Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's probably not hitting a $50M opening with these reviews either. ;) The marketing's not striking enough.

It wouldn't be the marketing, it would be Denzel and Pratt.  We'll see, I guess.  Better reviews would have helped, but critics this year seem to be tearing down anything they find derivative, even if there are fans of the genre who expect tropes.

Edited by trifle

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

It wouldn't be the marketing, it would be Denzel and Pratt.  We'll see, I guess.  Better reviews would have helped, but critics this year seem to be tearing down anything they find derivative, even if there are fans of the genre who expect tropes.

When was the last time a movie opened to $50M based on starpower alone? This is also targeting older audiences for the most part, who won't be quick to rush out on opening weekend.

Just now, filmlover said:

When was the last time a movie opened to $50M based on starpower alone? This is also targeting older audiences for the most part, who won't be quick to rush out on opening weekend.

I don't think it is ever ONLY star power, just that an attractive idea can gain excitement from star power. I was just saying that if the marketing didn't add that, the star power could.  And yeah, I thought of the older audience thing, especially if Sully turns out to be popular.  But I guess we will see.  I'm not really predicting a specific number.

I saw so many comments of "starpower isn't dead yet" when Money Monster opened to respectable numbers earlier this year. The determining factors for what will make a movie succeed have certainly changed dramatically over the years.

Edited by filmlover

I think it's always a combination. There's no doubt in my mind that certain stars draw the attention of an audience that otherwise might not care for a particular property. However from there on the movie actually has to look appealing enough to keep that interest alive. 

For example - I don't care for Westrens as a genre. I got excited about this because I loved everything Chris Pratt has done recently and I want to see more of him onscreen. If the movie was actually panned and I read reviews that made me doubt my enjoyment enough, I still might have skipped it eventually. I won't go into the theater for something that is a total dud.

In this case the marketing, cast and bottom line of most reviews has been good enough that I'm still excited to watch this, regardless of some negative reviews floating around.

For me with this movie it's Pratt, for some others I'm sure it's Denzel or D'Onofrio.

Point is the actual movie still has to look appealing or star power can only go so far. In this case, I think it does.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

More like Haley Bennett.

I'm disappointed no one's really singling her out in the reviews and that she just exists in the movie apparently.

@CJohn you have been failed. :sadben:

Girl on the Train will save us.

48 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Reviews have pointed her out. Perhaps you just need to read harder. ;)

She wasn't mentioned in any of the trades.

Oh well. At least she'll have a substantial part in The Girl on the Train. She's deserved to be a star after Music & Lyrics.

• Like 2