Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

From Corpss:
This second weekend is going to be the second biggest weekend ever, only behind its opening weekend. It's also looking to be 35% higher than the old opening weekend record before it was broken last weekend by 51%. It's also going to be break the second weekend record by over 90%.

It continues to look very likely that it'll take four weeks in release before it stops breaking the old all time records before it opened. Does this make sense? Its sort of hard to explain and wrap one's head around. If you just ignore what it did in its first week, and now in its second week, and likely in its third week next week, THEN it may stop breaking the old all time records. Let me know if I'm explaining this well.

Fun fact: If you would take the 10-day total for every other film in history, they wouldn't even make the Top 200 films with their gross. Japan is a market more about pacing versus sprinting, and this just tells you even more how unprecedented Demon Slayer's performance is so far. It's not simply breaking every record so far in its run, and re-breaking those old records again now in its second week (and probably again in its third week).

:hahaha:
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Japanese population skewed older, this must have done something remarkable in order to attract non-teen, non-anime fans to see it in group. I heard this anime brand before but it wasn't that popular in overseas like one-piece or attack on titan. This madness come as a total surprise to me and I just don't get how this become so much bigger that rival Miyaozaki legacy as a full blown cinematic event. 

I think Endgame still a way way bigger story at worldwide level, but in Japan, endgame isn't even the biggest story in 2019. So EG is not worthy to be compared with DS

I agree with what you said, but I was referring to it on a personal level.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Japanese population skewed older, this must have done something remarkable in order to attract non-teen, non-anime fans to see it in group. I heard this anime brand before but it wasn't that popular in overseas like one-piece or attack on titan. This madness come as a total surprise to me and I just don't get how this become so much bigger that rival Miyaozaki legacy as a full blown cinematic event.

Demon Slayer just has become a full-blown cultural phenomenon in Japan since the anime aired last year at least. The Manga currently obliterates the yearly manga records set by One Piece, merchandise is selling like crazy and the anime is re-airing to record viewership numbers. Ive read in some YouTube comments (i know not the most optimal source, but theyve claimed to be japanese people), that the story of demon slayer connects to Japan on many culturally signicifant levels: The values of family and especially sibling bonds, the setting in the Taisho era, where the old japanese society and world collides with the new world at the beginning of the 20th century, extremely likable protagonists and strong and well-written female characters (Demon Slayer skews way more female than for example Attack on Titan or My Hero Academia). Add to that the beautiful animation of the anime and just a great all-around Shonen story and its a recipe for success.

Also id say that while Demon Slayer hasnt reached the popularity of Attack on Titan or obviously something like Naruto or DragonBall in the west, it certainly has the potential to do so with coming seasons as the first season was very-well received last year.

• Like 1

Avatar and Endgame are the 2 craziest WW performances of the century of course, but I think the two craziest single market performances have gotta be Baahubali 2 and this. Somebody lemme know if I missed something I guess, but pretty sure.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Avatar and Endgame are the 2 craziest WW performances of the century of course, but I think the two craziest single market performances have gotta be Baahubali 2 and this. Somebody lemme know if I missed something I guess, but pretty sure.

Frozen & your name IN JAPAN

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wolf Warrior 2?

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Frozen & your name IN JAPAN

These were definitely some really impressive runs — and to be fair, it’s a bit too early in Demon Slayer’s run to say for sure. Maybe it’ll start dropping big in wknd 3 and not even be the most impressive Japan run of the century (though, SA seems like it should be above F1 or Your Name?). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Maybe it’ll start dropping big in wknd 3 and not even be the most impressive Japan run of the century (though, SA seems like it should be above F1 or Your Name?). 

Corpse in World of KJ said theres actually a chance that Demon Slayer stays flat or increases in weekend 3, since Nov 1 is a holiday in Japan. Basically, all bets are off at this point.

And yes, imo, both Frozen and Your Name, while very impressive on their own, shouldnt be compared to Spirited Away. That one is in a league of its own, though i personnally think DS has a chance to challenge it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Corpse in World of KJ said theres actually a chance that Demon Slayer stays flat or increases in weekend 3, since Nov 1 is a holiday in Japan. Basically, all bets are off at this point.

Will help in admits but hurt in revenue. Even without the 1st discount it would be playing basically at full capacity.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

These were definitely some really impressive runs — and to be fair, it’s a bit too early in Demon Slayer’s run to say for sure. Maybe it’ll start dropping big in wknd 3 and not even be the most impressive Japan run of the century (though, SA seems like it should be above F1 or Your Name?). 

Any reason for it to start drop big since week 3?

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Spillover affect will go. Japan has low screen count, which means second weekend drops are better.

My hunch is that we may see a spillover 3rd weekend :ph34r:   

But, I’m not going to go too deep trying to predict weekends before they happen. It’s Japan 😛 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WandaLegion said:

My hunch is that we may see a spillover 3rd weekend :ph34r:   

But, I’m not going to go too deep trying to predict weekends before they happen. It’s Japan 😛 

May be, but I think we may see a drop. Though I was expecting a drop even today but it did well.

What is greatly benefitting Demon Slayer is that it basically has 0 competition for the next weeks or even months, hence it will occupy the majority of japans cinema screens far longer than other big releases in the near past.

• Like 1