Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

7 minutes ago, Melvin Frohike said:

The connection would be vague at best, and subject to a number of other factors, but I was under the impression that generally a higher proportion of children would result in lower ticket prices.  A significant difference between these two movies in this respect, with Zootopia on the lower side for the sake of argument, might suggest a relative lack of adults going to see the movie without children as one reason for its sales dropping off starting in the afternoon.  However, these two movies have practically the same average ticket price, which would seem to suggest that there isn't a major difference in their audience demographics.  This proves nothing, but I have to grope for clues wherever I can find them. ;)

Ah, got it. Is there somewhere that lists the average ticket prices? I did a rough calculation myself using the weekend gross and mimorin's weekend seating numbers and Zootopia's does have a very low ticket price relative to the other movies in the top 10 (it is almost the same as Conan, but all of the ticket prices are in a narrow band), even lower than Crayon Shin-Chan, although I'm not sure if those numbers are the total tickets sold or only 2/3rds of them.

18 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Ah, got it. Is there somewhere that lists the average ticket prices? I did a rough calculation myself using the weekend gross and mimorin's weekend seating numbers and Zootopia's does have a very low ticket price relative to the other movies in the top 10 (it is almost the same as Conan, but all of the ticket prices are in a narrow band), even lower than Crayon Shin-Chan, although I'm not sure if those numbers are the total tickets sold or only 2/3rds of them.

Someone said that a lot of 20 somethings go to see Conan.  Hence the stronger evenings.

We just figure the average ticket price ourselves.

Something like doeremon which is mostly children will average 1250

Mixed demos like zoo and Conan are 1350 as frozen was.

Adult films can average 1500+

If zoo doesn't win today or tomorrow,  I'm sure will on the 6th

• Like 1

I just realized my calculations included the discounted May 1, which probably skewed numbers a lot.

And it's up by over 16000 with only 6.5 hours to go, and its afternoon performance has been the strongest I've seen so far for it. There's no way it'll lose now.

1 hour ago, Melvin Frohike said:

That's an interesting theory.  I never would have thought of it myself because personally what's outside of the theater makes zero difference to me, but maybe not everyone is like that. :thinking:

For me it makes a difference because

1. Conan plotlines are usually more intense, I will be a little exhausted after watching. I don't want to finish watching Conan and still do work so I will watch in the evening or night to end my day. Zootopia is more lighthearted so it won't take as much out from me.

2. Conan usually solves his cases at night time in the movies... I don't want to finish watching the movie, get immersed in the movie's atmosphere and come out to see a bright sun.

I'm sure some people will feel the same as well.

• Like 1

Zoo needs 140k to have its highest revenue day

149k to break $3m

*1 133225 ズートピア Zoo
 *2 117272 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の…
 *3 *69655 シビル・ウォー キャプテン・…
 *4 *62528 クレヨンしんちゃん 2016…
 *5 *37183 ちはやふる~下の句~
 *6 *32507 アイアムアヒーロー
 *7 *24264 テラフォーマーズ
 *8 *20813 レヴェナント 蘇えりし者
 *9 *10963 暗殺教室-卒業編-
 10 **8963 劇場版 遊☆戯☆王 THE …
[2016/05/03 18:34 更
  • Like 1

So close to $3 million for Zoo!

AEON 10:22 PM JST

*1 144911 ズートピア
 *2 131828 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の…
 *3 *83584 シビル・ウォー キャプテン・…
 *4 *62638 クレヨンしんちゃん 2016…

What is the first sign that Zoo is officially considered as breaking out in Japan? 

Reaching daily no.1 during GW?

No.1 on 3rd weekends?

Great hold after GW? (what is an avg drop after GW anyway?)

No.1 on 4th weekends?

2 consecutive wks at no.1?

Close to staying flat from the 4th weekends on?

Reaching $50m?

Or else?

Or never?

Nothing is certain but I think Zoo reaching daily no.1 during GW is the sign of its breaking out and the following 3rd weekends no.1 with great hold will assure that.

22 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Children's Day (May 5) is usually the biggest day but since this year May 4 falls on Ladies Day it could be the biggest day instead.

Well, Wednesday is going to be bigger than Sunday. I'm pretty sure about that. Who knows what will happen on Children's Day?

Conan typically falls 60% in the post-GW weekend so I'd say the #1 spot this weekend is pretty much secured for Zootopia. Cinderella fell around 40% last year so a drop below that would be pretty good, especially since animated features tend to fall the most after GW compared to live-action movies.

And then it needs to maintain good holds from its 5th weekend on to have strong late legs like in a few other markets.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Quigley said:

Breaking out would mean making much more than the blockbuster threshold of 5B yen. Whatever form that takes. It would need very small drops to do that, similar to (or even better than) Cinderella last year.

It kind of achieved that feat with its last weekend.

Could Zootopia's second wednesday be bigger than its whole opening weekend? Seems shockingly possible to be honest. I think it'll beat its OW in admissions but miss it in gross due to discounted tickets.

9 hours ago, Melvin Frohike said:

The connection would be vague at best, and subject to a number of other factors, but I was under the impression that generally a higher proportion of children would result in lower ticket prices.  A significant difference between these two movies in this respect, with Zootopia on the lower side for the sake of argument, might suggest a relative lack of adults going to see the movie without children as one reason for its sales dropping off starting in the afternoon.  However, these two movies have practically the same average ticket price, which would seem to suggest that there isn't a major difference in their audience demographics.  This proves nothing, but I have to grope for clues wherever I can find them. ;)

That makes sense but you have to remember that other factors come into play. Zootopia has 3D while Conan doesn't so a similar ticket price would actually point towards it skewing younger than Conan (since the 3D surchage would have pushed it ahead otherwise). There's also the fact that heavily female skewing movies generally have on average lower ticket prices in this market in particular due to Ladies day. And in case a movie skews very old, then the curve is reversed and avg ticket prices generally go down due to elderly have about 40% discounts on their tix.

25 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

For the first time Zootopia was really strong during the entire day. Maybe WOM is starting to spread among adults ?

Did it even have any evening showings last week? I think it might be the theater owners that underestimated its appeal to adults.