840 tickets so far and it is 230 in Houston right now. So they sold 1000 tickets after 5 pm last night, so if they do that again tonight, they will hit 2000, which would be in line for a 45 mill saturday. Last Sat they sold 3000.

Thanks, 55% increase for Saturday.