Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

28 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

64% this early is a bad sign.

I doubt it stays fresh.

It's not really that early considering it's been getting reviews for over a week and already has 36 of them at this point.

Whether it drops slightly below 60 or stays in the 60-70% zone, I think you can already get a pretty clear idea of where it's going to settle.

Chris Stuckmann gave M7 a very positive review. pretty much guarantees my enjoyment of the film. I'm not really surprised by the soft critic reception. looks like it's going to stay at 60/65% still think this will do over $45m OW. and be a hit.

• Like 2

Saw this weird-ass blurb on Rotten Tomatoes:

Like the best Westerns, it's also timely: A tale about a black hero and his six men who clean up a besieged town from rapacious businessmen, it feels like an unambiguously fond farewell to the Obama years.

http://www.timeout.com/us/film/the-magnificent-seven-2016

WTF?

• Like 4

Wonder how long until we get an RT consensus. It's just shy of 50 reviews.

ETA: Eh, they gave it a pretty harsh consensus considering it's fresh.

The Magnificent Seven never really lives up to the superlative in its title -- or the classics from which it draws inspiration -- but remains a moderately diverting action thriller on its own merits.

Snowden, which has a comparable grade, has a much more positively slanted consensus. This consensus actually sounds about as harsh as the one given to Blair Witch, which is sitting at 36%.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Tracking allegedly $35m. Not good for a $90m+ Chris Pratt film with limited international appeal. (Not including P&A, I'm in US just now- it's everywhere)

RT consensus is "moderately diverting": ouch. 

Chris Pratt film? Lol. This is really a Denzel vehicle all the way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Wonder how long until we get an RT consensus. It's just shy of 50 reviews.

ETA: Eh, they gave it a pretty harsh consensus considering it's fresh.

Snowden, which has a comparable grade, has a much more positively slanted consensus. This consensus actually sounds about as harsh as the one given to Blair Witch, which is sitting at 36%.

They do that sometimes. Lots of times it changes as more reviews come in, specially when it's that negative to begin with(the original one for X-Men Apocalypse was much more damning, for example), but by then most people who are interested in it will have already read the consensus.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sam said:

Reviews aren't stopping my Denzel train. 

Got tickets for Sat matinee. I'll at least be entertaining I'm sure, especially with The D'Onofrio. 

I mean at least one review described D'Onofrio's character as some existential manbeast from an alien dimension, so there's that

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I mean at least one review described D'Onofrio's character as some existential manbeast from an alien dimension, so there's that

I'm ready for my man Denzel doing his thing, Ethan Hawke being his charming self, Lee Buyng Hun with the same typical Asian shit that they always give him (however, me and @MrPink will take anything) and most of all, manbeast alien D'Onofrio! I am excite. 

• Like 6